5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hello, Everyone.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:57 AM

Hello, Everyone.

Last week I noticed the pivot bolt on my alternator backed out do to the lack a a nut on the end. I started the car up fine and drove it how. The car began to light up like an xmas tree. I go pulled into my driveway to notice the alt belt shredded. I replaced the belt and bolt but now she doesn't want to start for me. I spray a jet of starter fluid in it starts just a little but dies. I tried the headlight trick attempt to start the car with the light on and them dim. What's going on here? I am wrong to think this car is a money pit?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:51 AM

When you say it starts and then it dies is the engine stalling or is the electric giving out? In other words when it dies and your key is in the on position is there still dash lights, clock, etc? Or does it all go black?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 PM

No the lights and everything stays on. Also when starting the car I've noticed the second belt ( excuse my ignorance ) not the Alt belt but the one behind it is shredded can that cause my problems?
Old 07-03-2012, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jaidon05
The car began to light up like an xmas tree.
What does this mean exactly? All the lights started flashing? Every light turns on?

If the belt is shredded, replace it regardless of whether it would solve your problem.

Have you checked your battery? The problem started with the alternator so try swapping in a battery from a running car, or jump it from a running car.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmac
What does this mean exactly? All the lights started flashing? Every light turns on?

If the belt is shredded, replace it regardless of whether it would solve your problem.

Have you checked your battery? The problem started with the alternator so try swapping in a battery from a running car, or jump it from a running car.
Sorry, " flashing like a Christmas tree " being the interior lights flash. This happened when my alternator failed on me. I replaced the alt, battery, starter and the alty belt in a few months span. I noticed that the battery/
break light combo returned. I tested the Battery while off and it's was reading 12.5, I scratched the battery. The alt was brand new so I didn't test that. I did notice that the belt was loose and discovered the culprit being the long pivot bolt that thread through the alt and car frame. Tightened everything up and NO start, Cranks but nothing. Went to the back of the car while my sister placed the key in the acc. and I could hear the fuel pump turning on. went back to the belt to make sure it wasn't loose and discovered another belt, behind the alternator belt. The one attached to two pulleys and that one was the shredded one. What is this belt used for?
Old 07-03-2012, 05:59 PM

That's the belt for the power steering oil pump. Replace the belt if its torn up. I don't really think it's the source of your problem, but I can't see how bad this belt really is. If you want to be sure, remove the belt and try to start the car without it.

What RPM is the car cranking at?
Old 07-03-2012, 06:13 PM

That's the belt for the power steering oil pump. Replace the belt if its torn up. I don't really think it's the source of your problem, but I can't see how bad this belt really is. If you want to be sure, remove the belt and try to start the car without it.

What RPM is the car cranking at?
Thanks for the fast response. I am charging the battery now but the belt was so bad parts of it was wrapped around the pulley. I had no choice but to cut it off.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:13 PM

Would or should it start without the belt?
Old 07-03-2012, 06:21 PM

Yea it will start with out any belts no problem.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jaidon05
Would or should it start without the belt?
Yes. However it wont start if the belt is all wrapped up in the pulley. Not only because of a low cranking rpm but it could of ****ed with the crankshaft sensor below it.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 PM

Yes. However it wont start if the belt is all wrapped up in the pulley. Not only because of a low cranking rpm but it could of ****ed with the crankshaft sensor below it.
The belt was wrapped up in there good. Would the belt be hard to replace?
Again thanks guys for the fast responses.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:01 AM

Ok, I went down to start it again today the lights cut completely out and turns over slow rrrrr rrrr sound. The RPMs as someone suggested doesn't budge at all. Any more suggestions?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:06 AM

Generally speaking its not a difficult job. Take off the drive belt (for the alternator and a/c), loosen the tensioner for the power steering belt, put a new belt on, tighten it back up, put your other belt back on. It's a bit of a tight spot though so that can be it a little painful.

The real question is; after you cut the belt off and cut all the pieces off that were wrapped up in the crank pulley did the car start?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 AM

Generally speaking its not a difficult job. Take off the drive belt (for the alternator and a/c), loosen the tensioner for the power steering belt, put a new belt on, tighten it back up, put your other belt back on. It's a bit of a tight spot though so that can be it a little painful.

The real question is; after you cut the belt off and cut all the pieces off that were wrapped up in the crank pulley did the car start?
See Above, I think my battery is still too weak. I want to push this car in a river some where right now
Old 07-04-2012, 08:10 AM

If you do, let me know where the river is and I'll go get her back out

Yeah, sorry it looks like you posted your reply while I was typing mine, I didn't see it. You're right, with the lights going out and the slow cranking it's looking like battery. If the belt was wrapped around the pulley you were putting a lot of strain on it trying to get it to turn over. Swap the battery for a working one or jump it with another car.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:36 AM

If you do, let me know where the river is and I'll go get her back out

Yeah, sorry it looks like you posted your reply while I was typing mine, I didn't see it. You're right, with the lights going out and the slow cranking it's looking like battery. If the belt was wrapped around the pulley you were putting a lot of strain on it trying to get it to turn over. Swap the battery for a working one or jump it with another car.

I just purchased this battery like several months back but it does feel like it's not keeping it charge. I will try to jump it again. I hate not knowing what's wrong with cars.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:02 PM

TTT
Old 07-08-2012, 04:01 AM

Installed brand new battery and I am getting the same issue NO start.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:33 AM

When you're turning the key and it's cranking what RPM is it at? Does it still seem slower than it used to be ?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:16 AM

When you're turning the key and it's cranking what RPM is it at? Does it still seem slower than it used to be ?
The RPM, isn't moving at all. Would the crank pulley belt have anything to do with this? I am off to get some gas to see if that will help also.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:51 AM

The belt that shredded could have wrapped around the crank. Damagaing the crank sensor. Which equals no rpm signal making it not start. Pretty much that sensor lets the ecu know when the motor is cranking if not just cranks and cranks. Take a look at the sensor
Old 07-08-2012, 09:10 AM

Wouldn't that throw a cel? The sensor ( by the drive belt was dirty cleaned it ) I can't get the other one out on the fear of the clips breaking.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:34 PM

Bump
Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 AM

Unplug the sensor, take it off (should be one 10mm bolt), wipe it down (especially the top of it). Grab a volt meter and test the resistance between the two pins on the sensor. It should read between 470 and 570 ohms. I had someone move a screwdriver across the magnet to make sure the resistance changed as well. If it doesn't pass any of these tests then replace it.

Also visually inspect the wire that plugs into it. I find the encasing for the wires down there is pretty strong but the last half inch or so when it leaves the encasing and the two wires go into the connector itself has potential to be broken.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:56 PM

Unplug the sensor, take it off (should be one 10mm bolt), wipe it down (especially the top of it). Grab a volt meter and test the resistance between the two pins on the sensor. It should read between 470 and 570 ohms. I had someone move a screwdriver across the magnet to make sure the resistance changed as well. If it doesn't pass any of these tests then replace it.

Also visually inspect the wire that plugs into it. I find the encasing for the wires down there is pretty strong but the last half inch or so when it leaves the encasing and the two wires go into the connector itself has potential to be broken.
Thank you again for your help. I have a video of the start up attempts, sorry for the crappy audio.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:29 AM

Okay that sounds like a power/mechanical issue, forget checking sensors for now.

Since the problem started on the passenger side with the alternator/belts I would check and clean all the connections and all the grounds on that side. Engine grounds, alternator ground, etc.

If all that looks okay and your 100% confident in your battery (and you've tried to jump start the car) then I would take the starter out and go get it checked. Perhaps when the belts were wrapped around the crank pulley you burnt out the starter trying to get it to go. Which wouldn't surprise me considering you tried to start the car 150 times in that video.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:45 PM

Okay that sounds like a power/mechanical issue, forget checking sensors for now.

Since the problem started on the passenger side with the alternator/belts I would check and clean all the connections and all the grounds on that side. Engine grounds, alternator ground, etc.

If all that looks okay and your 100% confident in your battery (and you've tried to jump start the car) then I would take the starter out and go get it checked. Perhaps when the belts were wrapped around the crank pulley you burnt out the starter trying to get it to go. Which wouldn't surprise me considering you tried to start the car 150 times in that video.

Yea that was dumb of me I know. Someone suggested checking the fuel pump again but I can hear the pump turn on.