5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k Max, 4 codes P0731 P0732 P1118 P0720,

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 AM

2k Max, 4 codes P0731 P0732 P1118 P0720,

Pls help. I just bought my maxima 2000 model from a friend. all seems to be working fine till 3 weeks ago when the car suddenly slip from gear and went into limp mode. The engine revs and wouldnt shift transmission till i off the engine for 60secs and start again before it shifts again.

I got it scanned and i have the following codes

P 0180 fuel temp sen/circ

P0135 pls refer to vehicle service manual

P0731
P0732
P1118
P0720.

Pls help on what to do

Thanks
Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 AM

You need to replace a lot of parts.

The limp mode is caused by the P07xx codes, your automatic transmission. These are serious (and expensive) problems. But it is possible that the TCM (Transmission Control Module) is bad or perhaps wire harness has been damaged or is coming unplugged. If the transmission is bad, a junk yard is the least expensive.

Depending on the exact parts needed, you are looking at $500 to $1000. If you are not a mechanic and have to pay some body to install the parts, the labor could cost $1000 to $2000 more. It might be less money to buy another car.

--------

P0135 - Bank 1 Front heated oxygen sensor heater. Malfunction is detected when the current amperage in the front heated oxygen sensor heater circuit is out of the normal range. (An improper voltage drop signal is sent to ECM through the front heated oxygen sensor heater.)

P0180 - Fuel tank temperature sensor. This is part of the Fuel gauge Sending Unit locatend in the gas tank.

P0720 - VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR (REVOLUTION SENSOR). P0720 is detected when the TCM (Transmission Control Module) does not receive the proper voltage signal from the sensor.

P0731 - Automatic Transmission 1st Gear Function. This malfunction is detected when the A/T does not shift into first gear position as instructed by the TCM. This is not caused by electrical malfunction (circuits open or shorted) but by mechanical malfunction such as control valve sticking, improper solenoid valve operation, etc.

P0732 - Automatic Transmission 2nd Gear Function. This malfunction is detected when the A/T does not shift into second gear position as instructed by the TCM. This is not caused by electrical malfunction (circuits open or shorted) but by mechanical malfunction such as control valve sticking, improper solenoid valve operation, etc.

P1118 - Manifold Absolute Temperature Circuit Low Input. This code is not in the codes for a Maxima. It may be what we call a "ghost code" - something that shows up but is not true. It could also be a mistake in reading the code scanner machine.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
You need to replace a lot of parts.

The limp mode is caused by the P07xx codes, your automatic transmission. These are serious (and expensive) problems. But it is possible that the TCM (Transmission Control Module) is bad or perhaps wire harness has been damaged or is coming unplugged. If the transmission is bad, a junk yard is the least expensive.

Depending on the exact parts needed, you are looking at $500 to $1000. If you are not a mechanic and have to pay some body to install the parts, the labor could cost $1000 to $2000 more. It might be less money to buy another car.

--------

P0135 - Bank 1 Front heated oxygen sensor heater. Malfunction is detected when the current amperage in the front heated oxygen sensor heater circuit is out of the normal range. (An improper voltage drop signal is sent to ECM through the front heated oxygen sensor heater.)

P0180 - Fuel tank temperature sensor. This is part of the Fuel gauge Sending Unit locatend in the gas tank.

P0720 - VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR (REVOLUTION SENSOR). P0720 is detected when the TCM (Transmission Control Module) does not receive the proper voltage signal from the sensor.

P0731 - Automatic Transmission 1st Gear Function. This malfunction is detected when the A/T does not shift into first gear position as instructed by the TCM. This is not caused by electrical malfunction (circuits open or shorted) but by mechanical malfunction such as control valve sticking, improper solenoid valve operation, etc.

P0732 - Automatic Transmission 2nd Gear Function. This malfunction is detected when the A/T does not shift into second gear position as instructed by the TCM. This is not caused by electrical malfunction (circuits open or shorted) but by mechanical malfunction such as control valve sticking, improper solenoid valve operation, etc.

P1118 - Manifold Absolute Temperature Circuit Low Input. This code is not in the codes for a Maxima. It may be what we call a "ghost code" - something that shows up but is not true. It could also be a mistake in reading the code scanner machine.
Thanks for the adequate response. have replaced the Bank 1 sensor 1 today and hoping to service the valve body and the solenoid tomorrow. will keep u guys posted
Old 04-11-2012, 04:39 PM

I discovered that the gear would not shift until i gat my foot off the gas pedal and the engine revs as high as 4000 RPM sometimes before the car shifts gear. what could be the cause?
Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Miroslav klose
I discovered that the gear would not shift until i gat my foot off the gas pedal and the engine revs as high as 4000 RPM sometimes before the car shifts gear. what could be the cause?
What could be the cause....how bout start with the codes you are getting for the transmission. Not trying to be a jerk but you gotta take care of the codes first then ask what else could be causing the problem if it continues after fixing the codes..

Last edited by 2brosgixxer; 04-11-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by 2brosgixxer
What could be the cause....how bout start with the codes you are getting for the transmission. Not trying to be a jerk but you gotta take care of the codes first then ask what else could be causing the problem if it continues after fixing the codes..
here are the codes

P0720 - VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR (REVOLUTION SENSOR).
P0731 - Automatic Transmission 1st Gear Function.

P0732 - Automatic Transmission 2nd Gear Function.
What i did was to remove the VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR and get it cleaned and then the valve body was removed and serviced. After doing this, the car would still rev so high and would change into gear 3 without lifting my foot off the pedal
Old 04-12-2012, 04:41 PM

You may have a problem with the shift solenoids that are in the automatic transmission. Nissan originally made bad ones that do not last a long time. Service bulletin NTB00-039d.

Here is a link to an earlier version, NTB00-093a. I have .pdf copy of the revision d. If you want it, PM your e-mail address to me and I will send it to you.

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB00-039a.pdf
Old 04-15-2012, 06:00 AM

thanks so much dennis. i have sent u my email t ur PM inbox.

Also today, as i was driving about 40kilometres, when i switched on my AC, all of a sudden, the car slipped out of gear and would just rev so high without the speed increasing.

I parked the car for 1 min and switched off the AC and then started the car again before it changed gear.

What could be the problem? Im getting tired of this car and im thinking of selling it off if problem persists
Old 04-15-2012, 12:13 PM

You are welcome. I have no idea why the transmission slipped out of gear when you turned on the a/c. I've never heard of that. I can only hope that you can find the problem.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:05 PM

what im thinking is that, its when the car gets hotter in temperature that the car slips out of gear.

I noticed that anytime i dont use the AC and the car's temperature runs normal, i may not experience the problem for days but when ever i use the car in hot weather with AC on, after 30mins, the engine would rev and ransmission slip
Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 AM

waiting for responses
Old 04-18-2012, 07:24 AM

help
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Miroslav klose
what im thinking is that, its when the car gets hotter in temperature that the car slips out of gear.

I noticed that anytime i dont use the AC and the car's temperature runs normal, i may not experience the problem for days but when ever i use the car in hot weather with AC on, after 30mins, the engine would rev and ransmission slip
I'm just wondering if you ever got this resolved with your Maxima? It appears I'm running into the same problem, but I'm only getting a P0720 code and I already replaced the revolution sensor. The light went out for a couple days and it is on again with the same code.

I'm just wondering if it could be the TCM or something else?
Old 10-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

any updates on this?
i also have the code p0720, replaced the transmission speed sensor with 2 different sensors thinking the 1st one may have been bad but still have the same code triggered after driving 30min.
when i replaced the sensor the 2nd time, i look at the connector and nothing looked abnormal.
anyone have suggestions on other things to check ?

this is for my 2003 infiniti i35, which should be the same as the maxima.
thanks
Old 10-27-2012, 12:00 PM

The VSS gets power from fuse # 11. This fuse is in the top row, last one on the right end. Either check it with a meter or swap it with a known good one.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks, i will try checking fuse 11. the problem is very intermittent. car was driven a variety of times this weekend for 10-20min each time and problem has not reoccurred.

question, if a TCM goes bad is there an associated trouble code ?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by venomous99
any updates on this?
i also have the code p0720, replaced the transmission speed sensor with 2 different sensors thinking the 1st one may have been bad but still have the same code triggered after driving 30min.
when i replaced the sensor the 2nd time, i look at the connector and nothing looked abnormal.
anyone have suggestions on other things to check ?

this is for my 2003 infiniti i35, which should be the same as the maxima.
thanks
I also replaced my sensor with a factory Nissan sensor purchased on Ebay. It worked for less than a day and then the code came back. Finally I dropped it off at the dealer on Thursday. They replaced the sensor and they also replaced a part of the wiring harness. It has been a couple days and everything seems to be fine so far. If I run into any problems within the next couple months I will post back. I'm just glad I now have a 12 month/12K mile warranty if the sensory fails. Sure it cost me $320, but hopefully I can say this problem has been fixed!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by venomous99
thanks, i will try checking fuse 11. the problem is very intermittent. car was driven a variety of times this weekend for 10-20min each time and problem has not reoccurred.

question, if a TCM goes bad is there an associated trouble code ?
Unfortunately no. There is no self diagnostic built into the TCM. A bad TCM could throw eroneous P07xx codes, but that's not a guaranteed thing either.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

update on my situation,
found out my radiator sprung a small leak near the top by the fuse box location and has gotten progressively worse to the point that when the car is shutdown there is a spray of coolant all over the fuse box area.

i am hoping that somehow the spray has gotten into the fuse box area/wiring and perhaps corrupted the ref signal that feeds the tranny speed sensor.
my gf who drives the car described the problem occuring after driving for about 30min, parking then resumed driving.

hopefully this is the issue as ive already bought two of these sensors thiking my 1st was bad.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 PM

I had this same issue after a TB cleaning. Turned out to be the TPS. Replace it, get it "relearned", and it's back to shifting properly 100% with no codes.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have had similar issues as well (P0720, P1574, with the engine going into "limp" mode, ie, revving but not going), and found the following thread helpful. I haven't tried changing the speed sensor yet, but that is going to be the first thing I will try.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...lp-please.html
Old 01-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Infiniti2000I30tUgh
I had this same issue after a TB cleaning. Turned out to be the TPS. Replace it, get it "relearned", and it's back to shifting properly 100% with no codes.
thats interesting.....im curious as to how the TPS, which is intake related could affect the transmission?

been driving my car for a few hundred miles thinking the issue was resolved but just yesterday the dreaded p1574, p0720 returned. dammit. back to the drawing board.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ive had mechanics and auto parts store I dealt with for the p0720 code to always point at the input sensor asking is your speedometer working. even dropped 320 for me to find out 6 months later, they put in the wrong part( the input sensor) Wanted me to pay for them to fix there mistake. anywho got the part for 130... yes( I haggled ) from nissan (the output sensor.... does NOT have the gear on the tip), took 10 minutes to do it myself not including gathering tools and jacking the car. took off drivers tire,removed the splash guard on the left of the rotor and boom there it was, 10 mm socket for the bolt and i pulled it like a cork. So far no more redlining and going nowhere ,feels like it slipped in first or neutral issue, shift point seem smoother and i got what seems to be my lost mpg and power when i first got the car 2000 maxima gle 3.0

Last edited by destro4444; 05-01-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by RyanInFlorida
I'm just wondering if you ever got this resolved with your Maxima? It appears I'm running into the same problem, but I'm only getting a P0720 code and I already replaced the revolution sensor. The light went out for a couple days and it is on again with the same code.

I'm just wondering if it could be the TCM or something else?
Same exact story here. 2000 Maxima, I changed the VSS, but every 3 weeks or so the code comes returns.

Also limp mode ever other week

I talked to a tran shop he told to change the Input Speed Sensor.?