5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mysterious popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 PM

Mysterious popping noise

Firstly I want to say thanks for all the great info here on the forums. Since changing the starter motor (My first every mechanic job) have changed the struts and mounts on my car and tonight dropped the oil pand and resealed it, stuff I wouldnt have dreamed of doing if it wasnt for the advice and posts on this forum.

Ive had a problem since I got it. When I go over a bump I get a popping noise. Since I change the struts its not as bad but still there.

Today when I had her up on jacks I got a pipe under the wheels and moved em as much and as hard as I could and didnt get a sound out of it. Everything seems solid and tight. Sway bars seem good too.

It kind of feels to be coming from around the front passenger side.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by originalhandy
Firstly I want to say thanks for all the great info here on the forums. Since changing the starter motor (My first every mechanic job) have changed the struts and mounts on my car and tonight dropped the oil pand and resealed it, stuff I wouldnt have dreamed of doing if it wasnt for the advice and posts on this forum.

Ive had a problem since I got it. When I go over a bump I get a popping noise. Since I change the struts its not as bad but still there.

Today when I had her up on jacks I got a pipe under the wheels and moved em as much and as hard as I could and didnt get a sound out of it. Everything seems solid and tight. Sway bars seem good too.

It kind of feels to be coming from around the front passenger side.
Try to be more specific about the sound, perhaps make a video with said sound? Also, could it be more of a squeak or squeal?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:53 PM

Ill make a video tomoro, it may be hard to hear on the camera.
Its definitely a popping sound to me, maybe a clank at best. I probably couldnt be more vague if I tried right now ...
Old 04-19-2012, 04:46 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

...When I go over a bump I get a popping noise. Since I change the struts its not as bad but still there.

...It kind of feels to be coming from around the front passenger side.
How old is your passenger side engine mount? Countless people, including me, have had the same issue which was resolved by the replacement of this mount.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 AM

I cant tell, could be original for all I know. The dude I bought it from didnt have it for long as he thought the car was a lemon. How can I check that ?

It feels to me like its coming from the floor area, would it feel like its coming from there if you are in the the drivers seat do you think ?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:33 AM

Sounds like what happened when I did my struts/springs the first time. I had to take off one strut and seat the spring properly at the base of the strut and I had the strut mount put together incorrectly....did this noise start after you did the suspension?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:11 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

I cant tell, could be original for all I know. The dude I bought it from didnt have it for long as he thought the car was a lemon. How can I check that ?

It feels to me like its coming from the floor area, would it feel like its coming from there if you are in the the drivers seat do you think ?
The interaction between engine movement and the mount will transmit through the vehicle (floor included) because it is bolted to a structural bracket. You can inspect it visually, but it will often be difficult to see a worn mount bushing. You don't know the mileage? Change it.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:59 AM

Mileage is 140k.

Is there a good brand or type to get or even a link to know what I am looking at ? Is it a big job to change it out ?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:55 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Mileage is 140k.

Is there a good brand or type to get or even a link to know what I am looking at ? Is it a big job to change it out ?
140k? Mine was popping like crazy at 120k and I live in the Sunbelt. Like I said previously, it is fairly easy to change. There are a couple write ups floating around, but it's common sense once you look at the mount. I installed the Knight_xyz Wrayth mounts (I believe there are some people in his prototype thread that have extras for sale). It's awesome! However, it is not for the faint of heart. You will introduce a lot of NVH, but some people enjoy that connect with their motor. If you want to keep it DD comfortable, buy the Nissan replacement. Rusty at Gunn Nissan in San Antonio or nissanpartszone.com will get you good prices.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:44 PM

Cool thanks I will look into that.

Heres a vid, not great quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxIcnxALnDA
Old 04-19-2012, 07:52 PM

And another https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1fsw7pRE5Q