5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My 02 Max intermittently won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:14 PM

My 02 Max intermittently won't start.

I've tested the battery and the starter and both tested fine. I replaced the solenoid on the starter. It tested tested fine and the same problem. One thing I noticed is the problem started about six months ago. But now is a lot more frequent where I can't drive the car without worrying it won't start.

One thing it seems to work after a short period of time passes. Everything lights up, goes on except the car. When the key is turned the starter doesn't even click or attempt to turn. I'm also noticing now that when it does start that it hesitates before it turns over the starter. I'm thinking it's the starter, maybe the ignition switch? Any thoughts???
Old 07-03-2012, 02:00 AM

Could be a sticky solenoid in the starter. I may be the circuit that energizes the solenoid as well. Do you have the wiring diagram for your car? Next time it doesn't start, try moving some wires related to the solenoid to see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:25 AM

I just spent 4 days trying to diagnose my no start problem and the solution took ten minutes. Try running a new ground from one of the tranny bolts somewhere between your crankshaft sensor and the starter to the negative battery terminal.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:29 AM

^ that
Old 07-04-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmac
I just spent 4 days trying to diagnose my no start problem and the solution took ten minutes. Try running a new ground from one of the tranny bolts somewhere between your crankshaft sensor and the starter to the negative battery terminal.
Good info thanks. I will try and keep you posted.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmac
This is rarely the case for the 5.5 gen, but almost always the case for a 4th gen.

It's a free check. Use jumper cables from negative post to the transmission & starter to ensure you have a solid ground. Great advice, Andrew!

My money, though, is 100% on the Starter being bad. Replace it unless miracles happen with your ground test.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
This is rarely the case for the 5.5 gen, but almost always the case for a 4th gen.

It's a free check. Use jumper cables from negative post to the transmission & starter to ensure you have a solid ground. Great advice, Andrew!

My money, though, is 100% on the Starter being bad. Replace it unless miracles happen with your ground test.

Well I replaced my starter with a new one off of Ebay for $60. Installed it, car started up heard a weird noise shut the car off but the starter was still running. Replace that one from Auto Zone and the car hasn't had any problems since. So you were right. Thanks Also I had that ground wire problem on my Gen 4 so I knew exactly what you guys were talking about but the ground was fine on the Gen 5.5.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by blocster
Well I replaced my starter with a new one off of Ebay for $60. Installed it, car started up heard a weird noise shut the car off but the starter was still running. Replace that one from Auto Zone and the car hasn't had any problems since. So you were right. Thanks Also I had that ground wire problem on my Gen 4 so I knew exactly what you guys were talking about but the ground was fine on the Gen 5.5.
Thanks for posting back, most guys don't, it's always nice when others search on here to have threads that actually have finalization

And yeah, they fixed the ground on the 5th gens by putting a big 8 Gauge ground on and actually bolting it up instead of the 16 gauge onto a crappy spade terminal deal they had rigged up on the 4th gen. That was hilarious to see.

Glad you got your issue resolved!! Nice work.