5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help: Windshield Washer Nozzle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 12:12 PM

Help: Windshield Washer Nozzle Problem

I have a 01 SE and I just noticed a problem with the windshield washer nozzle and I wanted to know if others are having this problem. It so long for me to find this problem because I hardly ever use the washers.

It seems that the fluid is not coming out strong enough, it comes out very lazyly. And at high speeds it hardly sprays the windshield.

Anyone else have this problem? I will be going to the dealership this week so I wanted to see if others are having this problem.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 01-06-2002, 12:15 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Help: Windshield Washer Nozzle Problem

Yes I noticed this with my 2001. My 2000 wasn't like this, so I have no idea whats wrong. I am making a list so when I take the car in for 15k service, they can look at that.

Originally posted by jsangha
I have a 01 SE and I just noticed a problem with the windshield washer nozzle and I wanted to know if others are having this problem. It so long for me to find this problem because I hardly ever use the washers.

It seems that the fluid is not coming out strong enough, it comes out very lazyly. And at high speeds it hardly sprays the windshield.

Anyone else have this problem? I will be going to the dealership this week so I wanted to see if others are having this problem.

Thanks,
Jay

Old 01-06-2002, 01:02 PM

mine just freeze up easy.... compare to my gf's 97 or my sis's 96... in a cold day in MI... mine won't even spray in the morning...
Old 01-06-2002, 01:17 PM

Thanks,
Jay
It could be clogged from wax or dirt. Try and take a needle and just poke the holes in the nozzles to get any debris or wax loose. See if that helps.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:50 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Help: Windshield Washer Nozzle Problem

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

It could be clogged from wax or dirt. Try and take a needle and just poke the holes in the nozzles to get any debris or wax loose. See if that helps.
Nope, my car did it right off the showroom floor.

Old 01-06-2002, 01:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Help: Windshield Washer Nozzle Problem

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

Nope, my car did it right off the showroom floor.
I guess the pump is a little weak then.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:40 PM

lazy drivers side

on my 2000, the drivers side is starting to go real lazy...so every once in a while I have someone put the end of their fingers over the two nozzles on the passenger side, and this seems to flush out my side, and strengthen the spray for a while..
Old 01-21-2002, 07:23 AM

Weak Motor?

Today I dropped off my car at the dealership to address this problem. The service manager advised that there isn't much they can do about it, he says even his 2k2 has this problem. He will raise the nozzles a little bit so the water hits the windshield a little higher. I'm very disappointed with his response. Here we have a case where the service manager admits there is a problem and also says that he can do nothing about it!!!
Old 02-07-2002, 10:41 PM

Re: Weak Motor?

Did that solve the issue?

Disconnect hoses, might be some stuff in there clogging / or slowing it down. If that doesn't do it, I would ask for a new motor / pump assembly.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by Max2000
mine just freeze up easy.... compare to my gf's 97 or my sis's 96... in a cold day in MI... mine won't even spray in the morning...
That probably has more to do with the fluid than the mechanim.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

Poking it won't help since that'll just force whatever was clogging it deeper into the hose and thereby harder to get out.

Maybe some solvent or some rubbing alcohol around the opening to break up whatever is clogging the opening? Careful with the paint on the car though.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:51 PM

Re: lazy drivers side

Originally posted by LeoB
on my 2000, the drivers side is starting to go real lazy...so every once in a while I have someone put the end of their fingers over the two nozzles on the passenger side, and this seems to flush out my side, and strengthen the spray for a while..

Good idea, I have some wax stuck in my left nozzle (doh!) that I just haven't tried to get out yet...I'm gonna use some alcohol pads to try to wipe up the excess and then try to blow out the rest.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:58 AM

Thanks,
Jay
I also have a 2k1, with the same problem from day 1... and no, there's nothing blocking the nozzles. I only think that it's the pump... I had to readjust the nozzles so they spray higher....
Old 02-08-2002, 07:55 AM

I believe you have to exercise "the pump" regularly, and then you'll get more powerful "spurts".
Old 02-08-2002, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Jief

I had to readjust the nozzles so they spray higher....
How do you re-aim the nozzles?
Old 02-08-2002, 06:34 PM

Re: Re: Weak Motor?

Originally posted by LEADFOOT
Did that solve the issue?

Disconnect hoses, might be some stuff in there clogging / or slowing it down. If that doesn't do it, I would ask for a new motor / pump assembly.
Basically the spray is still pretty slow, but at least it now hits the windshield in the middle. I tested it on the highway at over 70 mph and it is acceptable but definitely could be better.

The service manager showed me a brand new 2k2 and it sprayed about the same as my car.

I love my car, but this is definitely a negative for the car.