5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Crank / No Start Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Crank / No Start Help!!!

Hello, I have an 01 maxima and i have an issue with crank and no start. I was driving one day to a mall and i saw a spot open up in the parking through a rear view, as soon as i put the car in reverse it died. The car would crank but it didnt start. I couldn't hear the fuel pump running so i thought it was the fuel pump and replaced it and i still cant hear the pump (the fuel pump is good), i checked the resistance for the cam sensor, and the crank sensor voltage (there may be an issue with the voltage, I only measure 6V). Please help

So far...
Fuses all good
Starter < 2months old
Alternater < 2yrs old
Cleaned Cam sensor
Didn't check spark plus, coils, fuel injector (cause i don't think it will all go out at once)
cleaned ground near the spark plugs
didn't check the ground connection between tranny and engine
sprayed throttle body cleaner and didn't fire up
crank sensor is only getting ~6V at the harness

What should I do next, could it be the ECM???
Old 12-19-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by pritesh07
Hello, I have an 01 maxima and i have an issue with crank and no start. I was driving one day to a mall and i saw a spot open up in the parking through a rear view, as soon as i put the car in reverse it died. The car would crank but it didnt start. I couldn't hear the fuel pump running so i thought it was the fuel pump and replaced it and i still cant hear the pump (the fuel pump is good), i checked the resistance for the cam sensor, and the crank sensor voltage (there may be an issue with the voltage, I only measure 6V). Please help

So far...
Fuses all good
Starter < 2months old
Alternater < 2yrs old
Cleaned Cam sensor
Didn't check spark plus, coils, fuel injector (cause i don't think it will all go out at once)
cleaned ground near the spark plugs
didn't check the ground connection between tranny and engine
sprayed throttle body cleaner and didn't fire up
crank sensor is only getting ~6V at the harness

What should I do next, could it be the ECM???
Bad fuel pump relay? Bad fuel pump assembly?
When I replaced my pump, I noticed on the assembly that holds the pump, there are wires soldered on. My wires looked burnt and not healthy. I suggest checking those wires. This would explain why you dont hear the pump turning on
Old 12-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the info! I bypassed the relay and had my friend start the car while I applied 12V to the pump (i don't recommend this... dangerous). I heard the pump work and the fuel was flowing, but it cranked and did not turn over.

Is there a way to test the fuel pump relay and how can I do so?
Old 12-21-2012, 05:57 PM

likely crank pos sensor. Sounds like it at least
Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Followup...

I replaced the crank sensor and still no go.... I got frustrated and had it towed to a local dealer.

The dealer said it was the fuse panel, i told him to replace the fuse panel ~$300. He calls me today (12/27) and tells me that he got the car to turn start, but wont idle. I was told that it was (idle air control) IAC valve and it will need a new ECU ~$1700. I went to a junk yard the past weekend and pulled out an ECU; however, the dealer said he will not install the junk yard ECU and reprogram it.

Now I am stumped, I don't know if it was the fuse panel in the first place... then I don't know if I should ask him to replace just the IAC valve and how to get the ECU programmed outside of the dealer. Does anyone know how to get the ECU programmed elsewhere?

Any other opinions...?
Old 12-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just returned from the dealer and the car runs ok! He replaced the fuse panel near the battery and told me the engine control 1 fuse was popping. He gave me some 15A fuses and told me I should be good to go. He said that i still need the IAC valve replaced and ECU replaced.

Do I really need the IAC valve if the car runs ok, and even if I replace the IAC should I replace my ECU? The fuse has not popped so far....
Old 12-28-2012, 04:05 PM

Wow. Sounds like you should avoid that dealer.

Your IACV, unfortunately, is not fused (do a search). If your car is running fine then you do not need a new ECU. When you do your search you will find some IACV "bypass" threads - get on that asap.

As far as a popping fuse, they pop for a reason. Some reasons for others have been:

[on eng control 1]

- o2 sensors
- coils
- short
Old 12-31-2012, 03:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the reply! I spent all two days chasing the problem. I replaced IACV with a new one and the fuse (#59) blew instantaneously. I must have gone through 5 fuses and they all blew within 30sec. I disconnected the ECU and no fuse blew. So I did some digging and found forums talking about issues related to motor mounts may be causing the problem....

I looked at the rear mount wire and saw it slightly pinched with I replaced the starter 6 months ago. I disconnected the mount and plugged the ECU back in and viola... no blown fuses! The car started, I also did a relearn because I replaced IACV, even the old was in working order...

The car starts rough but its working... any suggestions on the rough start?

Thanks nissan.org fourms.... Happy new year!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry I miss spoke earlier... It was Eng Cont 2 fuse (#59)