5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

At a loss...

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:04 PM

At a loss...

So, i just installed a new deck into the ride this afternoon( headache i never wanna touch again haha)
but besides that story, i noticed that the dash lights,gauge cluster,heater controls arent working but the radio is light up, they where with the old deck in the car, now, the ground wire was on the side of the metal frame that holds the deck,heat controls together... so i put it back there

what could be the cause of this? sorry if this was posted somewhere else before.
i checked ( fuses, the dimmer switch,relays)

please help
Old 02-29-2012, 08:31 PM

I have only installed 3 or 4 decks. The first couple times I had similar issues. Just be patient. Working with wires is a patience game. Make sure all the wires match up to what the diagram says. Also check for any loose connections or wires. Make sure you have the correct harness for the kit. Obviously you wired something up wrong. Go back and slowly check everything over and find the mistake.

I have messed up most jobs I do the first time. I know it is a headache and you do not want to do it again and just want it to work. Take it for the learning experience it is.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 PM

try using separate grounds for the h/u and the main ground back there, or just regrounding the main one.. and this may sound silly but i have to ask... are you sure you reconnected the harness to these electronics that aren't working?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02maximakidd3.5
So, i just installed a new deck into the ride this afternoon( headache i never wanna touch again haha)
but besides that story, i noticed that the dash lights,gauge cluster,heater controls arent working but the radio is light up, they where with the old deck in the car, now, the ground wire was on the side of the metal frame that holds the deck,heat controls together... so i put it back there

what could be the cause of this? sorry if this was posted somewhere else before.
i checked ( fuses, the dimmer switch,relays)

please help
Put a new ground in and make sure you cut and ground the brown/white wire on the small white plug to get your functions back also make sure you turn your dimmer back up.also dont hook the dimmer wire upto your new headunit
Old 03-01-2012, 04:41 AM

First, it sounds like you hooked it up wrong.
Second, never work on your car's electronics with the battery connected!!!!!!

And third to address your actual problem, the fuse UNDER THE HOOD just behind the battery is blown. I think it's labled "marker" or "audio" but I can't recall. Check them all and report back. 90% sure that fuse is blown.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000

And third to address your actual problem, the fuse UNDER THE HOOD just behind the battery is blown. I think it's labled "marker" or "audio" but I can't recall. Check them all and report back. 90% sure that fuse is blown.
i just checked the under hood fuse, it's not blown unfortunately , wish it was only that one haha. but looks like i have to go back under the knife for the radio
Old 03-01-2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by cjandura
Put a new ground in and make sure you cut and ground the brown/white wire on the small white plug to get your functions back also make sure you turn your dimmer back up.also dont hook the dimmer wire upto your new headunit
I'll check this tomorrow when im not at work, i'll let you know what happeneds.
i just followed what was conncected from the other head unit i had taken out. thats why im all confused. but im going to switch where the ground is located. thanks man let u kno asap
Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 PM

Too add now i got over for no tail lights. Possibly related?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000

When I get my timing advanced I'm not disconnecting my battery for ****!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 PM

I installed my deck with out disconnecting the battery. Of course I prewired the harness inside and just plugged it in.

Make sure you you plug the wires back in for the climate control. I also grounded my headunit to the frame.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 PM

^It'll hold unless you let it stay disconected for a mad long time, or if your ECM battery is toast.

To the OP, you have a fuse blown dude, or you fried a circuit completely. How are you checking the fuses?

I guarantee one is blown, no doubt about it.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 PM

yeh yup lol, well i checked all the fuses, manually pulled them out one by one. see this morning i had tail lights and all which doesnt make sense to what im about to write well to me at least.
when i got home after po po had me pulled over. i checked the fuse under the hood that said tail lamp well that fuse wasnt blown this morning, so i changed it.... and now everything is back.... lol
Old 03-02-2012, 01:14 AM

luvlexus101: When I get my timing advanced I'm not disconnecting my battery for ****!
I'm providing the timing advance in Queens somewhere tbd next Tuesday. However, you do bring up a good point to mention: timing advance will stick whether battery is disconnected, dies, anything.. the ecu is actually reprogrammed and will not return to the original state unless reprogrammed with the proper diagnostic tool or tuning software. I can speak from personal experience as I disconnect my battery all the effin time haha. Something to note: advancing your timing does not technically mean you will have 17*, it means it will be advanced two degrees beyond what your normal timing would be (each max is different). With my mods, I am running rich at idle and wot, and this leaves me ended up with a 2* advanced timing of 15*, surprisingly. Let me know, I jacked this thread enough already...

To OP, so what's the status of everything? You're checking the mini fuse box as well, right? Accessible through the small panel located below the steering wheel close to the driver's side door through a small cover you just pop off. If you had a dead pedal it would be right above that basically. In there, I do believe there are some relays that have fuses which could have blown resulting in your loss of power to those components, and might actually lead to electric surges which could blow other fuses, so you have to check that out if you haven't. I'm just passing on what I know, I don't claim to be an expert but I have installed multiple systems. *cough* you should also come out to queens tuesday night to get your timing advanced *cough* I could check it out then no prob