5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sloppy shifts. VB, TCM, Solenoids?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:59 PM

Sloppy shifts. VB, TCM, Solenoids?

hi all,

i have a 2000 max with the auto, its an 99 build date, im on top of maintence!

i got the car @ 134,000 kms and is currently at about 190,000kms.

i suffer from the 2-3 cold shift flare (minimal flaring 200-300 rpm) that soon goes away when warm. thats a problem, a common one but not my main problem.

i have sloopy shifts, very delayed. the only shift that doesnt seem to be sloppy is 3-4. no flaring at all when warm.

i can back off the pedal which helps firm them up like others have said, if i manually shift its the same delay, but if i manually shift, lets say going from first to second and allow the rpms to reach 3500 and hang for a second then throw it into second gear i get a nice clean shift.

i know there is a ton out there on TCM's solenoids valve bodys line pressure, RSS and the list goes on.

i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on narrowing it down. all suspects are very expensive parts and i dont feel like taking 500+ dollar swings at it in hopes that i will adventually find it.

i know the cold flare is a valve body issue, i will be throwing a vb mod in it soon( unless onme of yuo guys have an already modded vb for sale??)

i know solenoids and tcm are both expensive could be's.. ive heard that the return line on the atf coolers get clogged restricting the flow lowering line pressure, and ive heard if you have a solenoid issue you will get a code for low line pressure, if the tcm goes you will get a p7xx code. so what gives? i know my clutche packs are good because i can build the pressure in the tranny and get the clean shifts i desire. should i go with a vb mod and just throw 400 bucks up for a solenoid pack while im at it? what if i throw solenoids and a vb mod at it and it makes it worse? has anyone experience this specific problem yes i know a vbmod will"stiffen up my shifts" but i want to correct the problem rather than add to it. i will post a video

btw no codes lol
Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 PM

forgot to mention

i dont feel a loss of power, i do know there is a loss in torque though. its impossible to break tread, im pulling off some butt dynos and low 8's is what i end up with, i think because of the sloppy delayed shifting. another thing i have noticed is its really quick to upshift, befor i know it its gone through all gears and is in 4th. that is really leaning me towards a tcm issue. its prematurly shifting and the motor and trans are not working together( yes i have checked the tps) i bought the car from an old couple who used to be the service advisor(husband) at a local nissan. i know there was a recall done on it for the iacv. i dont really think anything else other than routine service has been done . its well maintained, no other issues with it at all. i personally think they were an older couple who rarely drove it and when they did they babied it, that they probably never noticed it.

there are a few tsb's ive read but mentioning them to service advisors the say its a states issue and they dont apply to us up here in canada eh!

since owning it i have
changed: plugs,im gaskets,pvc, fuel strainer,maf,tps, drain and fill trans fluid,replaced cts, im sure ive forgotton something.
cleaned: iacv, tb, did a motovac clean, switched to sythetic motor oil,tested all of the problematic coils these cars are equipped with,updated ecm, reset fuel maps, idle relearn, checked for vaccuum leaks.

if any of you trans experts have a good place for me to start that would be awesome. i found a guy with a tcm out of an 03 for 50 bucks, i figured that would be a quick easynot so covered in atf dismissal of a huge possibility, but not sure if it can be used in a 2000?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:59 PM
RR5

Check around for a salvage yard to pickup the valve body assembly with solenoids.

-edit here's the FSM link > http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/

Check in AT for the diagnostic procedure without GST (Generic scan tool) or Consult II. Unless you have a friend working at a Nissan dealer.

Last edited by RR5; 05-10-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 AM

ok! Im just worried about a unknown used setup, do u think it would be wiser to just throw new solenoids and a vb mod in ? when i drove it this morning i made it flare, it does flare.. but it doesnt feel like a slip, its odd. i guess ill start looking around. if anyone else has any imput id love to hear! unfortunatly i dont know anyone at the local nissan dealer and only have a basic odb scanner, so im sol. but ill look for a used assembly. thanks again "RR5"
Old 05-11-2012, 09:19 AM
RR5

New solenoids are rather pricey alone and the valve body including solenoids is very pricey. You could always remove the valve body and see if a transmission shop will reman it for you. I went looking this week and got a local shop's quote of $275 which is very reasonable considering a Nissan dealer wanted $1255 for a new valve body.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:39 AM

Yea i was considering a rebuild on it.. Well, i guess ill take it to a shop.. thanks again!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:41 AM

Wouldnt i get a check engine light if it was the solenoids? i guess if there lazy and stuck i wouldnt get one cuz they would still be in range.of what there supposed too. can i drop the valve body and clean them? is that possible?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 AM
RR5

No. That is why I posted the FSM link. Look in the AT pdf for the diagnostic procedure to follow for testing those items.

-You want AT-51 to start.

-And for the solenoids, the transmission shop can test the solenoids and possibly repair them.

Last edited by RR5; 05-11-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by RR5
New solenoids are rather pricey alone and the valve body including solenoids is very pricey. You could always remove the valve body and see if a transmission shop will reman it for you. I went looking this week and got a local shop's quote of $275 which is very reasonable considering a Nissan dealer wanted $1255 for a new valve body.
Originally Posted by RR5
No. That is why I posted the FSM link. Look in the AT pdf for the diagnostic procedure to follow for testing those items.

-You want AT-51 to start.

-And for the solenoids, the transmission shop can test the solenoids and possibly repair them.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:30 PM

It doesnt really make sense.. it tells me to put in "1" press/release acc. pedal and a sport button should blink. i dont have a sport button?? Am i reading this wrong .. and whats with the "euro" vs. "consult" ? sorry for my ignorance.

Im assuming a/t light would be the same as a sport light. a few pages befor (48) i beleive, it tells me warm the car up, turn off,wait 5 seconds, turn to acc. and i should see the a/t light come on.. it doesnt. i have never seen the a/t light upon my car ever.. After this it directs me to a/t 281 to test the tcm.. im going to test that first i guess since there is no a/t light coming on.. ever..

forget those last two posts.. i should have read befor i opened my mouth. i understand how it works now, but nothing happens, im confused on the procedure as nothing happens when i try and do it step by step, i realize that a a/t symptom would cause my od light to blink but it doesnt. i have adjusted my t.p.s. which improved it but not fully, i have a few days off work this week so im taking it to a reputable trans shop and having it diagnosed. im sure it will come back with something other than "trans needs replacing" i will take those measures and after its back to where it should be ill be doing the vb mod. thanks for the help

i dont see this fsm being for a maxima though, maybe and i30.

Originally Posted by user name001
Im assuming a/t light would be the same as a sport light. a few pages befor (48) i beleive, it tells me warm the car up, turn off,wait 5 seconds, turn to acc. and i should see the a/t light come on.. it doesnt. i have never seen the a/t light upon my car ever.. After this it directs me to a/t 281 to test the tcm.. im going to test that first i guess since there is no a/t light coming on.. ever..

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-23-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:11 PM
RR5

Hmm the procedure first starts with verifying the AT light comes on. If your light does not, check the bulb and go from there. Mine does work because it should light when you start the engine then go off after 2-3 seconds.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:16 AM

I will check today, but ive read else where o/d will blink if there are any issues for a 2000 at trans. could it be that the 00-01 have the od light blink and 02-03 have a a/t light i know my max was built in 99 .. a guy has a tcm that i can pick up for 75 bucks out of an 01 because i know my max has a3y100 in it.. should i just try throwing a new tcm in it? thanks for ur help btw, i really appreciate it!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:43 AM
dot dot dot ...

That's correct.

95-01 have an O/D light, 02-03 have an AT light.

Either way, the inexpensive TCM seems like a good buy, but, do we really think that's it?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:56 AM

Lol did the thread title get changed? i really shouldnt have put "help me"(i hate when people do that) but i figured putting anythin other than that people would ignore it since there is already so many lol .. im probably going to buy it since i have read "every max built befor 05/2000 has an affected tcm with the last digits ending in 3y100 which mine does they need to be replaced. at least if i throw it in, my next step will be vb mod then solenoids. well nmexmax, what do u think it is? u seem like u know? lol
Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 AM
dot dot dot ...

I don't know poop.

What I know: I had laggy shifts like you wouldn't believe that began around 40k (8 years ago, 90k miles). I bought a new VB, and have not felt the same problem ever since. Did i get lucky? Probably.

I also know that 4th gen VB's and 5.5 gens aren't the same. Do I know if 5.0 gens are the same as 5.5 gens? No, do I have a 5.5 gen VB for sale? Yes.

I also know that one time I spilled Sprite on my shifter where the TCM is, and ever since then, I have some strange shifting behavior, as in sometimes it will not want to shift from 3-4, and the light on the dash wont move nor will the gear change when I shift into 4th. This has been happening for as long as I've had this thing, or around the time I dropped my Sprite.

I also know, a VB and solenoid swap is very easy, it's the parts that cost a lot.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:05 AM

Also nmexmax, did u read that fsm? does it apply to 00-01? what is this sport/at button it speaks of? im pretty sure that fsm applies to 02-03.. and is that true what i said about the tcm? are they really "all" affected of that build date and befor? or just certain ones of that build date? it feels like my car is shifting at incorrect times(too soon) my downshifts suck, and i can get nice firm shifts if i manually shift it, but i have to hold it at a high rpm befor dropping into the next gear which makes me thibk my clutch packs are ok. if i manually shift while rpms are still climbing they still kinda suck.. its almost like i have to let the rpms hang at lets say 3000 rpm for a second befor dropping it into second to build line pressure.. do the tcms affect manual shifting as well? does a tcm only control shift points or line pressure in general or?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:11 AM
dot dot dot ...

That's another thing I know, I've tried to infinium, the 02-03 AT light diagnostics procedure, and never once have gotten it to work.

I've tried it cold, warm, you name it, I can't get it to work. The 02-03 doesn't mention a sport button, but I have yet to look at the 00-01 but it may refer to the OD off button on the shifter (since the 02-03 do not have this)

*edit
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2000/at.pdf

Hmm .... I think it's only asking if that S light comes on or not.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-23-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:11 AM

Yea i can get a used tranny from this 01 for 400 (all i want is the vb but have to buy the entire trans which i dont have that coin right now to buy it. i can get a new solenoid kit for 180. and i can install this all myself np. its just i need coin to do it!! well ill try this tcm and post back with any info. thanks guys!! i really appreciate it .. im young broke and owe alot in student loans, so ur savin me a buck from takin it somewhere to spend hours of diagnosing! i should have bought a standard.....
Old 05-23-2012, 10:16 AM
dot dot dot ...

If you could scour the AM forum or some other place that indicates that the VB from the 00-03 will fit, then I can sell you mine.

I'm 98% sure it does.

I'm selling for 100+ shipping.

Might save the solenoid $$ in the long run.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 AM

Ok!! well im going to try this tcm, if its a no go, i will be buying your vb if it works in a 2000! ill research it soon.
Originally Posted by NmexMAX
If you could scour the AM forum or some other place that indicates that the VB from the 00-03 will fit, then I can sell you mine.

I'm 98% sure it does.

I'm selling for 100+ shipping.

Might save the solenoid $$ in the long run.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:38 PM

Got the tcm ending in 3y901.. will post back with results
Old 05-23-2012, 03:32 PM

Hey guys! got a 00-03 tcm for sale! y3901 . lol , DAMNIT!!!! didnt work...