5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Weird engine Growling / Knocking at Certain RPMS, Video Attached Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 05:18 PM

I have searched and listened to a few sound clips, but could not find one anywhere close to this issue I am having.

My 2000 Maxima SE makes this weird growling/grinding noise when driving & at certain RPMs.The noise is without a doubt coming from the passenger side of the motor. This noise is not noticable in park. This noise has been there for approx. a month but just within the past few days I have noticed a knocking noise after driving the car, just before shutting it off. This has me clueless as well,because it does not happen every time.

Check engine light is for torque converter solenoid. Could this be the issue??? I would assume it was, but it is on the drivers side, therefore I have no idea.

The sound is almost unnoticeable until after the 1-2 shift, then it gets louder right before and after 2-3, around 2500rpm. When on the highway while holding speed, you can barely hear it.

Please Help!

Video (best I could get tonight)
http://youtu.be/LoLemjgTNn0

Last edited by rjfoste12; 12-05-2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by rjfoste12
I have searched and listened to a few sound clips, but could not find one anywhere close to this issue I am having.

My 2000 Maxima SE makes this weird growling/grinding noise when driving & at certain RPMs.The noise is without a doubt coming from the passenger side of the motor. This noise is not noticable in park. This noise has been there for approx. a month but just within the past few days I have noticed a knocking noise after driving the car, just before shutting it off. This has me clueless as well,because it does not happen every time.

Check engine light is for torque converter solenoid. Could this be the issue??? I would assume it was, but it is on the drivers side, therefore I have no idea.

Please Help!

Video (best I could get tonight)
http://youtu.be/LoLemjgTNn0
Might be your chain. How's the oil level looking?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by maximaboy12
Might be your chain. How's the oil level looking?
changed the oil around 2k miles ago, I check it about every week. Yesterday it was still full and pretty clean. not dark.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 PM

Try changing that torque converter solenoid, since thats what the light is for, and see if it gives you a different code, or fixes it.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 PM

I wouldn't mind doing that if it was even coming from that side of the engine. I know it needs fixed regardless but I don't want to fix a transmission issue if it is the engine etc. I was hoping someone else had this issue before. The only reason I don't want to do that unless I am sure is because if it is the motor or something relatively serious it is going in my garage for the winter and will be coming out with a 3.5 and 5 speed swap. It's normally my dd but I have a beater that will definitely get me through the winter.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:11 PM

any ideas?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same problem

I really wish someone who had this problem would give us an idea of what is causing the sound. I have exactly the same problem. A knocking sound that happens when shifting gears and it persist after changing into 2nd and through 3rd. I have a hunch that it is transmission related but without confirmation I have no idea where to start.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:56 PM

I would check to see if the car running in park can it rev over 2,500 rpms. I would check while you drive it off the line I would check the 0-60 and check the rpms. If it can't pass the 2,500 rpms than you have the maf issue. I am leaning on the tq solnoid, because that does the unlocking and locking on tq converter. It also causes the gears to change weird. I would help out but just PM me.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
I would check to see if the car running in park can it rev over 2,500 rpms. I would check while you drive it off the line I would check the 0-60 and check the rpms. If it can't pass the 2,500 rpms than you have the maf issue. I am leaning on the tq solnoid, because that does the unlocking and locking on tq converter. It also causes the gears to change weird. I would help out but just PM me.
Mine will rev past 2500 and I have had some intermittent shifting issues. Question is, should I just replace the torque converter solenoid or the whole solenoid pack? I believe there are 4?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:20 AM

What were the exact codes thrown?

Pull the codes and post them here.

Do you have the FSM? If not then http://Nicoclub.(com)/FSM Remove the ( ) then copy and paste....

My first thought was maybe the passenger inner axel joint has ripped and the lube/grease has flung itself out. I had a 4th gen that made a simular noise. Turned out to be the inner C/V joint.

If it is the torque conv. solenoid, then replace it. Just because you think its coming from the passenger side doesnt mean that is where the problem is located.

If it looks like more than you can handle (lack of tools,shop,$) maybe just look into a used low mileage trans. The web and JY's are waist deep in 5th gen parts.

Good luck either way.