5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

direct fuse box grounds

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:35 PM

This isn't working out well for you, Mr. Aviator. If a person walks into a room full of strangers and gets ragged on, it's entirely possible he walked into a room full of douchbags. But if he walks into another room, and it happens again, and then yet again...

...see where I'm going with this?

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
damn dude learn how to multiquote.....
True enough.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 PM

Also the chassis of the car itself has a very low resistance compared to wires because the entire body shell/frame of the car is a very "fat wire" of a conductor, so grounding something in the trunk (like an amp) to the body of the car will actually be a better ground than running a ground wire all the way from the amp (in the trunk) to the battery.
the entire chassis over time rusts as do all bolts. this raises the resistance of the chassis. if you put 2 neg to chassis wires, this will lower resistance

and i dont really mind people are hating, I know it works so i enjoy everyones reaction hahhah :P guess i am half troll

Last edited by Aviation005; 12-11-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 PM

Not to add fuel to the flames here, but why do you keep insisting that having TWO chassis grounds is so much MORE grounded than factory? Have you even cracked open the FSM just once? Might wanna go dust that off.

Factory Chassis Grounds
M9 - Just below driver's side A pillar
M25 - Just behind fuse box
M87 - Behind glove box

I'm glad you have TWO chassis grounds, I have THREE (3). Must be why my Maxima is so much faster than yours.

Last edited by rebelhell; 12-11-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by rebelhell
Not to add fuel to the flames here, but why do you keep insisting that having TWO chassis grounds is so much MORE grounded than factory? Have you even cracked open the FSM just once? Might wanna go dust that off.

Factory Chassis Grounds
M9 - Just below driver's side A pillar
M25 - Just behind fuse box
M87 - Behind glove box

I'm glad you have TWO chassis grounds, I have THREE (3). Must be why my Maxima is so much faster than yours.
I keep insisting because the guy above says the chassis has low resistance, this is not true.

also because i have tried with (1) 4GA wire ground, then added another and had brighter dash lights and better performance

I have tried with just the stock 4GA factory ground, the dash was dim
Old 12-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I'm not sure why you think Nissan is the only car company that grounds to a painted surface. I've not worked on any car/truck from 1957 to current that does otherwise. Wait, I retract that.....I worked on a Delorian that I would say grounded to unpainted surfaces.

You are right about what happens with age, and is why it is a good idea to clean those connections, bolts, and threads on the car. But grounding to a painted surface is not an indication of poor quality. You'd have better luck with that argument by mentioning our lower radiator supports.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Aviation005
the chassis's resistance isnt exactly low, it all depends on the connection from the negative terminal of the battery. this is why i used 2 negative to chassis

and where exactly is the alternators ground? isnt it through the engine?
The resistance of the chassis IS low... i'm talking about the unibody of the car here. If you took the car and crushed it into a wire-like shape (after removing everything that wasn't metal) you'd find it to be a much thicker wire than any wire you were using.

And 2 grounds to the chassis isn't anything to do with the resistance of the chassis itself, which is why I said:

What you really care about here is the quality of the ground between the battery and ground, since you want the body of the car to act as an "extension" of the negative terminal of the battery.
The resistance of the wire between the battery and the chassis does NOT equal "the resistance of the chassis itself".

As for the Alternator ground... yes, but there are so many junction points along the path between the alternator bracket and the battery terminal that are not necessarily bright shiny clean metal (bolts and surfaces and whatnot), that can add resistance along the way. So bypassing the engine block and all that junk, and going straight from the alty body to the neg terminal will give you less resistance. But that's the engine we're talking about, not the "chassis".

And iirc, the alternator is connected to the engine, which is connected via a wire to the chassis at the exact same place where the battery is connected to the chassis (the wires touch, so the resistance of the chassis is irrelevant here) meaning theyou actually add the resistance of those 2 factory wires plus all junctions in between together.... to get from the alty to the neg terminal.

The chassis is just a junction for that portion of the circuit (not a conductor), and you could just as easily connect the 2 wires together floating in mid-air using a plastic nut/bolt... as long as the 2 ends of the wire touch (and as long as the chassis was grounded to the battery somewhere else).

The only things that the chassis grounds are other circuits on the car that are grounded to the chassis, such as headlights, taillights, crap under the dashboard, etc. Those actually use the chassis as a conductor rather than a junction point.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

the entire chassis over time rusts as do all bolts. this raises the resistance of the chassis. if you put 2 neg to chassis wires, this will lower resistance

and i dont really mind people are hating, I know it works so i enjoy everyones reaction hahhah :P guess i am half troll
the body would have to rust through ENTIRELY between point A and point B for this to hold true. Take a big piece of sheet metal and drill a hole through it to simulate "rust" and the resistance won't really change appreciably..

And again you are describing the resistance BETWEEN the chassis ground-point and the battery... which is a wire, or in your case, 2 larger-than-stock wires. You are NOT describing the resistance of the chassis itself (between the "chassis ground point used to connect to the battery", and "every other ground point on the chassis used by other circuits").

Give me a minute and I will draw you a beautiful picture to explain this to you.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 12-11-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 PM

1.21 gigawatts
Old 12-11-2012, 09:39 PM

I say let him do what he is going to do. He has already made it clear on his intelligence and maturity level. Just look at the pics of the engine bay. I would keep my distance from that car but have marshmallows and chocolate handy for when it.....
Old 12-11-2012, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Man, you just wasted a bunch of your life trying to explain something to this guy.
nah he just schooled him.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:52 PM

Last edited by T_Behr904; 12-11-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:57 PM

Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

So when i say "the chassis has low resistance" i'm talking about R3. The resistance between two separate points on the chassis. That value will be lower than any wire you've got, assuming your connection points are nice and clean.

What you are calling the "resistance of the chassis" is R1 or R2. Those are wires, not "chassis".

So yes, reducing the resistance of those wires (by doubling them up, or making them thicker" will reduce the voltage drop across those wires, and therefore make more voltage available to the other parts of the car. If you had used a thicker wire (0 gauge) rather than doubling up the battery-to-chassis ground, you'd see the same result out a single wire though.

But that STILL has nothing to do with altering the resistance of the actual chassis (R3)... as i said twice before, you are talking about the connection BETWEEN the chassis and battery. The chassis itself is a massively big wire with massively low resistance, whether or not you can get the best use out of it a matter of what you're connecting to it, not it-itself.

And if there is paint, rust, dirt etc on your *connection points* then that's still not the "resistance of the chassis" as far as the metal in the chassis, that's just some junk you need to clean off before trying to make a connection.

Name:  kYS0jl.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  33.2 KB

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 12-11-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:07 PM

Old 12-11-2012, 10:07 PM

wookie, did you seriously just draw a picture?

That's awesome
Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
wookie, did you seriously just draw a picture?

That's awesome
I happen to be awesome on a daily basis. It happens
Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 PM

the entire chassis over time rusts as do all bolts. this raises the resistance of the chassis.
Here, I'll quote the one thing you are saying that is certainly true.

And here, I'll even praise you more, YOU'RE RIGHT ABOUT SOMETHING, but it's nothing new:

1. Stock grounds on almost all cars suck.
2. Stock grounds get worse as the car ages.
3. Replacing Stock grounds, and Adding extra grounds WILL help electrical performance, and extend the service life of all components involved.

Listen careful to the next part: This is why most guys upgrade the grounds. Some call it the 'big 3', whatever, the number doesn't matter, the purpose is to decrease the resistance to ground of the major ground points on a vehicle.

On every car the amount and location of the most vital points are different. But one thing is common, the 3 components you should be upgrading/adding grounds to:

1. Battery Negative to Chassis
2. Starter housing/Transmission Bellhousing to Chassis
3. Alternator housing/Engine block to Chassis

IMO:
- The Alternator should have it's own ground from the mounting bolt (alternator case)
- The battery negative should have 1 good 4 AWG ground that is under 14" long
- The Starter should be grounded from the mounting bolt to the Chassis with 4 AWG wire as short as possible while still allowing good routing and engine flex
- The timing case should be grounded to chassis with a 8 AWG wire. Alternatively you can run this 8 AWG wire over to the mounting point for your Alternator Ground so you don't have to run spagetti Grounds all over the bay. It will ground to chassis through the Alternators 4 AWG wire you just installed.
- Rear of engine block to chassis with 4 AWG
- Fuel pump ground to chassis (often overlooked, you do need to check the wiring diagram of your fuel pump though to make sure you can ground to chassis)
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

and sorry i had to use blue for positive... did not have a red pen
Old 12-11-2012, 10:15 PM

and sorry i had to use blue for positive... did not have a red pen
We'll forgive you...
Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 PM

My point is to tell you what you should do. Anything more is overkill, but won't really hurt anything but your pocket-book, time, and the visual appearance, so long as you run the wires correctly.

My other point is that no one is saying you're wrong about your reasoning for upgrading grounds.
People are laughing because you're making outlandish, unsubstantiated claims about the results, AS WELL as doing a TERRIBLE, HIDEOUS, TEAR-JERKING job on your wiring.
Anyone with any competence is shaking their head profusely at your pictures.

The claims, no fuse, and all the other idiocy is just amplifying the ridicule.

Swallow your pride, eat some ****ing humble pie, and accept that you do not know much of anything about this stuff, despite what you think.

Only then might you actually be able to learn something. Because right now your head is far too enlarged with mis-information for any good, truthful info to get in.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Old 12-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Here, I'll quote the one thing you are saying that is certainly true.

And here, I'll even praise you more, YOU'RE RIGHT ABOUT SOMETHING, but it's nothing new:

1. Stock grounds on almost all cars suck.
2. Stock grounds get worse as the car ages.
3. Replacing Stock grounds, and Adding extra grounds WILL help electrical performance, and extend the service life of all components involved.
The surface resistance of the ground-point will get worse over time due to corrosion/grime etc, but the point-to-point resistance within the metal skin of the car should stay close enough to the same that it should never be noticeable. Unless all of the metal surrounding that particular ground point starts rotting away, then you have a problem.

Barring that, as long as you clean it up good and use something to help ward off future corrosion/dirt (dielectric grease or something) then the grounding point should perform admirably for years to come.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
this muhfukka drew the muhfukka a muhfukking picture
Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 PM

The surface resistance of the ground-point will get worse over time due to corrosion/grime etc, but the point-to-point resistance within the metal skin of the car should stay close enough to the same that it should never be noticeable.

Dude is just really confused about the whole thing.
I think he learnt 1 very, very, very simple thing about electricity, and now he thinks he knows everything.

We've all been there, it takes knowledge to step back and decide to
A) learn more or B) Do not profess to know anything

Either way, you will NEVER know it all. There will always be a guy who knows more, and just when you think you've wow'd everyone listening to your big INTERNET POST, someone smarter will come in and make you look like a moron.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 PM

Well, bedtime for me. Looking forward to checking this thread out tomorrow to see what comes of it.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:24 PM

this muhfukka drew the muhfukka a muhfukking picture
Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 PM