5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car has been running crappy, intake breather issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:23 PM

Car has been running crappy, intake breather issue?

Hey guys, I have an issue. My car has been doing the annoying hesitation when stepping on the gas, but only randomly. Usually is a MAF issue but I don't believe it to be since it's a fairly new MAF (01 with the thermistor on it). If I'm driving along and it's hesitating, I can shut the car off quickly and restart it and it usually runs fine.

I also have a WB that seems to read all over the place, it didn't use to. It will swing from 13.3 to 16.1 and back and forth and in between, even when the RPM stays pretty constant and not much throttle change.

I think I remember reading that when you do a SRI (I have a BBMAF, BTW), that you have to disconnect a line from the rear valve cover and put a breather on it? I can't find where that is if it's true. I have a breather on the front valve cover from the line that use to go to the intake.

I'm just grasping at straws here, but I think that's the problem. Any other incite would be great, thanks!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:08 AM

Forgot to add that idle is all over the place as far as AFR. It will be normal and then just go lean for no reason. Most of the part throttle tuning is like -17 to -22 for fuel, but I have to put idle at like -5 and it still idles lean sometimes.

And also, the car will periodically hesitate under acceleration, feels like a slight pulsing. There seems to be a chain reaction of the car suddenly idling lean, giving it some gas and it feels like it hits a wall, then it accelerates while slightly pulsing. Can't take it any longer!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:16 AM
dot dot dot ...

For the idling thing, best thing to do would be to drill out the PCV and add a breather on that side too and plug the IM hose.

Or, you can just go back to the way it was and connect the VC breather to the in between MAF/TB area.

As far as the other performance issues, that's not related to the PCV deal. One way to verify is to connect the front VC the stock way.

But I'm pretty sure that's not it, in fact I'm 99.98% sure.

I will say that it is exactly how mine was running when my MAF died (hitting wall/restarting scenario).

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-07-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Best thing to do would be to drill out the PCV and add a breather on that side too and plug the IM hose.

Or, you can just go back to the way it was and connect the VC breather to the in between MAF/TB area.
Do you have a picture of where that would be? Also, do you think that this could be causing the car to run randomly crappy?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:36 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by viperboy
Do you have a picture of where that would be? Also, do you think that this could be causing the car to run randomly crappy?
It's on the back VC, near the primary O2 sensor harness, near the VIAS region.

Screw it out, drill the PCV valve out, pop a breather and plug the IM port.

I've had my set-up like yours for years and it has yet to run crappy the way you describe. Despite the normal heat soak syndrome these cars are prone too, it's been fine, dynos to prove.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
It's on the back VC, near the primary O2 sensor harness, near the VIAS region.

Screw it out, drill the PCV valve out, pop a breather and plug the IM port.

I've had my set-up like yours for years and it has yet to run crappy the way you describe. Despite the normal heat soak syndrome these cars are prone too, it's been fine, dynos to prove.
I've looked for it before and I never know which one is which lol if you find a picture, that would be great but I will check again. Thanks for all the info, I really hope the MAF isn't dying again. What is the reason that restarting it works fine? I just don't understand that.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by viperboy
I've looked for it before and I never know which one is which lol if you find a picture, that would be great but I will check again. Thanks for all the info, I really hope the MAF isn't dying again. What is the reason that restarting it works fine? I just don't understand that.
Never understood that either and never really thought of it but that's a good question.

Let's see, there are a series of these PCV hoses.

The first and most obvious is in front, from VC to intake.

The second is from VC to VC near the VIAS stuff, it's a small hose (lengthwise) that connects both VC's. Under the IM, near the VIAS.

And then there's the PCV valve that connects from the VC to the IM. Another short hose.

Some people add dual filters on each VC but that doesn't do much since the PCV is a 1 way valve and needs to be completely open to actually have it function as a true breather.

My IM is lacking the rear port, so I'm planning on going the PCV valve drilled out + filter idea that most lazy folks do.

BTW, here's a pic of the area.

This might be a little more than you bargained for but, it's good info.

http://www.infinitiscene.com/forum/t...-Air-separator.