5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen Ranking Thread - Bolt-on Suspension Bars

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 08:26 AM

5th Gen Ranking Thread - Bolt-on Suspension Bars

Another strut bar thread just came and went, which is both unremarkable and typical for the Org. Someone discovered the concept of a RSTB, and then the inevitable questions about value. For whatever reason, I ranked 3 similar items against one another based on personal experience and highly subjective observation. The sequence and numbers I came to are this:
RSB > FSTB > RSTB
With a weighted ratio of: 10:03:01 respectively.

It's hard not to focus too much on any one measure of value, such as Cost, Performance or Bling. That's where things get really subjective. But It seemed like the idea might be fun to talk about, and maybe some good advice can come out of it.

And maybe we can take up other Ranking threads.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Another strut bar thread just came and went, which is both unremarkable and typical for the Org. Someone discovered the concept of a RSTB, and then the inevitable questions about value. For whatever reason, I ranked 3 similar items against one another based on personal experience and highly subjective observation. The sequence and numbers I came to are this:
RSB > FSTB > RSTB
With a weighted ratio of: 10:03:01 respectively.

It's hard not to focus too much on any one measure of value, such as Cost, Performance or Bling. That's where things get really subjective. But It seemed like the idea might be fun to talk about, and maybe some good advice can come out of it.

And maybe we can take up other Ranking threads.
I must have overlooked this particular thread.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:43 PM

Cool idea. Speaking from a newb perspective this is really helpful.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:58 PM

When sequenced by bling, obviously it's FSTB > RSTB > RSB, at 10:03:01. And when rated by which is the easiest install, it's still FSTB > RSTB > RSB.

But all that is rubbish, because the Rear Sway Bar is the hands-down best bolt-on bar for the 5th gen. Even the most dull and insensitive driver would notice the handling gains of a RSB on the car.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:46 PM

O really I need to get me a rsb next on ma list
Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 AM

I don't know why but I really like the ranking of mods out of 10, and the ranking of them respectively due to their association with other mods. Though it is highly opinion based I like the idea of it. Someone with lowering springs, might rate the same mod differently due to their set up, versus someone with no lowering springs. So as long as the associated mods are listed it should hold some value.

LTB Stage II : 9
(conservatively IMO, but when I see Roch's 10 on RSB, a LTB Stage II deserves a 10 also)

you could probably apply this categorized ranking to all types of mods not just Bolt on Suspension.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:57 AM

if a FSTB is better than a RSTB then i gotta say its a pointless thing to get because that FSTB does nothing at all.... at all... wont waste my money on a FSTB again

EDIT: like the above poster mentioned.. LTB's are boss... id much rather that than a FSTB... unless $20 from ebay just to make the engine bay more chromy, thats all it does really

Last edited by Grand_hustle17; 05-21-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:08 AM

On a macphearson suspension set-up like the maxima, a front strut bar actually does have an effect on the suspension even if some people say they can't feel an improvement from it.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:14 AM

If you buy a REAL FSTB, such as a solid aluminum one with no joints on it, you will notice difference in the car's response.

I.E.:

Why would they use FSTB on race-spec cars if they did absolutely nothing...?

Not just because racecar...
Old 05-21-2012, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
On a macphearson suspension set-up like the maxima, a front strut bar actually does have an effect on the suspension even if some people say they can't feel an improvement from it.
not saying it dont, hopefully you couldve read through the dramatization... from an extreme literal perspective im sure the FSTB is of some difference (one where its never felt) but with such minor and lemme emphasize MINOR difference its not worth getting unless you just wanna add to your mod list n make it look interesting (i believe that is even more effective than the FSTB)
Old 05-21-2012, 08:17 AM

Maybe it's just me, but when I installed my FSTB on the stock suspension, the front end definitely felt a little snappier around corners. It felt like the car was more willing to take the corner.

Once I had coilovers, you couldn't really feel anything. But prior to that, it was definitely an improvement.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Banned

isnt the ideal of a FSTB to keep the strut towers from flexing during hard work?i never got into this MOD
Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by cjandura
isnt the ideal of a FSTB to keep the strut towers from flexing during hard work?i never got into this MOD
Right. It essentially ties the tops of the strut housings together to reduce flex of the strut housings around corners. Coupled with a LTB, it greatly reduces suspension flex in the front end.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
not saying it dont, hopefully you couldve read through the dramatization... from an extreme literal perspective im sure the FSTB is of some difference (one where its never felt) but with such minor and lemme emphasize MINOR difference its not worth getting unless you just wanna add to your mod list n make it look interesting (i believe that is even more effective than the FSTB)
The difference on a stock suspension is not minor. Chassis flex exists especially since the strut towers on the Maxima are further away from the firewall.
Now if the fstb tied into the firewall, the effect would even be greater.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
If you buy a REAL FSTB, such as a solid aluminum one with no joints on it, you will notice difference in the car's response.

I.E.:

Yea the ideal fstb would be a one piece design with no joints in it.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:32 AM

I.E.:

smmfh... why do they take the headlight out on drag cars??? maybe you should too n drive daily... cmon man... bro we are talking about on a maxima... im sure a FSTB works wonders on another model car, im not saying the thing does not ever work for any car made in life, that would be a broad ignorant statement, but seeing as though we are in the 00-03 section of maxima.org i only assumed we were talking about 00-03 maximas wouldnt you??? just because a performance chip work in a race car does it means it work in out lil family sedan???
Old 05-21-2012, 08:36 AM

o.k here comes the literal crap that doesnt even exist to make a point...

Old 05-21-2012, 08:36 AM

A good read about FSTB that I pulled up on google.

http://home.earthlink.net/~maxfaq/stb/index.htm
Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 AM

Maybe it's just me, but when I installed my FSTB on the stock suspension, the front end definitely felt a little snappier around corners. It felt like the car was more willing to take the corner.

Once I had coilovers, you couldn't really feel anything. But prior to that, it was definitely an improvement.
Same here, it wasn't a huge 'wow' but the car definitely felt tighter in the turns.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:42 AM

smmfh... why do they take the headlight out on drag cars??? maybe you should too n drive daily... cmon man... bro we are talking about on a maxima... im sure a FSTB works wonders on another model car, im not saying the thing does not ever work for any car made in life, that would be a broad ignorant statement, but seeing as though we are in the 00-03 section of maxima.org i only assumed we were talking about 00-03 maximas wouldnt you??? just because a performance chip work in a race car does it means it work in out lil family sedan???
I'm just saying. With the shoddy stock suspension the Maxima comes with, it pretty much needs all the help it can get.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
Same here, it wasn't a huge 'wow'
The reason because of this is

a) the bar is not a one piece design
b) it is not tied into the firewall

But there is a difference between not having a FSTB on a MacPhearson suspension and having one.

The nature of the MacPhearson set-up and the way it is designed compared to a double wishbone set-up is that the load is transfered directly to the top when cornering loads are applied. A FSTB helps to tie-in both sides in which it helps reduce the amount of camber change when a vehicle corners.

BTW maxima or not maxima, the issue here is the MacPhearson suspension.

Last edited by Shift_Max; 05-21-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 AM

The difference on a stock suspension is not minor. Chassis flex exists especially since the strut towers on the Maxima are further away from the firewall.
Now if the fstb tied into the firewall, the effect would even be greater.
it is... did it with my stock 5.5.... did absolutely nothing... this is a point we will just have to agree to disagree... i know without any persuation for a fact you cannot feel any difference with the FSTB, and ppl here always buy a mod and it messes with there minds on how much a difference it makes... brett overe here kinda proved it... you guys clearly state how the benefit is to reduce the front from flexing, oh any ave turn, how much flex does the car really have and how much of that is reduced for you to "feel it"...
Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 AM

it is... did it with my stock 5.5.... did absolutely nothing... this is a point we will just have to agree to disagree... i know without any persuation for a fact you cannot feel any difference with the FSTB, and ppl here always buy a mod and it messes with there minds on how much a difference it makes... brett overe here kinda proved it... you guys clearly state how the benefit is to reduce the front from flexing, oh any ave turn, how much flex does the car really have and how much of that is reduced for you to "feel it"...
And I tell you that you can feel a difference with a fstb on a MacPhearson suspension. And this is coming from an individual that has designed and engineered other suspension related parts for the maxima.

Cut the crap.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:57 AM

this one im gonna have to call BS on but ill repect you guys evaluation on this... ill need proof some how of this difference... aackshun is needed... when i come here and people installing a filter or a pulley and rave how the feel some random "difference" just further prooves how over exaggerated some things are... again i am not saying there is not difference at all, but its moreso minor on paper.... my evaluation of a FSTB is.... if the car was gonna loose control at lets say 100mph around some random turn because of chassis flex then the car wouldve loss control around the same corner at 100mph also... now if we get into fine details and say the car was going 100.37mph then the FSTB may help if the car was going 100.40mph (not an actual number of where i think the car would give out but just merely expressing how minor of a difference i am talking about here)... again this is just my evaluation...
Old 05-21-2012, 09:00 AM

The reason because of this is

a) the bar is not a one piece design
b) it is not tied into the firewall

But there is a difference between not having a FSTB on a MacPhearson suspension and having one.

The nature of the MacPhearson set-up and the way it is designed compared to a double wishbone set-up is that the load is transfered directly to the top when cornering loads are applied. A FSTB helps to tie-in both sides in which it helps reduce the amount of camber change when a vehicle corners.
Agreed, when I got my Racingline it definitely was a difference. I was on HR's. It wasn't a 'wow' like my SFC's were, but definitely noticeable.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:01 AM

And I tell you that you can feel a difference with a fstb on a MacPhearson suspension. And this is coming from an individual that has designed and engineered other suspension related parts for the maxima.

Cut the crap.
and i not saying you dont... if cattman designs a 3" header and say "hey i designed it and i say it makes a difference" would that be enough, no... again i tried it and it was hands down the silliest most pointless suspension mod i ever had on my maxima... im sure i can have my own evaluation and if none of us can show proof as to why its a difference on a 00-03 FWD nissan maxima A33 then we are both just as correct or incorrect
Old 05-21-2012, 09:01 AM

I felt the FSTB helped tame torque steer more then anything
Old 05-21-2012, 09:02 AM

I'm just saying. With the shoddy stock suspension the Maxima comes with, it pretty much needs all the help it can get.
this i dont disagree with.. buy if you buy better tires your car would handle better than if you bought a FSTB...
Old 05-21-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by TheIntrepidMontti
I felt the FSTB helped tame torque steer more then anything
and you what ill even agree with this on a open dif transmission over ppl saying now my 20mph turn is so much better....
Old 05-21-2012, 09:10 AM

this one im gonna have to call BS on but ill repect you guys evaluation on this... ill need proof some how of this difference... aackshun is needed... when i come here and people installing a filter or a pulley and rave how the feel some random "difference" just further prooves how over exaggerated some things are... again i am not saying there is not difference at all, but its moreso minor on paper.... my evaluation of a FSTB is.... if the car was gonna loose control at lets say 100mph around some random turn because of chassis flex then the car wouldve loss control around the same corner at 100mph also... now if we get into fine details and say the car was going 100.37mph then the FSTB may help if the car was going 100.40mph (not an actual number of where i think the car would give out but just merely expressing how minor of a difference i am talking about here)... again this is just my evaluation...
OF course on the street the difference is minor since the majority of people do not push their cars hard during cornering. However on an actual course, the difference is vastly greater.

I am not going to continue and argue with you over something that simple physics can prove.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 AM

OF course on the street the difference is minor since the majority of people do not push their cars hard during cornering. However on an actual course, the difference is vastly greater.

I am not going to continue and argue with you over something that simple physics can prove.
i wasnt arguing i stated my evaluation just like you did yours, i also agree that there was a difference but minor so i dont see where or why were you arguing... i still feel the same and know the same... two or 3 ppl in here say how they feel this random difference just driving yet you didnt disagree with them but you also agree with me saying that daily driven you dont feel a difference... 3 different stories here, can we not say there is some exaggeration on some parts if not all

I said from a literal stand point there is a difference but nothing you will feel

Brett and someone else said- it made his car (maxima) just turn better n a lil peppier

You said, it makes a noticeable difference if taken to the extreme on a road coarse but not felt just in a daily commute and not pushing the limits

whats to argue?? we all gave our evaluations on how well we think this performs yet im getting bashed for what i experience... WTF?

Last edited by Grand_hustle17; 05-21-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:27 AM

I said from a literal stand point there is a difference but nothing I, Grand_hustle17, will feel
Fixed for accuracy, Denver, because your experience is your own. You're entirely welcome to your own opinion, but please stop misrepresenting it time and again as a "fact". That's absurd and a little ignorant... and you are certainly not an ignorant member here when it comes to the Maxima. Your opinion on the FSTB is a valid one, even if it is overwhelmingly disputed by the crushing weight of everyone else.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-21-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:34 AM

Fixed for accuracy, Denver, because your experience is your own. You're entirely welcome to your own opinion, but please stop misrepresenting it time and against as a "fact". That's absurd and a little ignorant... and you are certainly not an ignorant member here when it comes to the Maxima. Your opinion on the FSTB is a valid one, even if it is overwhelmingly disputed by the crushing weight of everyone else.
but in this case can we not say the same if we tell somebody they will feel a difference too?? that is their own opinion on the part correct?? im just asking a question now
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 AM

hold up

lets not turn this thread into the dead horse debate of the functionality of the FSTB, and keep it on track with rating these mods
Old 05-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Banned

I.E.:

I have agree with you on this .. on one of my female friend 03 volvo s60 it has the front strut bar with no joints in it. Just one soild piece of metal ... and that's from the factory ..
Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 AM

but in this case can we not say the same if we tell somebody they will feel a difference too?? that is their own opinion on the part correct?? im just asking a question now
OK, then. Let's say that for people who've installed a FSTB (or RSTB) on the 5th Gen Maxima, the consensus is that you will feel minor handling gains. These opinions may be real, or psycho-semantic. Either way, it's the majority opinion.

There are some who claim to notice no difference what-so-ever. This may be entirely valid for that person's car, or a claim fueled by contributing suspension mods (such as lowering your car to the point of uselessness). Or it could simply be the result of dull senses on the part of the claimant.

How's that, Hustler?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
lets not turn this thread into the dead horse debate of the functionality of the FSTB, and keep it on track with rating these mods
Argh! The voice of reason. Of course, you're right, Prophecy.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:48 AM

OK, then. Let's say that for people who've installed a FSTB (or RSTB) on the 5th Gen Maxima, the consensus is that you will feel minor handling gains. These opinions may be real, or psycho-semantic. Either way, it's the majority opinion.

There are some who claim to notice no difference what-so-ever. This may be entirely valid for that person's car, or a claim fueled by contributing suspension mods (such as lowering your car to the point of uselessness). Or it could simply be the result of dull senses on the part of the claimant.

How's that, Hustler?
that could be true... to whoever had a FSTB on a car lowered senseless, but i said earlier i had a FSTB on my STOCK 5.5 gen... never had one for my DEK which was dumped
Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 AM

You've said your piece, Hustler. Rank the RSB, FSTB and RSTB against one another according the the thread intent and move on...

...assuming you have experience with a RSB and RSTB from which to gauge your opinion. Otherwise, thanks for playing.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-21-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
THIS... i agree...

Rating
#1 RSB
#2 LTB
and i guess thats it for bolt on control bars, the rest TO ME is irrelevant n pointless

Quick Reply: 5th Gen Ranking Thread - Bolt-on Suspension Bars