5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

thinking of selling my 01 se

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thinking of selling my 01 se

Im new to this forum, just wondering what the value of my car is...figure this is place to ask...i have a 2001 maxima se only 48,000 original miles, im the 2nd owner, never in an accident, clean carfax(obviously), no paint work nothing...its dark metalic gray with black leather gut..nothing done other then regular maintenance even the headlight bulbs are stock lol..has a few scratch like any car would but no dents..im actually looking to get a new model maxima is the only reason for selling.

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 04-02-2012, 10:50 AM

www.kbb.com will have your answer.

At 48,000 miles for a 11 year car expect some skepticism at the odometer reading.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:53 AM

depends on your area and what other 00-01 cars are selling for.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
www.kbb.com will have your answer.

Where are you located???
Old 04-02-2012, 11:16 AM

nada gives the more legitamate price that dealerships and banks/credit unions go off of for value
Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 PM

OK since no one will speculate. IF the miles are verifiable, I'd say you put your Maxima up at 8 grand and go down from there. Always Always start high if you have a gem. It weeds out all the low-ballers. Might take a while longer to sell, but you'll always get more money for it that way.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Galactica
OK since no one will speculate. IF the miles are verifiable, I'd say you put your Maxima up at 8 grand and go down from there. Always Always start high if you have a gem. It weeds out all the low-ballers. Might take a while longer to sell, but you'll always get more money for it that way.
not always...but i agree start on the high side
Old 04-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im in long island, ny...people can be skeptial its to be expected to some extent but all the car fax paper work shows when the inspections/milage was done etc..i see some my year with 100+K miles go for $5500+ and if its anything under 100k they want 7500+...i can look up kbb but the market really dictates the prices
Old 04-02-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by KillaCoupe
Im in long island, ny...people can be skeptial its to be expected to some extent but all the car fax paper work shows when the inspections/milage was done etc..i see some my year with 100+K miles go for $5500+ and if its anything under 100k they want 7500+...i can look up kbb but the market really dictates the prices

then why'd you ask? look up cars in your area and base it off that.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:39 PM

A/T or M/T?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:18 PM

If they're going for 7500+ there, then hell, put it up at 9 grand and go from there.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

its AT...reason i asked here is bc its a maxima forum...makes sense you guys would give me a good idea of the value instead of me guess off others prices
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by UGAd13

then why'd you ask? look up cars in your area and base it off that.
This...

its AT...reason i asked here is bc its a maxima forum...makes sense you guys would give me a good idea of the value instead of me guess off others prices
This is a North American site. The prices vary depending on area, condition, market, etc, etc.

Can we give you a guess? Yes, we can. Considering you didn't post any pictures of your car, any imperfections, any issues, whether you're selling certified and etested, or any other number of things that MAKE a car's price, what are you really expecting?
Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 PM

You can also post it for sale on this forum, you're likely to find somebody who will appreciate the rarity of your low mileage vehicle and offer you good money for it.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:33 PM

Pics would be nice.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:37 AM

I just settled on a 2000 SE; but I did find a 01' SE in (seemingly) much worse condition that I entertained for $7500.

Many, including myself, fancy that as one of the best max's to own. I'd love to have the options and low mileage of that 01' AE.

If you're not in a rush to sell then start where you want it to be sold; the higher the price the more initial weeding of ********, lowballers, young buyers...etc that make buying/selling a bit of a turn of at times.

As time goes on you will wear down and sell for what someone is willing to pay for it at that time. That is what it'll come down to, regardless of KBB. Anyone who values the 5th gen 5speed, values the AE for what it had (VLSD...etc) - it will be valuable to someone - get it out there advertised.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 AM

I really don't think the car is worth that much.

Coming to a Maxima forum is good in theory but in general people on car
specific forums tend to value their car higher than the average (majority) of people would. It makes sense, they all have the same interest.

Put it up and see if you get any offers starting high. There is a chance, but its old and people like new.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:50 PM

I am someone who has been looking for a 5.5 gen 6spd, loaded up SE, and low mileage around 55,000 miles, and lower if possible. Here is what I have found, through nearly 2 months of intense searching (hard to find low miles AND 6spd AND a loaded SE).

I have run across several GLE's, or SE's loaded with auto. There is a gorgeous one in WI right now, silver SE loaded with 48k miles, and they are asking $9700. The major dealerships like your Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Audi, etc... tend to ask roughly 9500-10,999. Then you have your mom and pop dealerships asking those prices of 9500-10,999+ for 80k or 90k mile cars which is ridiculous. Also, the major dealerships are selling those cars within 2-3 weeks, I am actually quite amazed at how fast they turn them, while the mom and pop dealers are not and most (if not all) of those with the higher miles are still for sale. So 2 things. The cars are definitely in demand, and you will easily sell it, but you have to price it right.

For your car, in a private sale, I would list at $8900 and go from there. If you are asked if you're negotiable, say yes. If they ask by how much, DO NOT give discounted numbers over the phone, just tell them I'm willing to do what it takes to sell the car. Have them look at the car, see how clean it is, and trust me, they will not low ball as much and you'll get more money for it. Just make sure it's washed, vacuumed, and cleaned. Sounds simple, but most people show off dirty cars, and most cars out there are not in good shape. They can buy your low mileage CLEAN car, or try and save a thousand or even 2 thousand for a car with 110,000 miles that has issues. Really, once people see that it's a well cared for, clean, good car, they'll be open to paying a bit more as long as you work with them on price a bit.

I also was in the camp that paying $10,000 for any 10 year old car is ridiculous, but the market is saying otherwise. There was a 2003 6spd, merlot pearl that even had navi with 56k miles for $9999 about 5-6 weeks ago that I called on in Maryland. I thought that was too much, and wanted to buy for $8200-$8500. They didn't budge $1 off the price, so I figured I'll let them sit on it for a few days and call back. It sold almost immediately, and I honestly regret not swallowing the pill and getting it. A low mileage, clean reliable car, with all sorts of luxury options and power, for $10k or less...EVERYONE is looking for that. That's the easiest car in the world to sell, and there is always a buyer for it. Since then I have not run across anything similar with a manual outside of 1 vehicle which is the wrong color. So now I have come to appreciate that when a car like that comes along with everything you want, fight to get the best deal possible, and don't let a reasonable offer go by...even if it's a bit more than what you think it should be. The market didn't care. You will find a buyer who is thinking the same way as I am. People looking for used cars that are low mileage, clean, like new examples will understand that it's a bit more than a 110k miles one with more wear and tear. Like I said, I have seen several more like that only in automatic sell very fast.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 AM

Nice response but I wouldn't disregard a "higher mileage." My loaded 02 six speed has 134,000 miles and still runs like new. I have replaced all suspension components, axles, valve covers, belts, spark plugs, coil, sensors (cam, knock, maf, o2), clutch, crank seal, fuel filter, radiator, spacers, berk w/ apexi filter, headers, megan catback, AE sills, new all weather mats, new OEM shift ****, chrome cluster rings, 350z dead pedal, complete blue led conversion, etc. I would sell my car for no more than $7,000. I believe you can be much better off if you find a car that has all of the maintenance done with more miles. You can find cars all day with 80-100,000 miles but I don't think you would like to know how much all of those parts are that I just listed, especially since most of them are OEM. Here is what my car looks like except now I have g35 rims.