5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sliding in the Snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 07:32 PM

Sliding in the Snow

I live in the north east and was out driving tonight. I realized how much I need new tires as my car kept sliding. I have the P225/50-17 stock tires on now with 19,500 miles on the car. I need to buy a new set of tires for the car and was wondering if anyone could recommend a set of tires for the winter. Does anyone know if Kuhmos are good in the snow? I've heard how they have good performance on dry/wet ground. I don't want to spend $200.00 for each tire though considering I want to replace all 4 tires.

2000 Maxima SE Sterling Mist
Old 01-06-2002, 09:12 PM

Re: Sliding in the Snow

Originally posted by bad2rock
I live in the north east and was out driving tonight. I realized how much I need new tires as my car kept sliding. I have the P225/50-17 stock tires on now with 19,500 miles on the car. I need to buy a new set of tires for the car and was wondering if anyone could recommend a set of tires for the winter. Does anyone know if Kuhmos are good in the snow? I've heard how they have good performance on dry/wet ground. I don't want to spend $200.00 for each tire though considering I want to replace all 4 tires.

Haha, isn't it fun. I've got 42000+ miles on my stock Potenza's, and the way I drive, I pretty much have racing slicks left of the tread. When we got our first snowfall here in MN, I started driving tried to steer and then...->->

I'm currently looking into Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.
Old 01-06-2002, 09:38 PM

Re: Re: Sliding in the Snow

Originally posted by Spartan5

Haha, isn't it fun. I've got 42000+ miles on my stock Potenza's, and the way I drive, I pretty much have racing slicks left of the tread. When we got our first snowfall here in MN, I started driving tried to steer and then...->->

I'm currently looking into Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

That's horrible... the stock potenzas sucked stick when they were new!!! in the rain!!!

you are talking about 42000+ miles, and snow! I bet your drifting without the ebrake!

-Tom Z.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:42 AM

P225/50-17 has a very limited tire selection. Not many tire
manufacturers carry them. Kumhos only have P225/45-17

http://www.kumhotireusa.com/pdf_files/712back.pdf
Old 01-07-2002, 08:16 AM

Kumhos are summer only tires. They will perform even worse than your Potenzas in the snow. You should look into getting a set of steel rims and snow tires. If you have an 01 or earlier you can get 15" steel rims. If you have an 02 you'll need 16" steel rims.

Stereodude
Old 01-08-2002, 05:10 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. Maybe I'll wait to get the kuhmos until the summer and pick up a set of $now tire$ for now. I guess I only really need a set for the front.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:21 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. Maybe I'll wait to get the kuhmos until the summer and pick up a set of $now tire$ for now. I guess I only really need a set for the front.
That is not recommended. They really say you should have 4 snow tires on your car instead of just two.

Stereodude
Old 01-08-2002, 07:54 AM

Re: Re: Sliding in the Snow

Originally posted by Stereodude

Kumhos are summer only tires. They will perform even worse than your Potenzas in the snow. You should look into getting a set of steel rims and snow tires. If you have an 01 or earlier you can get 15" steel rims. If you have an 02 you'll need 16" steel rims.

Stereodude
I couldn't agree more! All Season tires are a compromise in all areas to give you a broader range of surface condition traction. Not really good at any of them, but at least All Season tires have some good wet and some good dry handeling characteristics. However, nothing but a snow tire will help in snow/ice ... others may do OK, or maybe even well, but none will impress you. So, I agree with Stereodude ... if you live in a cold climate that sees snow in the winter often, get yourself 2 sets of tires ... summer and winter. As for which, I tend to look heavily at the tirerack.com survey results.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:01 AM

Yokohama AVs Db's....these are supposed to be among the best all season tires around. They're really quiet, too (supposedly). I've never had them, never been in a car that had them, but they get good reviews by owners at Tirerack.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:44 AM

Hi,

NEVER use only 2 winter tires on a FWD. You'll regret it. Better have 4 average tires installed than 2 super tires installed.

On anything other than dry pavement, handling will detoriate very badly. (And I know want I'm talking about !!!).
Old 01-08-2002, 04:41 PM

If you live in an area where you have snow/rain/ice for a couple of months a year, I would recommend snow tires on steel rims all the way around. I have Michelin Arctic Alpins on 15" steel rims from TireRack.com. They cost me around $500 but make a huge difference. I usually have them put on the car before the first potential snow storm. Last winter, my parking lot was an ice rink. I put the Max in 2nd gear and took off like it was all wheel drive. I was amazed. The steel wheels are fugly but can be cleverly concealed by a good set of ghetto chrome hubcaps. The tires are also excellent in heavy rain. I think just about anything is better than the stock Potenzas.
Old 01-08-2002, 04:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bought 4 rims & 4 Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-01 tires specifically for the winter. Let me tell you all.....these tires are the best on ice stopping & handling....also good in snow. I know b/c I tested them
Old 01-23-2002, 07:07 AM
Larrfry

I'd also recommend four snows on steel wheels. The hottest setup are the Nokian brand (made in Finland), their most aggressive model is the "Hap 1" , studded. I have used these for years and, in fact, four are on there way to me right now on steel rims. I order from G & G Service, (262) 628-1716. Friendly, fast, reliable. Nokians are perferred by most rally racers in the snow and there is almost a cult following for these tires. Cost me $718 shipped for these tires, studded, mounted and balanced on nice steel rims. These will last five seasons or more. The so-call studless snow tires tend to wear rapidly, although, Nokian has just come out with their version of a studless tire and it may even last, according to Europeon reviews - but I went with old reliable - the Nokian "Hap 1". By the way the Nokian was formally called the Nokia.

With these mounted, you can go places a four wheel drive (without STUDDED tires) couldn't dream of going.