5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Does it hurt my shocks/struts if i install aftermarket springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 01:32 PM
Very sound, Mike

Does it hurt my shocks/struts if i install aftermarket springs?

There's a good deal on the Group buy thread on Maxspeed springs ($95 for a set of four) and was wondering if my stock shock/strut will prematurely die when in change the springs? I have around 4500 miles on these.

How long do you think the stock shock/struts last w/ the stock springs and/or the Maxspeed springs?

Thanks

- Mike
Old 01-03-2002, 01:48 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Re: Does it hurt my shocks/struts if i install aftermarket springs?

Originally posted by soundmike
There's a good deal on the Group buy thread on Maxspeed springs ($95 for a set of four) and was wondering if my stock shock/strut will prematurely die when in change the springs? I have around 4500 miles on these.

How long do you think the stock shock/struts last w/ the stock springs and/or the Maxspeed springs?

Thanks

- Mike
Depending on there condition a couple of months or longer, its a gradual thing and it saves you money in the long run doing springs and struts at the same time.......
Old 01-03-2002, 04:39 PM

so aftermarket springs cause OEM shocks to wear more quickly than OEM springs? learn new **** everyday
Old 01-03-2002, 04:40 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by nardo'89SE
so aftermarket springs cause OEM shocks to wear more quickly than OEM springs? learn new **** everyday
Yes aftermarket springs are stiffer and cause more stress on the struts causing them to fail prematurly.........
Old 01-03-2002, 04:44 PM

so would aftermarket stocks last an abnormally long time with stock springs
Old 01-03-2002, 04:54 PM
Telus.net

Wear out the stock struts with aftermarket springs, then get aftermarket struts.

THis way, you can throw away the bad stock struts. It makes me feel bad to throw away a brand new strut.

Old 01-03-2002, 05:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks

- Mike

Now my opinion in this should be great appreciated since I have MaxSpeed springs.

They dont seem to be messing with my stock struts. I mean I know they a little bit softer than the Eibachs, and I heard of plenty of people on the board that are running Eibachs with their stock struts for over 30k miles and still no sign of problems.

I say you will be fine.

Dixit
Old 01-03-2002, 06:07 PM
Telus.net

Check the make of your struts.

It will either be Tokico, KYB, or Nissan made.

Most Maxima SE have Tokicos, while many Altima owners found they have both Tokico or KYB.

If the stock struts are Tokico or KYB, then you should go ahead and install the MaxSpeed springs.

Old 01-04-2002, 07:05 AM
Very sound, Mike

Bigdogjonx, are those pics on your site with the springs installed? Is it me or does it just not look lowered enough? How long have you had those springs on your stock struts?

Telus.net, forgive the ignorance. But how do i check the make of the strut? All i see is my springs when i bend over to check those things out.

Hmm, come to think of it. I also saw this piece of rubber on the top portion of the spring that's dangling. Is that normal?

Thanks everyone for your comments!

.... i'm still confused who to believe though hehehehe
Old 01-04-2002, 08:44 AM

Bigdogjonx, are those pics on your site with the springs installed? Is it me or does it just not look lowered enough? How long have you had those springs on your stock struts?

Hmm, come to think of it. I also saw this piece of rubber on the top portion of the spring that's dangling. Is that normal?

Thanks everyone for your comments!
Yes those are the pic of the springs on my site. Them pics were only taken about 1 day after the springs were installed, They look nice and settled now.

I would have to say for sure now the front and back wheels match evenly. If I get a chance I will post some pics, but I know Jambo took off the Attachment feature. Put your email down and I will try to email them then

That piece of rubber that is on the top of the spring SHOULD not be dangling. That is a big piece of rubber and very thick. Now the bottom one where the spring sits on the strut is understandable. But for sure not the top one.

Dixit
Old 01-04-2002, 08:51 AM

I run H&R on my stock struts/shocks.. Had this combo for about 3K miles.. Depending on how you drive, if your like me I drive really hard.. I'm noticing that it's starting to get a lil bouncy.. So I've decided to order the KYB AGX's... Can't wait.. I would recommend if you wanna save money do both of them now.. That way you don't have to pay for the same labor twice..
Old 01-04-2002, 09:44 AM
Very sound, Mike

I should bring the car to the dealer then, i around 6" of rubber dangling on both front wheels (topside of the spring)

PCGuru2k, 3k miles only huh? That's not good. The reason i'm not getting the struts yet is because they cost too much so though it's cheaper to have both strut and shock installed at the same time i just don't ahve that much cash to throw around right now.

And the maxspeed springs on groupbuy is a really good deal.

Btw, BigDogJonx, YGPM!

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

That piece of rubber that is on the top of the spring SHOULD not be dangling. That is a big piece of rubber and very thick. Now the bottom one where the spring sits on the strut is understandable. But for sure not the top one.

Dixit
Old 01-04-2002, 09:46 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Thanks

- Mike
I had Eibach Pro kit spring installed with my stock struts at about 10K miles and replaced the stock struts at 40K miles with Tokico Blues. No abnormal tire wear at all, and the ride was fine.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:47 AM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Does it hurt my shocks/struts if i install aftermarket springs?

Sounds like a good enough length of time. Thanks for the input!

Originally posted by maximadave

I had Eibach Pro kit spring installed with my stock struts at about 10K miles and replaced the stock struts at 40K miles with Tokico Blues. No abnormal tire wear at all, and the ride was fine.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:55 AM

My friend who owns a performance shop told me that I do not have to change my shocks because my drop at least with Eibach Springs do not drop low enough to to cause considerable wear and tear on your shocks
Old 01-04-2002, 10:23 AM
Very sound, Mike

How low exactly does the Eibach's go? I think the maxspeed is less than 2"... around 1.7" if i remember correctly.

Originally posted by MaXiMuS AE
My friend who owns a performance shop told me that I do not have to change my shocks because my drop at least with Eibach Springs do not drop low enough to to cause considerable wear and tear on your shocks
Old 01-04-2002, 10:29 AM

Eibach's surprisingly gave me a substantial drop... about 1.7 inches...I'm very happy with it
Old 01-04-2002, 10:32 AM

Eibach's drop around 1.1 inches in front and 1 inch in back

HR's (i just bought a set) drop 1.4 front and 1.3 in back (i think)

Now regarding Maxspeed springs......a performance shop in NJ (Tuner M)
told me not to get maxspeed because they've seen a few cars with'em and the springs just continue to settle making your car drop a lot lower than advertised. If you don't have a body kit....hakuna matata.
But If you plan on getting a body kit and ya live on the eastcoast(like myself) "DON'T GET THE MAXSPEED SPRINGS!!!" this is what I was told. Not sure of the validity of the statement but maybe you maxspeed spring owners will be able confirm or refute this statement.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:36 AM

Eibach's do not just give a 1.1 inch drop trust me... they at least give a 1.5 inch drop.

Originally posted by acMAX
Eibach's drop around 1.1 inches in front and 1 inch in back

HR's (i just bought a set) drop 1.4 front and 1.3 in back (i think)

Now regarding Maxspeed springs......a performance shop in NJ (Tuner M)
told me not to get maxspeed because they've seen a few cars with'em and the springs just continue to settle making your car drop a lot lower than advertised. If you don't have a body kit....hakuna matata.
But If you plan on getting a body kit and ya live on the eastcoast(like myself) "DON'T GET THE MAXSPEED SPRINGS!!!" this is what I was told. Not sure of the validity of the statement but maybe you maxspeed spring owners will be able confirm or refute this statement.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:37 AM

27k on my 2k1 max

i've got 27k on my 2001 max and I'll be putting in my HR springs by next weekend.

Is it stupid for me to be doing this? Most of the people on this forum who have stock struts and have installed aftermarket springs
have a lot less miles on their cars.

Is it likely that I'll have to change my struts within the year?
Old 01-04-2002, 10:42 AM

I should bring the car to the dealer then, i around 6" of rubber dangling on both front wheels (topside of the spring)

PCGuru2k, 3k miles only huh? That's not good. The reason i'm not getting the struts yet is because they cost too much so though it's cheaper to have both strut and shock installed at the same time i just don't ahve that much cash to throw around right now.

And the maxspeed springs on groupbuy is a really good deal.

Btw, BigDogJonx, YGPM!

I have a GLE so by default the shocks/struts are bouncy. Maybe thats why. People with GXE or SE's have no probs...