5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

LED Footwells

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:48 PM

If you want an easier way to to run it to the battery, run it out of the side of the door and run it through the fender and that will also get you a direct current without splicing, and im not 100% sure if I can even dim mine and the only reason it looks so bright is because the red is a brighter and more aggressive color, my friend had the same brand lights but blue and the brightness didn't even compare because blue is so mellow.

Last edited by zsolt117; 07-06-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:50 PM

Tuner whats funny the switch or the grill lights, yes isn't an answer to a mulitiple choice question.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Alias6
Did you guys use fuses when you tapped into things such as the cigarette lighter? or just connect the wires/switch and that was it?
My friend spliced into his CB radio and didnt use a fuse, you shouldnt have too since the cig lighter already has a fuse, if its to much you will just keep blowing the cig fuse.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:59 PM

How do you get the passenger LEDs to have the same setup as the driver LEDs . No wires on passenger side
Old 07-06-2012, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by zsolt117
If you want an easier way to to run it to the battery, run it out of the side of the door and run it through the fender and that will also get you a direct current without splicing, and im not 100% sure if I can even dim mine and the only reason it looks so bright is because the red is a brighter and more aggressive color, my friend had the same brand lights but blue and the brightness didn't even compare because blue is so mellow.
NOOOOOOOOO.

Tuner whats funny the switch or the grill lights, yes isn't an answer to a mulitiple choice question.
It is when both are.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:31 PM

I installed this kit today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pc-7-COLOR-...item415446c46c

Only $35, but a friend of mine has had this same kit for years with no problems. Install is a snap. I used a quicksplice to tap into the power wire behind the cigarette lighter instead of going behind the fuse panel (the kit comes with an inline fuse along the power wire). I mounted the controller box to the left of the shifter (by the driver's knee) and tucked all the wires along the inside of the center console.

With it wired like this, the lights will come on whenever you turn the key to ACC or ON, but will not come on at all if you switch them off on the controller box. Hopefully this is helpful to the OP.

Here are some pics. Green is one of the brightest colors, the rest are mellower.

Name:  003-1.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  23.8 KB

Name:  002-2.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  18.4 KB
Old 07-06-2012, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
NOOOOOOOOO.

It is when both are.
well when you do something the easy way its ghetto, and whats wrong with the grill lights? I actually get lots of compliments on them. I understand the switch.

Last edited by zsolt117; 07-07-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by CWolfSE
How do you get the passenger LEDs to have the same setup as the driver LEDs . No wires on passenger side
The wire from the passenger side led runs through the big gap behind the center console and splices in with the driver side led wire which then goes to the switch.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 02pearlmax
I installed this kit today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pc-7-COLOR-...item415446c46c

Only $35, but a friend of mine has had this same kit for years with no problems. Install is a snap. I used a quicksplice to tap into the power wire behind the cigarette lighter instead of going behind the fuse panel (the kit comes with an inline fuse along the power wire). I mounted the controller box to the left of the shifter (by the driver's knee) and tucked all the wires along the inside of the center console.

With it wired like this, the lights will come on whenever you turn the key to ACC or ON, but will not come on at all if you switch them off on the controller box. Hopefully this is helpful to the OP.

Here are some pics. Green is one of the brightest colors, the rest are mellower.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. You gave All I needed in one post
Old 07-07-2012, 10:35 AM

The wire from the passenger side led runs through the big gap behind the center console and splices in with the driver side led wire which then goes to the switch.
sweet thank you as well :-)
Old 07-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Banned

Tuner i think we need to teach these guys about real led lighting!
Old 07-07-2012, 11:27 AM

well I when you do something the easy way its ghetto
What?

whats wrong with the grill lights? I actually get lots of compliments on them. I understand the switch.
Really?

1. Illegal
2. Fastnfurious
3. Rice
4. Flashy 4 door family car with no supporting modifications to justify it

That's worse than underglow lighting. But whatever, it's your car man, do you.

A little tip though, most of the time when you get compliments about stuff like that, it's people actually mocking you. Not sincerely complimenting you.
IJS.

Originally Posted by cjandura
Tuner i think we need to teach these guys about real led lighting!
smh dude. But you have to start somewhere, and hopefully this just where they're starting.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 07-07-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:29 AM

IS that your NAAAASSSSSSSS button?
HAHAHAHA what a terrible movie...
Old 07-07-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by djshwini
HAHAHAHA what a terrible movie...
hahaha such a funny GIF:eek5:
Old 07-07-2012, 04:47 PM

Has anyone thought of putting an LED strip under the door? So it light up the ground when you open it up
Old 07-07-2012, 06:23 PM

What?

Really?

1. Illegal
2. Fastnfurious
3. Rice
4. Flashy 4 door family car with no supporting modifications to justify it

That's worse than underglow lighting. But whatever, it's your car man, do you.

A little tip though, most of the time when you get compliments about stuff like that, it's people actually mocking you. Not sincerely complimenting you.
IJS.

smh dude. But you have to start somewhere, and hopefully this just where they're starting.
Sorry spell check on my phone was being stupid.

1. Not illegal in the state of tennessee
2.have never seen grill lights in fast and furious.
3. Doesn't really fit the definition or "RICE" not really trying to make a slow car look fast.
4. How do you know I don't have any mods to justify it?
5. How is that worse than underglow!!!??? underglows definition is rice.
6.Iv installed the grill lights on about 6 different cars and trucks ranging from red like mine to rasta colors.
7.And your right it is my car I will do what I want, you have a blue theme I have a red theme. I wanted to do something unique and I did, Audi has leds in the headlights, Porsche has leds in the grill/side facing out, why cant I have red leds facing up inside the engine compartment?

But I will 100% agree with you that the switch is used is rice,ghetto or whatever you wish to call it, I did it as a joke between my friends and I, a switch is 10$ at most I can swap it whenever.

Last edited by zsolt117; 07-07-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:30 PM

Has anyone thought of putting an LED strip under the door? So it light up the ground when you open it up
I thought about it, I haven't really checked to see if a strip would fit, when the door is closed, but I figure it wouldn't be to difficult to make a small hole for the wires and splice it into the the door light.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Banned

FFS if your gonna do something do it right.you want puddle lights put them in the mirrors like oe or get 2010 maxima undercar lights the oe ones for $24 and mod them to fit.it also doesnt look like anyone here really knows how to wire anything up in their car.you dont need big gaudy switches get a damn oe switch from the yard and use it or use a existing lighting switch or circuit.also in all 50 states the use of Red and Blue lights is prohibited by Federal Law i have posted this Law in many threads already search you will find it.if you want to learn the basics of quality Led work search for the post by Tuner,Myself and Amerikaner in the 4th and 5th gen sections also OP you are limiting yourself to these rice products from autoparts stores you do t have to once you have a real understanding of how it works just look at Tuners Puddle light thread it was done with some led flood lights i found on clearence at walmart and have outstanding output.so all im saying is this dont confine yourself,search fot people who have done things other then using sticky tape and rice strip lights wired to the ciggy lighter and ask us questions do a quality job first and be happy with it!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:27 PM

I have spoken to law enforcement from 6 different counties and highway patrol and they all said one of two things, 1. as long as the light does not flash. My friend was pulled over for his about four times since they are blue and they all said the same thing as long as they don't flash. 2. As long as its not overly distracting or just stupid like strobing under glow they don't really care. Im not saying they are legal everywhere but 90% of tennessee doesn't care. And I agree if you do something do it right, I know there is no need for the giant switch I have, I did mine as a joke between friends and I, and honestly what is the difference between some leds you got on clearence at walmart and some from autozone, none really lets be honest, im not talking about colored ones just plain old white led and I love what tuner did to his max with the led swap in the door and ac control but im not going to take the time to do that, and yes you can call my lights rice or whatever you want but I did wire and install everything right.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Banned

The clearance leds i got from walmart are usally $45 each they were low voltage flood lights with 3w cree chips in them not these cheap rice isle auto part store products when you learn about this you will understand and see a difference.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Banned

Btw federal law>local law travel out of state and see if it still stands for you.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:11 PM

Btw federal law>local law travel out of state and see if it still stands for you.
I know, as I stated above thats for tennessee or atleast 90% of it, never said other states will be fine with it.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:27 PM

The clearance leds i got from walmart are usally $45 each they were low voltage flood lights with 3w cree chips in them not these cheap rice isle auto part store products when you learn about this you will understand and see a difference.
it doesnt matter if its illegal because the lights will be on the inside of my car, away from the view of someone outside of it. (a police man)

and i have no experience on any vehicles or any parts specific on mine, this is my first car and i came to this site to learn about my maxima and get help if something goes wrong with it. I KNOW, I KNOW it has to be annoying seeing all these new people come on and be stupid with their questions, but we all need to learn and get the same experience as you elders.

as for the lights i have no idea what you would classify as "ricey" everyone has different opinions on that type of stuff. but i think i am going to get these ones along with whitemaxima ^^

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pc-7-COLOR-...ht_3225wt_1139
Old 07-08-2012, 08:40 AM

as for the lights i have no idea what you would classify as "ricey" everyone has different opinions on that type of stuff. but i think i am going to get these ones along with whitemaxima ^^
Thanks. The only thing I don't like is that they're a little too bright. I may wire them to a dimmer at some point. I can take pictures of other colors if you'd like though.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:58 AM
You embarrass me.

Originally Posted by Alias6
Thats really sick dude, do you leave them on while driving? I only have one blue LED pointing in each footwell from under my seats.
I don't. Have them on a switch, so they can be used when useful (passenger looking for something in footwell ... gf + bag) or for show. They are pretty bright, and combined with my door LEDs, people complain about their eyes hurting...

CWolf, I'd stay away from the grille LEDs. One, they look god awful, and two, Mass cops love to profile. I've reduced my car's "attention" because of how many times I've been pulled over. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure it's against federal law with the NHTSA to have any form of Red lighting in the front of your car. Tennessee law doesn't matter at that point.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
I don't. Have them on a switch, so they can be used when useful (passenger looking for something in footwell ... gf + bag) or for show. They are pretty bright, and combined with my door LEDs, people complain about their eyes hurting...

CWolf, I'd stay away from the grille LEDs. One, they look god awful, and two, Mass cops love to profile. I've reduced my car's "attention" because of how many times I've been pulled over. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure it's against federal law with the NHTSA to have any form of Red lighting in the front of your car. Tennessee law doesn't matter at that point.
The picture looks like crap, the look different in person, the light is more spread out in person and it more evenly goes up not just in the middle like in the pic, my mothers 2000$ camera has a issue with blocking stuff out. And no it doesnt matter if its there as long as it doesn't flash, or project out like red fog lights,its the flashing that they care about. Thats not all states but I know its tennessee for a fact.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:18 PM

Federal law does not allow a red light to be visible on the front of a car - PERIOD. Does not matter if the light is solid or blinking, it is not allowed. If a state accepts federal highway funds, then it must follow federal law. If the state chooses to not enforce the law, then have fun.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:34 PM

Thanks. The only thing I don't like is that they're a little too bright. I may wire them to a dimmer at some point. I can take pictures of other colors if you'd like though.
if you don't mind could i see the blue?... cause that is most likely the only color ill be using. and maybe purple if im with my girl.. also maybe you could post a picture of the control box cause on the eBay page you cant really see it. that would be greatly appreciated, thank you

AND FOR EVERYONE ELSE READING. I am not interested in any other SPOT/PLACE to put LEDs besides my foot wells and under my door (no not flood lights, i said under the door; not mirror). Some guy just posted a picture with his led grille to show us, so we need to let that go now
Old 07-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

http://forums.maxima.org/album.php?a...ictureid=33614

http://forums.maxima.org/album.php?a...ictureid=33613

http://forums.maxima.org/album.php?a...ictureid=33612

I bought the tubes (not the strips) from LED Glow on eBay, and put them on my seats instead of under the dash.

I have it hooked up to the cigarette lighter, which still works as well. It came with four tubes, two were cut off because I didn't need them (keeping them as spares).

The tubes also came with a box where I can turn the lights on and off whenever I wish (the lights automatically turn on when the car is on, not just the headlights), it also changes the color of the LEDs for me, and I can adjust the speed of the "flash" on the lights.

Hope this helped!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Banned

If your going to do the underdoor thing may i suggest picking up a roll of 5050 waterproof led strip off amazon you can tap the door switch power to light them up
Old 07-08-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Federal law does not allow a red light to be visible on the front of a car - PERIOD. Does not matter if the light is solid or blinking, it is not allowed. If a state accepts federal highway funds, then it must follow federal law. If the state chooses to not enforce the law, then have fun.
Well like I said tennessee cops told me as long as its not flashing so im going to go by that, and yes a may be a federal law but I guess tn doesn't care. So lets say this, IF YOUR GOING TO DO IT CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT. cool now lets not start another thread about light laws.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:54 PM

if you don't mind could i see the blue?... cause that is most likely the only color ill be using. and maybe purple if im with my girl.. also maybe you could post a picture of the control box cause on the eBay page you cant really see it. that would be greatly appreciated, thank you

AND FOR EVERYONE ELSE READING. I am not interested in any other SPOT/PLACE to put LEDs besides my foot wells and under my door (no not flood lights, i said under the door; not mirror). Some guy just posted a picture with his led grille to show us, so we need to let that go now
Thank you
Old 07-08-2012, 03:14 PM

sorry about the seperate posts had some difficulties, but the first one are the led strips and
the pic above is the switch I used.
HOLY CRAP!!! Isnt that the button the military use to arm the Nuclear weapons in the United States?????

One goes to ground.

One goes to the rocker switch.

Then you feed power to the other side of the rocker switch.
I wired mine to a nice circular rocker switch that has a little red light that turns on when you flip it.........

I was so excited they actually worked....its such a good feeling when things come together.....

Old 07-08-2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
HOLY CRAP!!! Isnt that the button the military use to arm the Nuclear weapons in the United States?????
HAHAHA! no I did it as a temporary switch and to mess with my freinds and quote men in black, never touch the red button, I plan on swapping it out at some point but that one was for shiggles.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:08 AM

Here's the blue.

Name:  002-3.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  12.3 KB

And the controls.

Name:  006-1.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  005-2.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  39.6 KB
Old 07-09-2012, 07:06 AM

Nice setup....I like that blue!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:37 AM

2.have never seen grill lights in fast and furious.
Well, that only tells me that the impossible has occured, you've managed to do something more ricey/ghay than what would be found in a fast n furious movie

Doesn't really fit the definition or "RICE" not really trying to make a slow car look fast.
Rice is a slang term, loosely, tasteless modifications to a car constitute 'rice'. Don't read too much into it.

4. How do you know I don't have any mods to justify it?
Do you? $100 says you don't.

How is that worse than underglow!!!??? underglows definition is rice.
Iv installed the grill lights on about 6 different cars and trucks ranging from red like mine to rasta colors.
Wait, so because you've done this more than once means it's not horrible?
That's a great argument.

And let's get this straight, you think underglow is ricey, but you think this isn't? That amuses me.

And your right it is my car I will do what I want, you have a blue theme I have a red theme. I wanted to do something unique and I did, Audi has leds in the headlights, Porsche has leds in the grill/side facing out, why cant I have red leds facing up inside the engine compartment?
Because even on those car's it looks tacky. At least on those cars it's done tastefully to some extent with high quality parts and even light distribution.
And no factory cars I know of have ricer lights lighting behind the grill. Especially not lighting up ugly rusty factory rad/condensor and mounts.

But I will 100% agree with you that the switch is used is rice,ghetto or whatever you wish to call it, I did it as a joke between my friends and I, a switch is 10$ at most I can swap it whenever.
So let me understand this. You know it looks aweful, but it's ok because you CAN change it.

But you haven't.

Further, you post it online to show the OP of this thread how 'its done'.

Originally Posted by DennisMik
^^This.

Just because the cops aren't enforcing it doesn't make it legal. It's great for you that they don't care. That's officer discretion. But that doesn't mean it's legal. go nuts, but keep that in mind. Saying to a judge while trying ot fight a ticket "well this one officer said it didn't matter unelss it flashed" isn't going to hold up to black and white law.

Originally Posted by CWolfSE;8536637

[url
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pc-7-COLOR-LED-INTERIOR-KIT-FOOT-WELL-NEON-LIGHTS-/280586798188?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &vxp=mtr&hash=item415446c46c#ht_3225wt_1139[/url]
This looks like a decent pick, go with it!!

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
LMAO at the video "whaaaattt,, yeah!! " nice work dude.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 AM

Thanks ranmas. I just gotta find a better way to mount these things. The summer heat inside my car when it sits in the sun makes the 3M tape not so sticky.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:21 AM

Here's the blue.

exactly what i wanted, THANK YOU. This looks like what i was picturing in my head when i made this thread.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:25 AM

Thanks ranmas. I just gotta find a better way to mount these things. The summer heat inside my car when it sits in the sun makes the 3M tape not so sticky.
I used a little of that superglue with the brush and put it on a few spots of the back of the strip with the 3M tape. the first time I installed these were in my truck and did not use glue and it would get hot and they would peel off and fall on your feet while driving or be on the floor when you open the door. So I put a little super glue on the 2 ends and then a couple of little dabs in the middle.....and its been in there for 2 years now. DONT GLUE THE WHOLE STRIP, thats overkill, a few small dabs will hold it in place. Also make sure you get the ends so they dont peel down.

Last edited by ranmas2004; 07-09-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: LED Footwells