5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012 | 09:36 PM

alternator?

Ok here is the cunundrum. Driving on the freeway when my 03 max felt like it was struggling to shift. Got off freeway right away and heaed home. On the way, I felt it hesitating, moderately at first then progressively got worse until finaly it stalled. Got it started and went about 15ft before stalling again repeating this but the distance got shorter each time till it would not stay started. Luckily I made it home and pushed it into the drive way. Here is the thing, as it sat there for five or so minutes, it started right up but as it idled, it slowly died out. I thought it could be my transmission at first, but since it does not start even in neutral. I'm now thinking it could be the alternator because when I try and starte it up, my dome light dims. I am unsure however because my voltage indicator is not coming on. Any thoughts?? Btw,Automatic transmission

Last edited by alowoner; 08-08-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2012 | 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by alowoner
Ok here is the cunundrum. Driving on the freeway when my 03 max felt like it was struggling to shift. Got off freeway right away and heaed home. On the way, I felt it hesitating, moderately at first then progressively got worse until finaly it stalled. Got it started and went about 15ft before stalling again repeating this but the distance got shorter each time till it would not stay started. Luckily I made it home and pushed it into the drive way. Here is the thing, as it sat there for five or so minutes, it started right up but as it idled, it slowly died out. I thought it could be my transmission at first, but since it does not start even in neutral. I'm now thinking it could be the alternator because when I try and starte it up, my dome light dims. I am unsure however because my voltage indicator is not coming on. Any thoughts?? Btw,Automatic transmission
Sounds like alternator and you probably can confirm it by measuring battery voltage with multimeter.
Old 08-08-2012 | 10:31 PM

so, i measured the voltage. my battery is 12.2 but dops to 11 when i crank it. if the alternator was good then the voltage should jump to 13 or 14 correct?

Last edited by alowoner; 08-08-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2012 | 11:08 PM

so, i measured the voltage. my battery is 12.2 but dops to 11 when i crank it. if the alternator was good then the voltage should jump to 13 or 14 correct?
Your battery is practically discharged and yes, alternator is not charging it. If its wires, connector are fine I'd advise to replace it.

BTW, try to charge your battery from 'wall charger' otherwise you can damage it trying to start the engine when it is almost empty.
Old 08-09-2012 | 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Max_5gen
Your battery is practically discharged and yes, alternator is not charging it. If its wires, connector are fine I'd advise to replace it.

BTW, try to charge your battery from 'wall charger' otherwise you can damage it trying to start the engine when it is almost empty.

Definetely the alt. charge your battery, go to
Auto Zone and get them to check your battery, alternator and starter.

I work for Auto Zone. Buy a Duralast Gold alternator. The Gold series are new and not re-built, also with a lifetime warranty.
Old 08-09-2012 | 09:50 PM

so i put a charge on my battery and went to start the car up to test the voltage while running. just to be sure it is in fact the alternator. well, it didnt start. just turns and turns. now im baffled. am i right to assume it should start with a fully charged bat? what would be the next diagnosis, besides fuel pump, i know that is working.
Old 08-09-2012 | 10:13 PM

so i put a charge on my battery and went to start the car up to test the voltage while running. just to be sure it is in fact the alternator. well, it didnt start. just turns and turns. now im baffled. am i right to assume it should start with a fully charged bat? what would be the next diagnosis, besides fuel pump, i know that is working.
Aren't you lucky? You're right in your assumption but I'd still check the voltage.

Well, at this point I'd just do usual troubleshooting: check the battery voltage while cranking, check if you have fuel left in the tank, check if you can see SES light on dashboard in ON and ACC positions, read the codes with scanner, check the fuses.
Old 08-09-2012 | 11:19 PM

is it a possibility that i could have flooded my plugs trying to start it while there was not enough voltage to ignite the fuel?
Old 08-09-2012 | 11:27 PM

is it a possibility that i could have flooded my plugs trying to start it while there was not enough voltage to ignite the fuel?
No.

Your car has drive-by-wire throttle meaning no matter how hard you press on the gas ECU will open throttle just as much as needed based on what it sees from sensors. ECU also controls injectors so it won't open them too much to flood the engine.

The voltage on the plugs is few thousands of volts, don't worry about it .
Old 08-10-2012 | 12:02 AM

ok, thats good to know. i checked all my fuses and they are all good. im getting a feeling that coils have bit the dust. its just the way that it stalled then started then died completly would not seemto be the alternator. its about time i change my upper intake manifold gasket and rebuild my throttle body anyway . well i better get some rest. i will keep you posted. thanks for your expertise
Old 08-10-2012 | 12:17 AM

ok, thats good to know. i checked all my fuses and they are all good. im getting a feeling that coils have bit the dust. its just the way that it stalled then started then died completly would not seemto be the alternator. its about time i change my upper intake manifold gasket and rebuild my throttle body anyway . well i better get some rest. i will keep you posted. thanks for your expertise
Parts don't commit group suicide . Alternator was suggested based on your description of the slow dying process and dimming lights, not the stalling. I'd look for problem in more ordered fashion and try to fix your current one. If you start modifications on the car which doesn't start and it won't start after you're done then you won't know if you created few more problems along the way or not. TB on this model is a tricky one - just read around here how many people ran into problems while trying to clean it. Strictly my opinion only.
Old 08-10-2012 | 06:19 AM

i am unsure because the car died then started after a few minutes. if i drained the battery initially, why would it start up again? why wont it start with a fully charged one?
Old 08-10-2012 | 07:30 AM

i am unsure because the car died then started after a few minutes. if i drained the battery initially, why would it start up again? why wont it start with a fully charged one?
That's what you need to find out before changing parts or just find good mechanic and let him do it.
Old 08-13-2012 | 12:30 PM

Hello Max, I want to test my fuel pressure, do I put the guage where the green pressure valve is? And should I have pressure when the car key is turned on just to the point when the pump kicks on or does the car need to be running?