5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Oil in Spark Plug Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
First time for me it took about 4 hours and I did not work for time. All I am saying is most people on here will tell you it will take about XXX time, when in reality, for more people, it will take XXX + 33% to 50% to complete their first time. Unless they really want to rush something...why would they?

I know this from experience when I work on areas the first time and comparing to what people have said on here from how long it takes them or should take.

For example, I recall someone saying the starter takes 15 minutes. Oh really? I suppose that person has no intake, or an SRI intake setup that is not in the way of their starter. They must also have all the tools ready to go and the new starter sitting on top of their engine.

My point...anytime you start new work that you haven't done before multiply the estimates on here by 50% and you won't be pressing yourself for time. Better to overestimate than underestimate and put yourself in a bind if you were hoping to get on the road sooner than later.

It took about 4 hours here as well. Well technically there was about 8 hours of time, but that was divided among going to lunch, a few breaks and going to Autozone 3 times (AZ was a 40 minute round trip each time -__-)
Old 12-11-2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 2damax
^those are all common maxima issues. Fix them and enjoy the ride. I got a passat 6 months ago. Its up for sale. Nuff said.

Well to get back on topic here i got my max back last night and so far the only thing that i could afford was the tune up right now. After driving it i can tell it has ALOT of life in it with 156,000 ish on the clock, the engine feels so strong i was really surprised that it feels the way it does. The shop guys pretty much said the same thing.....keep it, they estimate it may cost about $2,500 but most likely not above $3,000 to fix it all which is not to bad but the thing that really makes me want to keep it is the way the engine feels right now.

Let the project began

The next step will be to take it back to them next weekend so they can do the valve covers which should stop the oil from going into the spark plug tubes (going to use VC's for a 08). If the out the door price isn't too bad i will try to fit in the rear main seal into this job also or wait a few more week then get that done.

Once all the leaks have been stopped i will address the stupid pre-cat that has been throwing codes for 3yrs on & off now. I am aware that i could gut it and put on a 02 sim etc.. but i personally don't want to take that on...if i knew someone that would do it i would but i'm also open to other suggestions on this because the new pre-cat is around $500 just for the part.

Next would be some electrical work, my driver side HID keeps going out for some reason (last time the ballast had water in it) not sure how that happens. The other issue would be to find out why my interior lights dim when i turn on the head lights

Finally all the eye candy

i want to get the leather redone on the steering wheel and give her paint job same color (sunlit sand)

Last edited by boost4age; 12-11-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by boost4age
Well to get back on topic here i got my max back last night and so far the only thing that i could afford was the tune up right now. After driving it i can tell it has ALOT of life in it with 156,000 ish on the clock, the engine feels so strong i was really surprised that it feels the way it does. The shop guys pretty much said the same thing.....keep it, they estimate it may cost about $2,500 but most likely not above $3,000 to fix it all which is not to bad but the thing that really makes me want to keep it is the way the engine feels right now.

Let the project began

The next step will be to take it back to them next weekend so they can do the valve covers which should stop the oil from going into the spark plug tubes (going to use VC's for a 08). If the out the door price isn't too bad i will try to fit in the rear main seal into this job also or wait a few more week then get that done.

Once all the leaks have been stopped i will address the stupid pre-cat that has been throwing codes for 3yrs on & off now. I am aware that i could gut it and put on a 02 sim etc.. but i personally don't want to take that on...if i knew someone that would do it i would but i'm also open to other suggestions on this because the new pre-cat is around $500 just for the part.

Next would be some electrical work, my driver side HID keeps going out for some reason (last time the ballast had water in it) not sure how that happens. The other issue would be to find out why my interior lights dim when i turn on the head lights

Finally all the eye candy

i want to get the leather redone on the steering wheel and give her paint job same color (sunlit sand)
Man you should look for local Maxima owners down there to help you with your car, Tune up, Spark Plugs and a New Air Filter, and maybe some other things how much that run you, and how much you paying for them to do your Valve Covers?

I just ordered my front and rear ones so I change them, some mechanics charge a Arm and a Leg but maybe you got a good one that doesnt kill the pockets....
Old 12-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

The valve covers really are not that hard to do, they just take time. However, if you are bent on having the shop do them then have them replace the intake manifold gaskets (there are two, one where it meets the lower intake manifold and the other where it meets the throttle body). I would also ask them to clean the intake manifold for you in their parts cleaner.

As far as the pre-cat code that may get taken care of when you fix the oil leak. Wait and see on that. If you find you still have the code some time after you have replaced the valve covers then do some research into the O2 sim. From what I understand it is not that difficult.

As far as the lights dimming when you turn on your headlights it sounds like your battery. Get your battery checked, it may be going out or bad altogether.

Something to consider for the future is the car will have more and more miles on it. More things will start breaking, more maintenance will be required. If you have the spare time you should look at spending more of your time learning about the maintenance of the car and doing it yourself. You will save money in the long run unless you are making $250K a year and your time is way more valuable. I'm sure you can find a local Maxima owner willing to spend some time to help you learn.

The engine in these cars are the one thing that will last while everything else starts falling apart.

Last edited by foodmanry; 12-12-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:36 AM

^+1 to all of that. The problems you are having are far from extreme. If you have the time to learn and the money for some tools then I suggest that route. You know it will be done right and you save some money. Either way it sounds like you are keeping the car. Good choice and good luck with th repairs.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
The valve covers really are not that hard to do, they just take time. However, if you are bent on having the shop do them then have them replace the intake manifold gaskets (there are two, one where it meets the lower intake manifold and the other where it meets the throttle body). I would also ask them to clean the intake manifold for you in their parts cleaner.

As far as the pre-cat code that may get taken care of when you fix the oil leak. Wait and see on that. If you find you still have the code some time after you have replaced the valve covers then do some research into the O2 sim. From what I understand it is not that difficult.

As far as the lights dimming when you turn on your headlights it sounds like your battery. Get your battery checked, it may be going out or bad altogether.

Something to consider for the future is the car will have more and more miles on it. More things will start breaking, more maintenance will be required. If you have the spare time you should look at spending more of your time learning about the maintenance of the car and doing it yourself. You will save money in the long run unless you are making $250K a year and your time is way more valuable. I'm sure you can find a local Maxima owner willing to spend some time to help you learn.

The engine in these cars are the one thing that will last while everything else starts falling apart.
I'm not bent on having a shop do it but i just don't know anyone to help do those things here . I have a new battery in so i don't think that causes the dimming, i tried to seek out help in the past but came up empty but it won't hurt to try again i suppose.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by boost4age
I'm not bent on having a shop do it but i just don't know anyone to help do those things here . I have a new battery in so i don't think that causes the dimming, i tried to seek out help in the past but came up empty but it won't hurt to try again i suppose.
Keep searching you'll find someone. I do suggest if there are any local meets in your area attend them, get to know other Maxima or even semi-Maxima related owners. Most of them are willing to lend a helping hand when they can. Community....

To be honest though everything I have learned and troubleshot with my Maxima was on my own with the help from Maxima.org of course. The only time I had help with anything was installing my rear sway bar 10+ years ago. Even then..we installed it upside down and I had to fix it later. Part of the learning process...