5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th gen Off Topic Thread (Official Ghustle thread v1)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012 | 01:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Clashez to me=Dj khaled.

"WE DA BESS!!!!! I TOLD YOU WE DA BESS!!!! WHO???? WE N***A!!!!!! WE DA BESS!!!!"
Lol you trying to say I'm the hype man lol I been told that before..
Clashez= juelz Santana
Old 05-17-2012 | 03:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rochester
Here's good question for this crew... what's the best way to launch my car? Should I rev it and dump the clutch, or walk it off idle? I've had successes and failures with both approaches.

Sometimes if you dump the clutch, it bogs down before it can pick up. And if you rev it too high, you spin. Neither are good. But when it catches perfectly, it can be a real rush, like a sledgehammer kicking you off the line.

And while that's nice, it's more satisfying to have that perfect launch off idle into WOT, where it's less like a hammer, and more like a rubber band, if you follow the analogy. The problem is, getting this perfect launch is more difficult, and more often than not it goes wrong.

I really need to learn how to drive.

Hustler drags cars. School me, son. No, wait... he drives automatics at the strip.
Use launch control! wait but
Old 05-17-2012 | 03:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by essential1
Am I the only nerd who used to watch this show?

voltron
star rangers
thundercats
GI Joe
kukla fran and ollie
the good old day them were
Old 05-17-2012 | 03:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Well, that's awefully forward of you

nah, nah, we coo

That vid didn't last long, I didn't get to see it.......

CJ: Do I have to be the guy to ask about your Avatar, please baby jesus tell me that's you and your wife. That's the bstest thing I've ever seen.

EDIT: John came in with some pun that I'm guessing only an old person would get the reference to. Either that or I'm out of touch. Both are very high in the possibility category.
Correct and Thank You.
Yes just some of our Old Folks humor
Old 05-17-2012 | 03:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
At The Moment.
i hope your not switch hitting there Chrisman if so were gonna have to Man you up a little
Old 05-17-2012 | 03:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cjandura
voltron
star rangers
thundercats
GI Joe
kukla fran and ollie
the good old day them were
You forgot HE-MAN
Old 05-17-2012 | 04:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Clashez
You forgot HE-MAN
You would bring up that muscle bound flaming gay cat riding rump ranger.anybody riding around on a stripped cat waving a sword around and wearing a tiarra is Gay
Old 05-17-2012 | 04:16 AM

Old 05-17-2012 | 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
I would never guess you would use that syn wax stuff......

Im old school and seek out a good brazilian carnauba and upkeep with a good polish and clay bar. I waxed mine not 3 weeks ago and it still performs flawlessly in the rain. If I have the money I get Zaino(http://www.zainostore.com/) but really Mothers California Gold Original Formula Carnauba Cleaner Wax is fine and more readily found in stores. I love that mothers plus it comes with an application pad
I know this flies in the face of what almost everyone else uses. I've been using ICE wash & wax. Strange stuff, but it works as advertised. ICE lasts roughly 3mos & the wash restores some shine between waxes. The best part is, it works fine on non-gloss black/rubber & leaves no white residue. That said, it won't give the deep mirror-like shine of old school wax. Similar to how Nu-Finish sacrifices shine for durability. ICE comes w/applicator pad & microfiber towel too. ICE is not for those looking for the ultimate show car finish. But for convenient ease of use protection, something to consider.
Old 05-17-2012 | 05:44 AM

You would bring up that muscle bound flaming gay cat riding rump ranger.anybody riding around on a stripped cat waving a sword around and wearing a tiarra is Gay
You've never seen SkyDancers.

And how is referencing Gwen Ifill an 'old guy' thing? Doesn't anybody watch PBS News anymore?

Stupid kids.
Old 05-17-2012 | 06:03 AM
Banned

That very gay of you to think of he-man like that ... like tunder cats wouldn't be any worst
Old 05-17-2012 | 06:27 AM
Banned

That very gay of you to think of he-man like that ... like tunder cats wouldn't be any worst
Go put you he man underoos on a prance around like the fancy fairy you are you sausage wrangling freak
Old 05-17-2012 | 06:27 AM

Everything about this picture is just dirty.

Name:  IMAG0489.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  161.0 KB
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:00 AM
Banned

Go put you he man underoos on a prance around like the fancy fairy you are you sausage wrangling freak
Something tell me you have a secret crush on me or u really really like me... lol
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:10 AM
Banned

Something tell me you have a secret crush on me or u really really like me... lol
if by crush you mean beaten with a bat,thrown in a ditch and 75lbs of landscaping lye sprinkled over you then yes it is!
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
Everything about this picture is just dirty.

i might have to come by and borrow a few parts
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:18 AM
Got Retrofit?

Hey Vas, why did you never install the CF front lip?

I still haven't..
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:21 AM

Hey Vas, why did you never install the CF front lip?

I still haven't..
The place I used to live before had a sucky entrance so I would have destroyed the lip in a heartbeat. Plus my passenger side fender is destroyed so the lip would have not lined up.

I will purchase a Stillen lip one day and have the body of the car fixed.
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:21 AM

That's a nice big front mount IC there..
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Galactica
It is just a radiator

But I finally decided to work on it yesterday. Got my secondary electric fan installed as well as the fan control kit. Today I plan to wire it up and fill the cooling system back up.
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:38 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
The place I used to live before had a sucky entrance so I would have destroyed the lip in a heartbeat. Plus my passenger side fender is destroyed so the lip would have not lined up.

I will purchase a Stillen lip one day and have the body of the car fixed.
Yeah, I'm worried bout it round here lol

You should've bought my used Stillen when I had it. Ended up selling them with the rears as a package.
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:39 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Galactica
Get with the rice in here, it's FMIC.
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:43 AM

Here's good question for this crew... what's the best way to launch my car? Should I rev it and dump the clutch, or walk it off idle? I've had successes and failures with both approaches.

Sometimes if you dump the clutch, it bogs down before it can pick up. And if you rev it too high, you spin. Neither are good. But when it catches perfectly, it can be a real rush, like a sledgehammer kicking you off the line.

And while that's nice, it's more satisfying to have that perfect launch off idle into WOT, where it's less like a hammer, and more like a rubber band, if you follow the analogy. The problem is, getting this perfect launch is more difficult, and more often than not it goes wrong.

I really need to learn how to drive.

Hustler drags cars. School me, son. No, wait... he drives automatics at the strip.
In my short RWD experience I've had my best launches keeping the needle in the powerband the whole time.

My camarruhh's best work was done 3-3.5k slipping it in quickly. I had 245s on the back that were summer tires, no idea what brand, been too long, do remember they were loud and sticky.

When I autoX my friend's miata...
Bounce of the rev limiter, dump clutch.
Perfect launch every time

It really depends on the KE req'd to break static friction of the wheels and the PE of your vehicle to determine launches (And how much uhmph the motor has to overcome the KE and PE of these things)

So lets say you have the typical G37S sedan tires, 245-45-18s, if it's like the older models you have the Potenza RE050s, a very hard tire, noisy by my standards.

Hard so Id say traction at regular driving temps won't be the greatest, I only had these tires in the fall in KS, so they were always all over the place, but I do rememeber once you start pushing them they start waking up more.

And in my fooling around w/ RWD VQ35s, they don't like launching @ high rpms very well, I've ended up sideways in many a 350zs in my life time, so my peak tq launching theory fails.

But your car is quite heavy compared to a 03 Z and heavier than the 04 Convertible I got to drive for awhile, so I would start fooling around w/ 5k quick slips (Get the vehicle rolling then dump it) w/ traction control off and see where that gets you.

My friend in his full bolt on mustang does quick slips and he just gets a minor chirp/spin and that car is G O N E. I have only been able to keep up close enough to barely read his license plate in all of our dig adventures vs the red car (On a roll he just barely creeps away ever so slowly, but out the hole it's an animal that just leaves me crying).

Moral of the story: RWD Quick slip in of the clutch, play with your RPMS according to the results. FWD cars use more clutch when launching, due to less parts absorbing the forces of the motor.

-This is of course based on my short experience w/ beating the **** out of vehicles, just mho on the subject.

Last edited by aackshun; 05-17-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:48 AM

At The Moment.

i hope your not switch hitting there Chrisman if so were gonna have to Man you up a little
Perhaps a Polo hat?

And how is referencing Gwen Ifill an 'old guy' thing? Doesn't anybody watch PBS News anymore?

Stupid kids.
seeeee? Old guy thing.
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:55 AM

seeeee? Old guy thing.
Your sarcasm detector is broken.
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:55 AM
Banned

Perhaps a Polo hat?

seeeee? Old guy thing.
he watches it when the nurse wheels him over to the lookin window with his afternoon prune cup and tea biscuit
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
In my short RWD experience I've had my best launches keeping the needle in the powerband the whole time.

My camarruhh's best work was done 3-3.5k slipping it in quickly. I had 245s on the back that were summer tires, no idea what brand, been too long, do remember they were loud and sticky.

When I autoX my friend's miata...
Bounce of the rev limiter, dump clutch.
Perfect launch every time

It really depends on the KE req'd to break static friction of the wheels and the PE of your vehicle to determine launches (And how much uhmph the motor has to overcome the KE and PE of these things)

So lets say you have the typical G37S sedan tires, 245-45-18s, if it's like the older models you have the Potenza RE050s, a very hard tire, noisy by my standards.

Hard so Id say traction at regular driving temps won't be the greatest, I only had these tires in the fall in KS, so they were always all over the place, but I do rememeber once you start pushing them they start waking up more.

And in my fooling around w/ RWD VQ35s, they don't like launching @ high rpms very well, I've ended up sideways in many a 350zs in my life time, so my peak tq launching theory fails.

But your car is quite heavy compared to a 03 Z and heavier than the 04 Convertible I got to drive for awhile, so I would start fooling around w/ 5k quick slips (Get the vehicle rolling then dump it) w/ traction control off and see where that gets you.

My friend in his full bolt on mustang does quick slips and he just gets a minor chirp/spin and that car is G O N E. I have only been able to keep up close enough to barely read his license plate in all of our dig adventures vs the red car (On a roll he just barely creeps away ever so slowly, but out the hole it's an animal that just leaves me crying).

Moral of the story: RWD Quick slip in of the clutch, play with your RPMS according to the results. FWD cars use more clutch when launching, due to less parts absorbing the forces of the motor.

-This is of course based on my short experience w/ beating the **** out of vehicles, just mho on the subject.
Excellent response, aackshun.

To paraphrase your advice, and some of Tuner's: hold the RPM's and dump the clutch. But the trick is fining the right RPM range for the car. Yes? I need to go play... 500 rpm bumps until I find the sweet spot.

Or am I completely misinterpreting what you wrote?

Tuner said something about disabling traction control, but in a straight-line launch I'm not sure how that matters. In that situation, my VLSD comes properly into play, and that's mechanical.
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:59 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by aackshun

.[/I]
And of course squat, which puts weight on the rear wheels, hence adding traction, and removes weight from the front, resulting in an inversely proportioned outcome, easily spin tires in FWD, opposite RWD.
Old 05-17-2012 | 08:00 AM

Took the yellow soft "buffing pad" that comes with the 3m headlight kit and some Meguiars ultimate compound to the left rear quarter panel...it actually looks better than I expected... gotta find me more of those 3" velcro-backed pads. Got the rest of the car to do now
Old 05-17-2012 | 08:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
Took the yellow soft "buffing pad" that comes with the 3m headlight kit and some Meguiars ultimate compound to the left rear quarter panel...it actually looks better than I expected... gotta find me more of those 3" velcro-backed pads. Got the rest of the car to do now
Harbour Freight $2.99 fer tree ub dem
Old 05-17-2012 | 08:02 AM

gotta find me more of those 3" velcro-backed pads. Got the rest of the car to do now
Walmart. 4-microfiber pads and one cloth pad, with a velco pad "handle", for under $5.
Old 05-17-2012 | 08:10 AM

Wat? Really? I love amazon but 12.99 for a 2pack...no thanks.

Will try walmart first, then harbor afterwards. Thanks guys
Old 05-17-2012 | 08:12 AM
Banned

Wat? Really? I love amazon but 12.99 for a 2pack...no thanks.

Will try walmart first, then harbor afterwards. Thanks guys
3m products give you no break! check the price of them little 20000000000 grit sanding pads that come with the kit you have to get a box of 250
Old 05-17-2012 | 08:14 AM

Yeah, I'm worried bout it round here lol

You should've bought my used Stillen when I had it. Ended up selling them with the rears as a package.
I would clear the lip though before you install it to give it extra protection against chips and cracks. Or use clear-bra on it. Something of that nature.

I was going to buy it from you but other things got in the way. I am just hoping stillen will still sell me a new one.
Old 05-17-2012 | 08:16 AM

Tuner said something about disabling traction control, but in a straight-line launch I'm not sure how that matters. In that situation, my VLSD comes properly into play, and that's mechanical.
Traction control detects wheel rotation and compares it to Driveshaft/engine speed. IF the numbers don't match up it engages traction control.

On the G, I believe this is done with a slight brake actuation on the rear wheel that is spinning in combination with decrease in throttle/power.

When you're dumping the clutch, the trac control system doesn't like what it's seeing and as a safety, it kicks in.

This is lessened with the trac OFF switch, but it will always be there unless you disable it manually with some wiring/fuse pulling.

Try it with/without the Traction Control switch OFF, and see how much differece it makes in your 'bog down'.

What aack's saying is every car's ideal launch RPM is different, so is how you come off the clutch. Some you engage a bit slower or 'burn in' the clutch, and some you just let go and engage and let the clutch bite in hard. Both work differently on different cars. The first is hardest on the clutch, the second is hardest on the drivetrain.
The biggest key is not over-revving so you're out of the power band, or so that you're just spinning tires, because you want the tires to grab.
Old 05-17-2012 | 08:20 AM

Old 05-17-2012 | 08:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by phatboislim
Stop hiding behind Chrismans couch you perv
Old 05-17-2012 | 08:25 AM

Have you guys seen this crap!?!?!?

Old 05-17-2012 | 08:29 AM

Excellent response, aackshun.

To paraphrase your advice, and some of Tuner's: hold the RPM's and slip-in the clutch. But the trick is fining (lol typo!) the right RPM range for the car. Yes? I need to go play... 500 rpm bumps until I find the sweet spot.

Or am I completely misinterpreting what you wrote?
-Now we're good

Not as mechanical as my HLSD boom, headshot

When I say quick slip, get the vehicle moving about 1 foot or 2 before letting all hell break loose, the coefficient of kinetic friction is MUCH higher than static friction.

This is the best of both worlds, well as good as you can get when abusing a vehicle anyways, less drivetrain shock, less clutch use.

I think the 3.7 is a beast of a motor so 5k is too much to start with, but you have to have a reference point to start from.

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
And of course squat, which puts weight on the rear wheels, hence adding traction, and removes weight from the front, resulting in an inversely proportioned outcome, easily spin tires in FWD, opposite RWD.
Forgot about that, that too, nice catch.

Traction control detects wheel rotation and compares it to Driveshaft/engine speed. IF the numbers don't match up it engages traction control.

On the G, I believe this is done with a slight brake actuation on the rear wheel that is spinning in combination with decrease in throttle/power.

When you're dumping the clutch, the trac control system doesn't like what it's seeing and as a safety, it kicks in.

This is lessened with the trac OFF switch, but it will always be there unless you disable it manually with some wiring/fuse pulling.

Try it with/without the Traction Control switch OFF, and see how much differece it makes in your 'bog down'.
I thought it was done w/ throttle body blipping, not saying that's how it's done, I just thought it was that way because of electronic TB and what not

But everything else is on point to the examination of the trac control system.

What another one of my friend did to learn his stang (another stang friend) he uses his go pro, and does a bunch of launches and watches how his tire reacts on each launch, either spin or bog.

You can lay a video camera down also and watch it, you only need to do a 0-20 and find a nice empty alley-way / cul-de-sac / etc

Last edited by aackshun; 05-17-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-17-2012 | 08:31 AM
Banned

Have you guys seen this crap!?!?!?

told you it was some good crap i got 2 yards of it for like $54 i think my first try with it is making a phone cover for this damn iCrap phone cause the store wants like $30 for 2 little slivers to cover the phone.btw the silver CF di Noc looks really nice

Quick Reply: 5th gen Off Topic Thread (Official Ghustle thread v1)