5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine swap 5.5 / Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:56 AM

Looks like a job well done and full of fun!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:13 PM

The car is up and running with no leaks, but I have a rough idle, almost seems like a misfire. I also have a small rubbing noise that is unknown, any time I let off the gas I hear it and then it goes away when I hit the gas. Maybe this is the new sound I get with NWP spacers just installed? I donno... I'm waiting to see if any codes pop up to figure out any problems.

Are cams off an 07' Maxima and 02' the same? Any curve difference?

New code came up today, PO304. I'm going to swap that coil and clean the injector on bank 4.. Hopefully that solved the problem.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-15-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 AM

When going from an auto trans engine to a manual trans engine, does it require a pilot bushing for the trans input shaft? I could not tell from the pictire, but in manual trans set-ups that I have seen, it requires this bushing.
Just curious.
Randy
Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 AM

I do not think any bushing is required, but maybe the OP will confirm that
Old 01-13-2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by gapboi210
once you start digging into the motor, the little things are what start adding up fast. Seals, head bolts, etc.

I would personally look for the newest, lowest mileage motor i could find and then swap parts over.
+ 5000
Old 01-13-2013, 03:49 PM

from my experience, only RWD vehicles used pilot bushings.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by macantley
from my experience, only RWD vehicles used pilot bushings.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/32202-b...ml?cPath=1956&

It's usually included in the clutch kit.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 PM

I didn't use a pilot bushing, so I believe the answer is no. One didn't come with the clutch either.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am in the same boat. I bought an 03 with 137,000 for $3000 is spot free body had no leaks new clutch control arms axles etc.. Everything looked super tight had tons of power for about 5 days... Seller said consumes a little oil tailpipes cleaned clean nothing when i started or revved? thought this guy must be confused for some rear main leak he can't see or something boy was i wrong. I have owned a 3rd gen and 4th gen both went well over 200k so im thinking i got an awesome buy here. Which i still may have but after random misfire code i changed oil and plugs (ngk of course) and a day later had flashing engine light while accel next thing i know i hear a flangy sort of vibration when i left off the gas i press the gas pedal back down and hear a loud hiss with not enough power to get out of it's way. Know what i am assuming is the worn rings burned so much oil that it clogged my cats? not that my cat clogged and sucked pieces into the motor like i keep hearing. Seems more likely flawwed rings would cause oil burning you dont see through tailpipe cause has 3 cats to go through this destroys the cats and clogs it. Im thinking if i gutted cats car would prob run although i would use quart of oil in 50 miles or less lol. So im swapping motor with another 03 just seemed easier to find in my area and cheaper $1200 with 90k 6 month warranty against (oil burning or knocks incl)
Another $1000 for 18 hour labor ? mechanic says states 15 hour but added few extra in case of rusty bolts etc and considering bank paying might as well have them cover every penny. Now my thought since they wont pay for headers or new cats i could just gut them before installing new engine>?? plz tell me any thoughts and sorry flood S^&^ out of this post....

ps compression test shows 100 in cylinder 4 and 150+ in the rest.. SO iknow motor is about done anyway just wanted any suggestions especially about cats,,

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-15-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM
L36

If running rough check for any codes. After my swap i had a misfire code in cylinder 1 even though i put in new plugs. Apparently brand new plug was bad...
Old 01-15-2013, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 03maxdvt
I am in the same boat. I bought an 03 with 137,000 for $3000 is spot free body had no leaks new clutch control arms axles etc.. Everything looked super tight had tons of power for about 5 days... Seller said consumes a little oil tailpipes cleaned clean nothing when i started or revved? thought this guy must be confused for some rear main leak he can't see or something boy was i wrong. I have owned a 3rd gen and 4th gen both went well over 200k so im thinking i got an awesome buy here. Which i still may have but after random misfire code i changed oil and plugs (ngk of course) and a day later had flashing engine light while accel next thing i know i hear a flangy sort of vibration when i left off the gas i press the gas pedal back down and hear a loud hiss with not enough power to get out of it's way. Know what i am assuming is the worn rings burned so much oil that it clogged my cats? not that my cat clogged and sucked pieces into the motor like i keep hearing. Seems more likely flawwed rings would cause oil burning you dont see through tailpipe cause has 3 cats to go through this destroys the cats and clogs it. Im thinking if i gutted cats car would prob run although i would use quart of oil in 50 miles or less lol. So im swapping motor with another 03 just seemed easier to find in my area and cheaper $1200 with 90k 6 month warranty against (oil burning or knocks incl)
Another $1000 for 18 hour labor ? mechanic says states 15 hour but added few extra in case of rusty bolts etc and considering bank paying might as well have them cover every penny. Now my thought since they wont pay for headers or new cats i could just gut them before installing new engine>?? plz tell me any thoughts and sorry flood S^&^ out of this post....

ps compression test shows 100 in cylinder 4 and 150+ in the rest.. SO iknow motor is about done anyway just wanted any suggestions especially about cats,,
Too much money, come to NY you'll be in and out for ~$1400 engine and labor
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

Originally Posted by 03maxdvt

you buying another 03 your risking of going through another oil issue these 02-03 suffer from that
Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 PM
dot dot dot ...

Glad I got a non oil burner and glad I installed headers at 39k, to avoid said oil issue.