5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Frankencar intake thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 02:57 PM

Frankencar intake thoughts

Amazing. All I can say is good job Steve. The sound is wonderful and I love the fact that it is dead silent until full throttle is applied, helps me keep the sleeper image . No instructions were included but unless you're an idiot they aren't needed. It took me maybe 20 to 30 minutes to install in my driveway.

There is one bad side though. About 7 secs after leaving my driveway to test it out I ****ing got a speeding ticket. So this inatke actually just cost me over $300 . My first ticket ever too.
Old 01-22-2002, 03:28 PM

Re: Frankencar intake thoughts

The officer probably saw you installing it and was just sitting there waiting for you.

Originally posted by Fazal
There is one bad side though. About 7 secs after leaving my driveway to test it out I ****ing got a speeding ticket. So this inatke actually just cost me over $300 . My first ticket ever too.
Oh, and let me add this too: If it took you 7 seconds to break the speed limit you must be as slow as I am!
Old 01-22-2002, 04:05 PM

Actually I was clocked at 82 so those 7 or so seconds weren't slow by any means .
Old 01-22-2002, 04:27 PM

Is the Franken intake CARB approved?

The Stillen POP intake is CARB approved in all 50 states.
Old 01-22-2002, 04:36 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Is the Franken intake CARB approved?

Originally posted by jkratzer
Are you planning a move to the west coast...otherwise, being of the Cincy area, I would not worry about it. You just get the lovely E-check to deal with.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:13 PM

STEVE WHERE IS MINE!!!! OREDERED THE SAME DAY AS FAZAL!!!! I NEED IT!!! HA it should be here tomorrow!!!!

will
Old 01-22-2002, 11:01 PM

Re: Is the Franken intake CARB approved?

Originally posted by jkratzer
yeah...i was wondering about this too. Stillen pop comes with an sticker with the CARB approved numbers, i had to give that to the shop inorder to pass the visual smog check. Any info on this dmb?
Old 01-23-2002, 05:08 AM

Fazal, I am glad you like your new intake . Yeah... well... at least you lived up to our quote:

"...beacause the only price you should have to pay for speeding is the ticket..."

EMail me or Steve with any questions and we will do our best to serve you.

Have Fun!

- matt
Old 01-23-2002, 07:36 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I doubt Steve is willing to test his intake for CARB approval. I think getting CARB approval costs thousands of dollars and a good amount of time.

Does the Franken intake really sound that different from any other POP on the market without a resonator? Could it possibly be that the 2k2 just has a different sound because of the larger displacement, different cams, different style variable intake, etc? I looked over Steve's intake and it's just intake pipe with a filter and no resonator. Am I missing something? All the intakes I've heard on the 4th/5th gens are quiet until you step on the gas and the rpms get up to around 3000rpms. From 4500rpms on, the sound is very loud.

Dave
Old 01-23-2002, 07:51 AM

instructions

what's up with no install instructions?? i guess i'm an idiot ... how am I supposed to install this biatch?!

+So I gotta take off the intake when i go in for emissions??
Old 01-23-2002, 07:55 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Dave B
I doubt Steve is willing to test his intake for CARB approval. I think getting CARB approval costs thousands of dollars and a good amount of time.
I would agreee with this. Question is why was this asked where the individual lives. Its not necessary. Now if you are moving to a state where it is, I would see why. Starting off a new company, this is a big request.

Does the Franken intake really sound that different from any other POP on the market without a resonator? Could it possibly be that the 2k2 just has a different sound because of the larger displacement, different cams, different style variable intake, etc? I looked over Steve's intake and it's just intake pipe with a filter and no resonator. Am I missing something? All the intakes I've heard on the 4th/5th gens are quiet until you step on the gas and the rpms get up to around 3000rpms. From 4500rpms on, the sound is very loud.

Dave
I agree with the different sound being related to the basically different motor. I am awaiting the 2k1 dyno to see how it works number wise there. I have ordered one for a couple reasons.

1) I will not give money to Stealin in any way. 300% markup? Not with my money.
2) I help a fellow Max'er get his company started (as long as the service is good )
3) I want the stealthy approach. I don't want it roaring all the time or my testosterone level will be peaked all the time and gas mileage will suffer as well as the driving record (tickets and such. I have no self control when a "contest" is available). I like being sneaky on the silly hon-duhs.
4) I don't want to cut a hole in my fender quite yet. Plus there has been so many pro/cons to both types of filters setups, this one allows me to go to stock easier for warranty work. I like the idea of PRCAI, but a hole in the fender....not yet. Still to new to be doing that.