5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What is a direct bolt on replacement for a 2002 6MT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:39 AM

What is a direct bolt on replacement tranny for a 2002 6MT?

Hey all,

Looks like I have an input shaft bearing going on my 2002 6MT. Not sure I will have the time to pull the tranny myself. Work is slamming me with a proposal so I will be time limited for the next 2 months and not sure it will last that long.

So I am looking to find a local tranny shop (South Jersey) to do the replacement. Will probably want to try and have them find me a rebuilt and I want to get one that doesn't have the same problems that all the 02 trannys seem to haver (ie 3rd gear crunch, input shaft bearing, etc)

So I am looking for suggestions on what is a perfect (no screwing with) bolt on. Including reusing the existing half shafts.

After searching I seem to think that an 04 Altima tranny may be a direct bolt on (slightly different rations) and I saw a post about a 2005 Max tranny, but reading that one it appears that while it worked something wasn't attached right or used.

Since I want a tranny shop to do it I think I need to have something that's a perfect match.

Any help would be appreciated including any knowledge of a tranny place around me that work Nissan manuals.

Thanks.

Last edited by fflint_18; 04-02-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 AM

get a trans from the 6th gen maxima
Old 04-02-2012, 07:58 AM

The 6MT does not have ISB problems like the 5MT.

Your cheapest, safest, smartest bet is to get a bellhousing swap on a Sentra Spec-V transmission.

Your easiest bet is to get a 02-06 6MT Maxima tranmission, they all bolt up, but the gearing changes in 04.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun

Your cheapest, safest, smartest bet is to get a bellhousing swap on a Sentra Spec-V transmission.

Your easiest bet is to get a 02-06 6MT Maxima tranmission, they all bolt up, but the gearing changes in 04.

Am I reading wrong? Isn't he wanting to replace his SixMT with another SixMT because the ISB is going out on it? He wasn't saying anything about a 5MT. At least the bellhousings swap on these trannies... The ZF trans on Ford trucks are a single case for either a small block, blig block, or diesel. bellhousings do not swap on those.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:42 AM

Since I want a tranny place to do it I don't think they will play any type of funky swap.

If a 04/05 6MT is a direct fit and it doesn't have the issues the 02/03 do then that's what I'll tell the tranny shop to get.

I assume that he should be able to find a rebuilt one for me.

I am leary of spending the money on a junkyard one from cart parts.com only to have it fail down the road.

I appreciate any thoughts you guys have.

Thanks Again

Last edited by fflint_18; 04-02-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:25 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Galactica
Am I reading wrong? Isn't he wanting to replace his SixMT with another SixMT because the ISB is going out on it? He wasn't saying anything about a 5MT...
I think the point Aackshun was making was that an ISB failure is not common on the 6spds. In other words, why did the OP come to the conclusion that he/she has an ISB failure?

BTW Aackshun is one of the members that swapped a 6spd into his 4th gen. You can probably count on him for application knowledge when it comes to our trannies. Oh, that and he works at a Nissan yard although he lets that go to his head a little too much.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
I think the point Aackshun was making was that an ISB failure is not common on the 6spds. In other words, why did the OP come to the conclusion that he/she has an ISB failure?

BTW Aackshun is one of the members that swapped a 6spd into his 4th gen. You can probably count on him for application knowledge when it comes to our trannies. Oh, that and he works at a Nissan yard although he lets that go to his head a little too much.
I'll take any advice I can. Taranny is silent with teh clutch in. Sitting still in Neutral if you let the clutch out it starts growling pretty loud. Driving through first and second the whine is loud and noticable. Stops as soon as you pull it out of gear and put the clutch in.

If you are coasting and oull it into a lower gear to downshift it goes from silent to pretty load as soon as that shaft begins to turn.

I'm oretty sure it's the input shaft. The questions now is what to do??

I'm worried about buying a 02 tranny from a junkyard and having teh same problem plus a 3rd gear crunch.

It's the reason I'm asking about any direct swap.

And does anyone know where I can get one?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:12 PM

There is another possibility. Your ISB could be fine and your throwout bearing could be failing.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by fflint_18
I'll take any advice I can. Taranny is silent with teh clutch in. Sitting still in Neutral if you let the clutch out it starts growling pretty loud. Driving through first and second the whine is loud and noticable. Stops as soon as you pull it out of gear and put the clutch in.

If you are coasting and oull it into a lower gear to downshift it goes from silent to pretty load as soon as that shaft begins to turn.

I'm oretty sure it's the input shaft. The questions now is what to do??

I'm worried about buying a 02 tranny from a junkyard and having teh same problem plus a 3rd gear crunch.

It's the reason I'm asking about any direct swap.

And does anyone know where I can get one?
Throw out bearing. Get ready for a new clutch, just change it while the trans is out.

That 3rd gear problems seems to be reoccuring although, i think its the fluid that is being used. I have never had that problem(im a 5spd thou) but people that i know that run redline in Nissan trans always talk about 3rd gear grinds. I use Motul and Amsoil, no grind. Try mixing a quart of heavier 80W 90 with the regular 75W 90 to see if that helps. Make sure to run GL-4 fluid, NOT GL-5.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Bad *** Newb

If you swap...HLSD time

Old 04-03-2012, 04:40 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Crusher103
...That 3rd gear problems seems to be reoccuring although, i think its the fluid that is being used. I have never had that problem(im a 5spd thou) but people that i know that run redline in Nissan trans always talk about 3rd gear grinds. I use Motul and Amsoil, no grind. Try mixing a quart of heavier 80W 90 with the regular 75W 90 to see if that helps. Make sure to run GL-4 fluid, NOT GL-5.
It's not the fluid. I use Amsoil and I still have the crunch. I've had it for about 20k miles. It's not really a big deal, but it does get a bit embarrassing sometimes. It almost sounds like you didn't fully depress the clutch. Precise rev-matching and slow, procedural shifting to 3rd gear helps to alleviate it, but it still shows up periodically. 5spds don't have the third-gear-crunch problem(they have other problems, namely bearings ). 02-03 6spds do. Nissan changed the syncs in 04.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:41 AM

I really don't think it's a throw out bearing. If it was it would make more noise when you step on the pedal. That's when all of the prssure is on the bearing.

This whines as you go through the gears and it perfectly quiet when you are standing still with your foot on the clutch.

As soon as you let your foot off so the tranny input shaft begins to move it starts making noise.

I still didn;t get a straight answer. What tranny is a perfect without mod bolt on that I should be looking for?

I don't understand the bellhousing Spec V comment. Bell housing on a manual tranny??

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:50 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

I really don't think it's a throw out bearing. If it was it would make more noise when you step on the pedal. That's when all of the prssure is on the bearing...
This is precisely why it stops making noise. Often when the TO bearing fails, it separates from itself. When it is freewheeling on the ISB is makes a circular clattering noise. Once the clutch is engaged, the compressive forces push the bearing back together eliminating the out-of-tolerance-clearance noise.

...I still didn;t get a straight answer. What tranny is a perfect without mod bolt on that I should be looking for?

I don't understand the bellhousing Spec V comment. Bell housing on a manual tranny??
PM Aackshun. He'll get you fixed up.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
It's not the fluid. I use Amsoil and I still have the crunch. I've had it for about 20k miles. It's not really a big deal, but it does get a bit embarrassing sometimes. It almost sounds like you didn't fully depress the clutch. Precise rev-matching and slow, procedural shifting to 3rd gear helps to alleviate it, but it still shows up periodically. 5spds don't have the third-gear-crunch problem(they have other problems, namely bearings ). 02-03 6spds do. Nissan changed the syncs in 04.
You sure about that? I know a few people with 5spds that have the grind. Interestingly enough Z/Gs have the same problem with 3rd gear.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:55 AM

I really don't think it's a throw out bearing. If it was it would make more noise when you step on the pedal. That's when all of the prssure is on the bearing.

This whines as you go through the gears and it perfectly quiet when you are standing still with your foot on the clutch.

As soon as you let your foot off so the tranny input shaft begins to move it starts making noise.

I still didn;t get a straight answer. What tranny is a perfect without mod bolt on that I should be looking for?

Its most likely your TOB. which is a good thing.

If you didnt know, the 04-06 specVs and the 6th gens use the exact same 6spd(the 02-03s just have shorter gears but the same theory is going to apply). The only difference is the bolt pattern on the engine block, so if you swap from the sentra bellhousing to the maxima bellhousing that will make it possible for the sentra's trans to bolt up to the VQs. This is done a lot because you can find the sentra trans for less than most 5spds. i have seen low mileage ones floating around for $250-300

Also ALL specVs have LSD. All of them.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
You sure about that? I know a few people with 5spds that have the grind. Interestingly enough Z/Gs have the same problem with 3rd gear.
We're off topic but lets talk nissan transmissions

The FWD 5MT has decent synchros, not known for the 3rd gear crunch, the crunch is there because of user-error and not factory fault (unlike SOME 6MT transmissions, which I still think is user fault, I've never driven a Nissan 6MT w/ a 3rd gear crunch).

The FWD 5mt is known to bearing failure which causes other things to fail very quickly EG. Synchros, because the shafts are wobbling around inside of your transmission, hell a gear crunch in a 5mt can easily be the gears actually crunching because they're missing a few teeth and mis-aligning... I still need to upload pics of my 5MT's carnage, it was brutally raped multiple times, talk about a complete transmission failure....

The Z32 5MT... synch's just suck, 4th gear synch is the most common failing one.

Z33/V35s are purely user-error for 3rd gear problems.

03-05 Z33 Transmissions have terrible 5/6th synchros so it's very common to crunch those gears because of the plastic synch's.

06+ has revised synch's and are less prone to synch's failing to match the speed of the gears (crunch).

Now back on topic.

The FWD 6MT (Sentra, Atlima, Maxima, Cube, Versa, etc.) is not known to have bearing problems, I've seen em (one 180k and one 230k) w/ 200k+ miles and still have a tight input shaft and bearings.

The ISB is the LAST thing I would worry about, but the only way to find out for 100% sure is to have the transmission dropped, most likely it will be a throw out bearing so be prepared for a simple run of the mill clutch job.

While you're at it you should replace the clutch lines w/ a full SS line, avoid future failures (distrib. block for eg).

Last edited by aackshun; 04-03-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

...unlike SOME 6MT transmissions, which I still think is user fault, I've never driven a Nissan 6MT w/ a 3rd gear crunch...
Hahaha!!! How many 5.5 6spds have you driven? Come up for NismoFiesta. If you can shift up into 3rd and down into 3rd in my max 10 successive times while driving without the crunch, I'll pay for your gas to get here and your autoX fees. However, if you can't, you pay for my autoX fees and gas to get to Maxus. Who knows? Maybe a round peg will fit in a square hole if you hold your tongue right. What do you say?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:35 AM

Thanks, all good info and I hope you're right. It sure doesn't seem like a throw out bearing, but would be great if it is.

Here's one of the reasons I feel that way.

Say I take it up to 60 and step on the clutch and throw it out of gear.

Noise completly goes away as long as I'm standing on the clutch.

If I let the clutch out in neutral noise is back.

Or if I pull it into a gear still with the clutch still in the tranny immediately starts whining. That's why I think input shaft.

But will I ever be happy if it's just a clutch job.

I am stuck working 7 day weeks for another month. Then I'd have a chance to do the job myself. I have probably done 50 clutches in my day.

I never love FWD ones, but they aren't the wporst thing I have ever done.

Apppreciate all the help.

I PMed Aachshun. Waiting to see if I can call and talk to him if he has some better info.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:34 AM

The noise going away when you stand on the clutch is always a tob. The noise when you put it in gear while on the clutch is normally synchros meshing but who knows. Maybe your isb is failing too...
Old 04-03-2012, 04:01 PM

I had the 100 percent same exact issue as you. I too thought it may have been the throwout bearing but it going away when clutching in didnt make sense. I had some metal shavings in my fluid so it rulled out the throwout bearing. I had the fear whine also.

I decided to buy a brand new 6th gen with hlsd tranny from the dealer. I think it may be my thread you were refering too. The only thing you need to use from your car is the linkage bracket. You should remove this to drop the tranny anyway. And a brand new tranny doesnt even come with this part so it need to be put on anyway. Its a part that needs to be removed during the tranny replacement anyway.

If you are anywhere near ct i could prob get u the same deal on a brand new tranny for 1750. I installed the new one already and after like a 100 mile break in period all is fine. I looked at my old throwout bearing and it looked fine.

I have noooo third gear crunch. The only potential downside to the 6th gen tranny is the lower gear ratios. Faster aceleration but more shifts to get to the same speed with a higher cruising rpm equating to slightly lower gas millage arguably. I deff enjoy the gear ratios by far and have not noticed a decrease in millage. I do have to shift more often then i did before.

I wish you much luck and feel free to pm me if you have any questions or if i can help.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:03 PM

Fwiw i do thin it was my input shaft bearing that went just didnt confirm. My old tranny is hlsd as well and i am debating selling as is or if i should get it rebuilt then sold. Problem is i dont know how much to sell as is for repair since it needs work but it is hlsd.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 AM

Sell it to me fo' cheap
Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 AM

Sell it to me fo' cheap
lol im accepting offers.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 PM

I have to resurrect this thread... sorry guys but I've been searching for hours and this is the newest/most on-topic thread I could find without wasting space on the org for my one question.

whats the difference between the stock 02-03 6mt and the spec-V 6mt as far as gear ratios and such? My ISB and synchros are blown so I either have to replace or rebuild.

Edit: I saw the comment above about the gears being shorter in the 02-03, but I also saw before someone said they swapped to a 6th gen and said THOSE gears were shorter, so just trying to clarify/get details.

Last edited by nycibbyryder; 01-07-2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: details...
Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by nycibbyryder
I have to resurrect this thread... sorry guys but I've been searching for hours and this is the newest/most on-topic thread I could find without wasting space on the org for my one question.

whats the difference between the stock 02-03 6mt and the spec-V 6mt as far as gear ratios and such? My ISB and synchros are blown so I either have to replace or rebuild.

Edit: I saw the comment above about the gears being shorter in the 02-03, but I also saw before someone said they swapped to a 6th gen and said THOSE gears were shorter, so just trying to clarify/get details.
04-06 have shorter gears, better synchros, and a greater chance of finding one with HLSD.

All spec-v's have the same internals of an HLSD 04-06 Max trans, but with a different housing. You can swap housings from the one you are pulling.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 PM

Awesome thank you! I'll definitely go with the spec-v then, especially since they're half the price.

Last edited by nycibbyryder; 01-07-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:24 PM

Update: found out the spec-v is a vlsd, better than open diff but I would've rather looked for an hlsd given the chance. Also, I like the acceleration with the shorter gears, though now I need wider tires lol because I just spin out through first and second when I get on it. One thing I'm noticing is even though I still shift around 2k rpms when I'm just cruising, I lost gas mileage. My avg before was around 16.5mpg (calculated by the tank, not the crappy dash estimate. I live on Long Island with traffic lights every 300ft, highway mileage is non-existent lol). Now my avg is about 15mpg, and that's after I did VC gaskets, plugs, and a pcv valve too. So I went from getting like 260 mpt to about 210 mpt. Not too bad but kind of annoying. Given the opportunity I would've searched for a used 02-03 max tranny w/hlsd if I could do it over again, but I'd say the spec-v tranny has its perks and drawbacks... When I drive to ocean city in a few months for vaca ill know the highway mileage. I got 27mpg with the old tranny when I drove to VA beach last year, well see this year. I'm just writing this as my experience for anyone else looking into trannys for our car.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 PM

No specV has a VLSD, they ALL have 6spd HLSD, ALL OF THEM no exceptions. Make sure its an ACTUAL SpecV not an 00-01 SE with the SR20s or the normal SE-R they still had 5spds not 6.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 PM

It is a 6 speed I have an 02. When I was in the snowstorm only one tire spun unless I revved the **** out of it or popped the clutch. How can I tell hlsd vs vlsd? Bc that sounds like vlsd to me. I mean I just learned about it like 2 weeks ago so I can only go off of what I've heard other people say, I tried searching google and it tells me about them but not the difference in feel.

Last edited by nycibbyryder; 02-22-2013 at 08:50 PM.