5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Exey Clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 09:49 AM

Exey Clutch question

I purchased and had an Exedy OEM clutch installed a couple months back.

I babied the car for 2 months until I hit 1500 miles(not even going over 3k RPM). Well I have since discovered that the gears are not catching under hard acceleration. The tach will climb but the gears are just not catching- resulting in lackluster(no) quick acceleration. My car ran great before(I replaced the clutch in hopes of eliminating a slight chatter from the trans area- which is still there)

Now here's the pickle...
The flywheel was resurfaced but I am sure it was not shimmed(or shimmed correctly) so the plates are not making full contact. So I am just going to purchase a new Nissan OEM flywheel.

Now my questions are-
Did the resurfaced flywheel cause the gears not to hook up? I know the Exedy OEM is sprung, but from my understanding, that should only cause a softer clutch pedal. Am i correct?

And the Exedy should work fine with a Nissan OEM flywheel correct?

All help is appreciated.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
I babied the car for 2 months until I hit 1500 miles(not even going over 3k RPM). Well I have since discovered that the gears are not catching under hard acceleration. The tach will climb but the gears are just not catching- resulting in lackluster(no) quick acceleration. My car ran great before(I replaced the clutch in hopes of eliminating a slight chatter from the trans area- which is still there)
Hey dude, crappy to hear about the issues. And MAN 1500 is a long wait eh!?!?!? I just went through this too, was so happy to get on it finally.
I can't recall what kind of power you have, please chime in with that. Actual torque/hp numbers will help. But if you're not boosted I can't see the problem being too much power for the Exedy OEM clutch.

And you say you RESURFACED the Stock Dual Mass flywheel, correct? Do you have the specs from this?

Anyways, I'll try to help with some info I know and what you've said so far.

What you're describing sounds like a smoked/burnt clutch.
It is possible that this clutch isn't fully engaging the flywheel properly, and that's causing it to have a much lower torque handling capability, causing it to slip easy as pie.

this would MOST LIKELY be caused by a crap flywheel in your circumstance.

What you'll want to hope for, is that you've caught this early enough to save the clutch disc, but if that flywheel is out bad enough that your clutch is pretty much wiped at stock torque levels under acceleration, then you're probably looking at a new clutch again with the replacement Flywheel.

Silver lining (maybe): You paid someone to do this job. you have the awesome oppourtunity to just take it back and tell them exactly what's happeneing. I don't know the circumstances of the flywheel and who did what, or who approved what, but if the shop did all of this then they're liable for all of it. That means new clutch at the minimum and free labour.

the flywheel just get a Fidanza/JWT (JWT IS a Fidanza but prices are comparable or sometimes even cheaper to get it through JWT)
Getting an OEM Dual Mass flywheel will probably run you anywhere from $900-2500. Those things are RIDICULOUSLY expensive.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:57 AM

Did the resurfaced flywheel cause the gears not to hook up? I know the Exedy OEM is sprung, but from my understanding, that should only cause a softer clutch pedal. Am i correct?
"Sprung clutch" just refers to the Hub (center) of the friction disc piece. You have the outer ring which is your friction surface, then a center hub with steel or whatever joining the hub (splined) to the friction ring. Well a sprung Clutch has damper springs in between the center spline and the friction disc. These are positioned in parallel with the friction surface (around in a circle) at a few points in the unit, normally 4 of them.

What this does is soften engagement, smooth transitions, 'soak' up clutch chatter, etc.
This will not change the pedal feel in regard to firmness really. Just makes everything much smoother, takes some of the shock out of engagement.

Guys run Unsprung clutches in race/high hp applications because those springs have been known to break under extreme conditions.

EDIT:
Dug up a good picture of one vs. the other for you:

And the Exedy should work fine with a Nissan OEM flywheel correct?
Yes.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just installed an Exedy OEM kit on my 02 with stock flywheel. No issues at all with the clutch- Exedy is an OEM supplier, and in fact the included throwout bearing was identical (NTN and p/n) to the Nissan part I also purchased (and returned). I'm confused by your statement regarding the Exedy being sprung- did you install a Maxima OEM kit (NSK1002) ? That Maxima disc is solid,not sprung, the dual mass flywheel is the sprung element. Next question- who did the installation, and was the pressure plate correctly torqued? If not it could easily explain the slipping. It seems many machine shops won't resurface our stock dual mass flywheels because getting it right isn't a given, so it's also possible that's the issue with yours.
edit-lost connection when I first tried to reply, sorry for the redundancy

Last edited by StevieB; 08-03-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:26 PM

I am thinking it is the fact that they didn't shim the resurfaced flywheel so i am not getting full crisp contact between allowing the clutch/ gears to slip/not engage. Does that sound about right?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:38 PM
^ Jeff™

^ Yes that sounds right...or they didn't resurface the flywheel well/within spec.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:40 PM

I am thinking it is the fact that they didn't shim the resurfaced flywheel so i am not getting full crisp contact between allowing the clutch/ gears to slip/not engage. Does that sound about right?
there is no need for shims. If you need shims the flywheel is ground beyond repair, and is completely junk.

There's a spec for grinding flywheels, but I doubt you'd find one that is specific to the DM flywheel because you're not really SUPPOSED to grind them.

either way, it won't be more than .030 that's been taken off, there's no need for shims or anything, the IP shaft of the tranny is plenty long enough, and the clutch hydraulics will work fine.

this does sound like a crap flywheel, yes, but you're probably into a clutch at this point. Only way to know for sure is to take it out and do a proper inspection, depth gauge across, etc.