5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

leds

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 06:49 PM

leds

Im looking to buy leds for the car. All turn signals ,side markers, reverse, and brake. If im leaving anything out for the exterior lemme know.

The car is a 02 pearl white. The headlight is gonna be cleared and smoked side markers. Im thinking a bright white with some blue in it. What color exactly would that be.

What wattage can I push without melting anything? On ebay theres a million diff brands What brand do u guys recommend?

Last edited by heyhi; 08-23-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 PM
^ Jeff™

Go to superbrightleds.com and enter your car information. Either order from them, they're reputable, or use the bulb type info to order elsewhere.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:56 PM

I got mine from Ebay, came out to something like $0.75 per bulb, I've had them for over 2 yrs now without any problem. See the parking lights below to get an idea of the color, although in person they are slightly less blue.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:04 PM
^ Jeff™

It should go without saying...if you order from Ebay try to find Sellers with a lot of positive feedback. Too easy to find crap.

At least leds are cheap.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 PM

I'm working on all the interior bits. I now have a great guy in the NW who does excellent soldering work to help me in my endeavours. I have the cluster and center console complete. Now I just need the window switches all around, the ashtray light, the dimmer light, and the footwell lights and I'll be LED'ed completely out. BTW, that guy in the NW happens to own a 4th Gen and is a reputable member here. Goes by Amerikaner83.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:26 PM

Id say im pretty experienced with eBay LEDs. After 6 different pairs of white LEDs and many others in different colors/shapes i finally found the right set for my parking lights. If you want to avoid the hassle, wait time, and heart break in exchange for spending a little more $$ you should get them from a reputable site that will tell you the lumens, kelvin color, and output.

If you want white with a little blue that would be around 6k-8K range for LEDs. if you go for a more 4k-5k bulb they will still appear white at night but slightly off-white and more visible during the day.

In reality wattage is the draw of the bulb but many places online advertise it as the brightness. If you look at wattage you will find that different brands have different output:watt and temperature:watt ratings so the advertised wattage isnt very helpful. You shouldnt be melting anything with LED bulbs but if you cram something like a CREE flashlight emitter into a constantly on sidemarker, it might melt the plastic.

If you want your turn signals and brake lights to be LED please do spend the extra money. eBay and cheap sellers will put sub-par leds that look identical to the good stuff but do not perform well enough to be seen during the day. If you are swapping something like your interior lights or sidemarkers it might be worth it to experiment with cheap bulbs or smd boards.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Galactica
I'm working on all the interior bits. I now have a great guy in the NW who does excellent soldering work to help me in my endeavours. I have the cluster and center console complete. Now I just need the window switches all around, the ashtray light, the dimmer light, and the footwell lights and I'll be LED'ed completely out. BTW, that guy in the NW happens to own a 4th Gen and is a reputable member here. Goes by Amerikaner83.

To the OP - regarding your exterior LEDs, you may need to get a load resistor...your car will give you the "bulb out" warning and your Cruise control will not work if you put LEDs in the brake lights without load resistors.

I, too, recommend SuperBrightLEDs.com

Last edited by Amerikaner83; 08-24-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:09 PM

If I use these for the front turn do I need a flasher or anything?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2FWLED-xHP.htm
Old 08-28-2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83

To the OP - regarding your exterior LEDs, you may need to get a load resistor...your car will give you the "bulb out" warning and your Cruise control will not work if you put LEDs in the brake lights without load resistors.

I, too, recommend SuperBrightLEDs.com

This made me LOLOL
Old 08-28-2012, 08:36 PM

I've personally have had great experience with Polarg bulbs, you can get them on ebay. They match the HID's well on a 5.5 gen.