5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What to do with the paint coming off my trunk lid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 04:38 PM

What to do with the paint coming off my trunk lid?

Just wanted to hear some opinions. My car has a spot on the top of the trunk lid, near the rear, about 12"x4" where the paint is basically coming completely off. The rest of the car's paint is fine. I figure I have a few options, 1) Do nothing, 2) Get a cheap paint job on the trunk, 3) Sand, primer, and paint the spot myself. I was leaning towards #3. I mainly just want to paint over it to prevent it from spreading and make it less obvious. I dont care much if you can tell, it'll look better then peeling paint. #3 is about $50. I figure a cheap paint job on the trunk would be at least 200. Not sure what will happen if I do nothing.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by DavefromCA
Just wanted to hear some opinions. My car has a spot on the top of the trunk lid, near the rear, about 12"x4" where the paint is basically coming completely off. The rest of the car's paint is fine. I figure I have a few options, 1) Do nothing, 2) Get a cheap paint job on the trunk, 3) Sand, primer, and paint the spot myself. I was leaning towards #3. I mainly just want to paint over it to prevent it from spreading and make it less obvious. I dont care much if you can tell, it'll look better then peeling paint. #3 is about $50. I figure a cheap paint job on the trunk would be at least 200. Not sure what will happen if I do nothing.
Don't halfazz it, it will look like ****. Unless you know how to paint match, mix, spray, clear, and wetsand, don't do it. A good body shop using good paint can make it look like it never happened for $200-300 dollars.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by DavefromCA

i Painted alot of spots on my car , never done it before and looks perfect. get ur paint code, go to a auto body supply. tell them to make u a spray can of ur paint and a clear coat. any spray primer will be good enough .itl cost u about 50 bucks, if its 3 stage with a pearl itl be about 80. sand it down, start with 350 or so and work ur way up to 600. just sand enough to where its completly smooth. dont go to bare metal. make it sure its clean . tape around the area. prime it to where the tape starts. take the tape off and sand the marks with about 2000 grit . dont tape around the spot when u do ur base coat or ul get a line. just blend it in a inch or 2 past the area. the most important things are 1 make sure its clean 2 do it with no wind and 3 make sure its smooth cause after u paint ul see every misperfection. take ur time and itl come out good.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:21 PM

what he said. |
V

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Don't halfazz it, it will look like ****. Unless you know how to paint match, mix, spray, clear, and wetsand, don't do it. A good body shop using good paint can make it look like it never happened for $200-300 dollars.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:30 PM

Just get it done properly. Do you have any idea how crappy a self painted trunk lid will look, without using a paint booth? Just imagine all the dust particles, orange peel, etc. No.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:06 PM

If u were planning on doing it yourself, what u could do on a nice day is take the deck lid off, R+I it yourself, that way your only paying the shop to scuff it down (wost case strip it right down, depending on if its the base and top coat is peeling/flaking) and paint rather then the paint and R+I's im sure that will save you 100 bucks. dont have them mask everything off, because it will start to peel again.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by dared3vil0
Just get it done properly. Do you have any idea how crappy a self painted trunk lid will look, without using a paint booth? Just imagine all the dust particles, orange peel, etc. No.
I've seen what happens when a fly lands on paint, and tries to get loose and leaves tracks going in all directions.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
I've seen what happens when a fly lands on paint, and tries to get loose and leaves tracks going in all directions.
That too. And the dust particles would make the paint look like the surface of the moon.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 PM

You'll never learn if you don't try it. If pro paint shop is place that kid earns money for college then surely you can do. The difference may be tools and techniques.

So, I have tried it. It did not match my car orig. paint but it is much much better than the obvious rusted area. Also, exposed sheet metal will turn into rusted hole and it is an eyesore. During the process, I came with these reasonings:

So I think the key steps are simple as:
1. prep the surface
2. pick the paint
3. apply clear gloss

So
1. prep the surface. Keep sanding, sanding, and sanding.

You should not stop until it looks like .... a skin of a teenager . If you use a similar light tool as in the PDR (paintless dent repair - search youtube for that), it will help to tell when the surface is perfectly flat or not.

2. Pick the paint: Most DIY uses rattle can. It comes with fixed nozzle hole, and it is not fine enough. Paint droplets are microscopically as big as an egg, like O OO O OOO. Of couse, ask you to put these eggs together to form a shiny surface is an impossible task. pp says paint thinly, paint 2 -3 coats, wet sand. This is wrong myth too because in this process, you may stack up the eggs, thus build up the abysses and mountains, not the flat surface you desire to have _._.__._._.

So what you should do:
In the second/subsequence coat, change to use very fine nozzle, and use/mix paint with more viscosity, so that it will fill up the gaps and flatten up the surface, thus obtain flatter surface. This also helps you eliminate the yucky wet sanding, IMHO, not neccessary. I accidently oversprayed an area. That area was glossier than other area that I had control the whole time, however, it left an edge like in water spilling.

3. clear coat: I think the thinner the better for gloss. Not all clear coat is the same, transparency and viscosity matter.

So if i have to do all over again, I will prep the surface better, shop for the paint, first matching color and pick one with higher viscosity, and do paint with rattle can in 2 nozzle sizes - if it is not possible. I will extract paint from it - turn the rattle can up-side-down, release all pressure, then cut it and re-use the pre-mixed paint with an air sprayer (for cheap).

Heat and time affects paint's viscosity. Apply paint to hotter metal surface will help spread the paint thin. Old paint loses viscosity.

Well, it is just my thought and reasoning.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by saig
You'll never learn if you don't try it. If pro paint shop is place that kid earns money for college then surely you can do. The difference may be tools and techniques.

So, I have tried it. It did not match my car orig. paint but it is much much better than the obvious rusted area. Also, exposed sheet metal will turn into rusted hole and it is an eyesore. During the process, I came with these reasonings:

So I think the key steps are simple as:
1. prep the surface
2. pick the paint
3. apply clear gloss

So
1. prep the surface. Keep sanding, sanding, and sanding.

You should not stop until it looks like .... a skin of a teenager . If you use a similar light tool as in the PDR (paintless dent repair - search youtube for that), it will help to tell when the surface is perfectly flat or not.

2. Pick the paint: Most DIY uses rattle can. It comes with fixed nozzle hole, and it is not fine enough. Paint droplets are microscopically as big as an egg, like O OO O OOO. Of couse, ask you to put these eggs together to form a shiny surface is an impossible task. pp says paint thinly, paint 2 -3 coats, wet sand. This is wrong myth too because in this process, you may stack up the eggs, thus build up the abysses and mountains, not the flat surface you desire to have _._.__._._.

So what you should do:
In the second/subsequence coat, change to use very fine nozzle, and use/mix paint with more viscosity, so that it will fill up the gaps and flatten up the surface, thus obtain flatter surface. This also helps you eliminate the yucky wet sanding, IMHO, not neccessary. I accidently oversprayed an area. That area was glossier than other area that I had control the whole time, however, it left an edge like in water spilling.

3. clear coat: I think the thinner the better for gloss. Not all clear coat is the same, transparency and viscosity matter.

So if i have to do all over again, I will prep the surface better, shop for the paint, first matching color and pick one with higher viscosity, and do paint with rattle can in 2 nozzle sizes - if it is not possible. I will extract paint from it - turn the rattle can up-side-down, release all pressure, then cut it and re-use the pre-mixed paint with an air sprayer (for cheap).

Heat and time affects paint's viscosity. Apply paint to hotter metal surface will help spread the paint thin. Old paint loses viscosity.

Well, it is just my thought and reasoning.
Go over to his house and show him how to do it.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:17 PM

Well, the op said he needs opinion.

Dupli-color has the rattle can with color guarantee@oreilly auto part, $6.99 per 12 fl. oz, $8.99 clear coat, and a few dollars for sand paper. So budget is $25 + his time.

Come back let us know the result if you decide to do it, ok?
Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 PM

Dupli-color has the rattle can with color guarantee@oreilly auto part, $6.99 per 12 fl. oz, $8.99 clear coat, and a few dollars for sand paper. So budget is $25 + his time.

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...DAVIDD82/3.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture013.jpg

HERES 1 SPOT I PAINTED

FORGET DUPLI COLOR, AND GO TO UR LOCAL AUTO BODY SUPPLY, UL GET THE SAME PAINT THEY WOULD USE IN A CAN. ONLY DIFFERENCE IS U CANT BLEND LIKE A SHOP WOULD. LIKE THAT GUY SAID , PREP IS THE MOST IMPORTANT. SAND IT DOWN WITH 250 OR 350 AND WORK UR WAY UP TO 600 GRIT. 600 WILL MAKE IT REALLY SMOOTH. GET IT AS SMOOTH AS POSSIBLE EVEN IF IT TAKES U A LONG TIME.
DONT LISTEN TO THESE CLOWNS ABOUT DUST OR BUGS GETTING STUCK, EACH COAT U DO WILL DRY WITH IN 5 MIN AND BY ANY CHANCE U DO GET ANYTHING ON THE PAINT . LET IT DRY FOR ABOUT 30 MIN AND HIT IT WITH 2000 GRIT. ITL COME RITE OFF.

Last edited by heyhi; 07-23-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 PM

****s garbage, leave to the pros, take the thing off, its only 4 10mm bolts really easy take it down have them spray and be done
Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by heyhi
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...DAVIDD82/3.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture013.jpg

HERES 1 SPOT I PAINTED

FORGET DUPLI COLOR, AND GO TO UR LOCAL AUTO BODY SUPPLY, UL GET THE SAME PAINT THEY WOULD USE IN A CAN. ONLY DIFFERENCE IS U CANT BLEND LIKE A SHOP WOULD. LIKE THAT GUY SAID , PREP IS THE MOST IMPORTANT. SAND IT DOWN WITH 250 OR 350 AND WORK UR WAY UP TO 600 GRIT. 600 WILL MAKE IT REALLY SMOOTH. GET IT AS SMOOTH AS POSSIBLE EVEN IF IT TAKES U A LONG TIME.
DONT LISTEN TO THESE CLOWNS ABOUT DUST OR BUGS GETTING STUCK, EACH COAT U DO WILL DRY WITH IN 5 MIN AND BY ANY CHANCE U DO GET ANYTHING ON THE PAINT . LET IT DRY FOR ABOUT 30 MIN AND HIT IT WITH 2000 GRIT. ITL COME RITE OFF.
thats true, but i still dont spray cars out side, to much overspray , and its not voc compliant to spray outside, then u will have osha and the epa after ya, but then again i work 70+ hours a week in a paint shop, so i kinda have to follow the rules