5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

4 AT Guys, Worn Out Clutch Bands or VB?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 PM

4 AT Guys, Worn Out Clutch Bands or VB?

My 02 SE with 120K is starting to shift rather sloppily. To clarify, Im not asking what the symptoms of a dying transmission are. Ive accepted this isnt going to be a cheap fix.

I am trying to determine how to tell the difference between worn out clutch bands and VB issues. Any thoughts?

• 1-2 shift (at part throttle) is jerky
  • 1-2 shift on a hot day is smoother
  • 1-2 Shift (at wot) is long, though rpms dont uncontrollably jump
  • 2-3 shift is sloppily smooth (typical from what Ive read)
  • OD works fine
  • No slippage while a gear is engaged
  • Slight vibration under heavy throttle (Torque converter? Driveshafts?)
  • 4-2 and 3-1 kick downs are poorly timed
  • Fluid was changed about 8k ago, and is at proper level
  • No Codes
Old 03-15-2012, 10:51 PM

What method was used to change the fluid? You didn't powerflush it did you?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Get Off My Lawn

I learned that a great deal of my shift issues (specifically any jerkyness and such) the the issue was not the tranny, but rather a busted front elect. motor mount.

Other shift issues were resolved by installing a Transgo GD2 kit and Amsoil synthetic fluid.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 AM

Chris, I am having similar symptoms to the OP as I have mentioned before. Often the suggestion is to install a shift kit. Is this just masking the problem, fixing the symptoms or does it actually correct the problem?

This is an honest question, I have been wondering about this for a bit.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by samtr87
What method was used to change the fluid? You didn't powerflush it did you?
Just a fluid swap, I dont think the pan was dropped but I do know it wasnt power flushed.

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I learned that a great deal of my shift issues (specifically any jerkyness and such) the the issue was not the tranny, but rather a busted front elect. motor mount.
Yeah front motor mount was broken, and replaced about a year ago. Definitely reduced the clunk but it still doesnt shift properly.

Originally Posted by 240sxguy
Chris, I am having similar symptoms to the OP as I have mentioned before. Often the suggestion is to install a shift kit. Is this just masking the problem, fixing the symptoms or does it actually correct the problem?
I have the same question as well. Ive heard good things about the transgo kit, but id hate to install it on trans that has something else wrong. Waist of money on a well worn tranny imo.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:23 AM

Well, I think I just scored a transgo off of ebay for a very good price. Right place right time apparently. I don't know when I will get it installed (couple weeks realistically) but I will gladly report back on the results.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Get Off My Lawn

There are some experienced guys who will hopefully chime in.
My experience was a significant 1-2-3 shifts. I found the best thing for me was to get the Transgo and have a knowledgeable tranny shop drop the pan and do a thorough inspection to determine (as best as possible) the condition of the bands/clutches and solenoids.
My tranny guy indicated minimal debri in the pan and the oil coming out looked good. Indication the bands are most likely in pretty good shape. He said everything else looked good to; therefore, the transmission was a good candidate for for kit. Faster changes result in less slipping of the clutches, reducing wear.
Had the tranny shown problems and a lot of debri in the pan, etc....I would have then had to consider replacement or repair of the issue first.
So I don't think there is definitive answer for you. I think your tranny needs to be looked at to ensure it is mechanically sound, worse case, if it's not, the shop can put the pan back on and refill the fluid till you can address the issue.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Very unfortunate you didn't have the shop drop the pan at least. An ATF flush should have been done as well.

At this point it is hard to tell exactly what is going on, but I would suspect it is VB more than the clutch bands. It may just be some solenoids which are going out. If it really bothers you and you want to keep the tranny working longer then I suggest you go with the transgo kit, replace the solenoids (if that doesn't come with the kit), be sure you get an additional tranny cooler. When you drop the pan inspect the magnets and the pan for metal residue. You should see some, but a lot will indicate you have extreme wear.

At least with a transgo kit you can swap it into another tranny if your tranny does ultimately fail.

BTW...if it is any help I have had a VB mod on my 2k AT for more than 200,000 miles and the transmission runs like the day I installed the VB mod with crisper shifts. It probably caused some premature wear on the motor/tranny mounts, but I'll take that versus replacing the transmission.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:11 PM

I will gladly report back on the results.
I look forward to it.

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
So I don't think there is definitive answer for you. I think your tranny needs to be looked at to ensure it is mechanically sound, worse case, if it's not, the shop can put the pan back on and refill the fluid till you can address the issue.
Where would you recomend doing this? The shop that usually works on my car doesn't specialize in transmissions,I think they contract out to someone else. I know AAMCO is a no go. Dealer?

Originally Posted by foodmanry
BTW...if it is any help I have had a VB mod on my 2k AT for more than 200,000 miles and the transmission runs like the day I installed the VB mod with crisper shifts
Hmm, I guess my trans should last a while then since the 2k trans isnt much different from the 2k2. And I will definitely be installing a trans cooler when it gets warmer, though Im skeptical about running one in the winter. A typical Colorado morning (during winter) has me start my car in ~20 F, so getting the transmission fluid up to temp is kind of important to me.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:20 PM

Damn good luck man, my 03 Max went out at about a 146k lost reverse completely and would barely move in drive, car totaled and gone got a 02 now with a 153k all is good on that one just had to do motor mounts and now it just keeps on pulling love those ES inserts....
Old 03-16-2012, 02:53 PM

I am going to throw caution to the wind and just install this kit. I got it ridiculously cheap on ebay, so cheap that I wonder if the seller screwed up and will attempt to back out of the sale. I know that I should do solenoids at the same time, but I am not going to. I want to change one variable at a time so I know what actually cured the problem and can pass along the information.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Blue Mesa
Hmm, I guess my trans should last a while then since the 2k trans isnt much different from the 2k2. And I will definitely be installing a trans cooler when it gets warmer, though Im skeptical about running one in the winter. A typical Colorado morning (during winter) has me start my car in ~20 F, so getting the transmission fluid up to temp is kind of important to me.
Most coolers will have a bypass for when the temperature is too cold.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Mesa
Waist of money on a well worn tranny imo.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:03 PM

try Lubegard Red additive. I'm going to use it when I do another drain and fill this weekend. I've heard soo many good things about it.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Blue: I found this tranny shop 15 years ago by calling and checking their knowledge about the maxima. This was the ONLY shop that could quote me numbers and year models and able to communicate what the problems felt like driving and why. I knew I had the right place. Ended up the owners build their own race cars and raced them too. Yeah, found a diamond in the rough.

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Most coolers will have a bypass for when the temperature is too cold.
That's a new one on me. Guess I would recommend you confirm the cooler has a bypass (thermostats). My experience is you have to buy those seperate. Not costly though, about $14.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
Hey now, Im open minded... If its worthwhile Ill do it, but what good will a shift kit do if the clutches and/or VB solenoids are worn out?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:35 PM

Car is having a new valve body installed by the dealer. Will report back on Monday with results.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:35 PM

It's past Monday.

I did the shiftkit. The HD is pretty darn harsh for street driving, especially on a stock car. It's okay though, I tolerate it just fine. I suspect I will need to put an OEM VB back in when I sell this thing though. Most people would suspect something was wrong.

It pretty much fixed most of my areas of complaint. Fast shifting, hard shifting no goofy shifting into 2nd when going slow then downshifting to 1st when accelerating.

What's the verdict with your car?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had my clutches replaced, and by the look at a few of them, they were worn. Doing the transgo will "mask" it. The car shifts like a brand new transmission, not banging at all. Might get the transgo kit to compliment this rebuild.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by nishfish871
I had my clutches replaced, and by the look at a few of them, they were worn. Doing the transgo will "mask" it. The car shifts like a brand new transmission, not banging at all. Might get the transgo kit to compliment this rebuild.
How many miles did your car have on it?
Old 03-30-2012, 02:33 PM

I have a vb with the Transgo HD2 kit already installed ready to go if anyone is interested! It was the best mod I ever did on my max being a 4AT.

I sold my maxima with a stock vb so hence I have this one.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
I have a vb with the Transgo HD2 kit already installed ready to go if anyone is interested! It was the best mod I ever did on my max being a 4AT.

I sold my maxima with a stock vb so hence I have this one.
Did you keep the springs and crap out of the servo that were also to be installed with the HD kit? Just curious.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:28 PM

What's the verdict with your car?
After having a new valve body put in, the car shifts alot smoother at part throttle and feels better overall but:

1-2 shift at wot or near wot is still kind of long, I will probably need the transgo kit to remedy this.

2-3 flare is still there, but not as pronounced.

Worth the $1500? Maybe not considering I could have had a nice set of illuminas/new control arms installed for the same price.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 PM

How many miles did your car have on it?
140k, rockauto.com has a rebuild kit. I'm not too sure which one the mechanic used though.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by nishfish871
140k, rockauto.com has a rebuild kit. I'm not too sure which one the mechanic used though.
Interesting. I think I am just going to run this setup as is until it totally blows up.

OP, sounds like something else is wrong if you have flaring. I guess I should have mentioned flaring was not something I was having trouble with. Sounds like you will or do need a band adjustment too. Its a bit of a pain in the *** but may help. I am not sure the transgo kit is going to fix that flare, if you have a perfectly operating oem VB that should not be flaring.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:38 AM

Interesting. I think I am just going to run this setup as is until it totally blows up.

OP, sounds like something else is wrong if you have flaring. I guess I should have mentioned flaring was not something I was having trouble with. Sounds like you will or do need a band adjustment too. Its a bit of a pain in the *** but may help. I am not sure the transgo kit is going to fix that flare, if you have a perfectly operating oem VB that should not be flaring.
The parts form shows Brake Band, High Clutch Driven Plates (x7), and overhaul kit.