5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

$200 What to do??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rcrootbeer
Well i'm going to need a resonator in there somewhere because I need to keep the noise level down or my mother will shoot me. How about this, how much did it cost you to straight pipe the whole thing? Lets go from there
Thats all up to your muffler shop man lol yea you can get a resonator in there.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:24 PM

I just want to make sure im still in my $200 budget is all
Old 12-25-2012, 05:27 PM

My exhaust set up is stock besides replaced the resonator with a stock diameter straight pipe. Not sure how that affected back pressure but it sounds great (a little raspy but is still throaty)

Anyone done this before?

Btw, no codes.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:27 PM

You will. It cost me 150 to get it done.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:28 PM

What is a razco udp?
Underdrive pulley = muey responsive...
Old 12-25-2012, 05:28 PM

It was cheap too, labor and all was like $50 bucks! Then put the rest in a gas fund and save your paychecks!!
Old 12-25-2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Danimal94
My exhaust set up is stock besides replaced the resonator with a stock diameter straight pipe. Not sure how that affected back pressure but it sounds great (a little raspy but is still throaty)

Anyone done this before?

Btw, no codes.
Power wise it didnt do anything lol
Old 12-25-2012, 05:34 PM

Well i'm going to need a resonator in there somewhere because I need to keep the noise level down or my mother will shoot me. How about this, how much did it cost you to straight pipe the whole thing? Lets go from there

Sounds to me like a high-performance muffler would answer your problems. Deleting your resonator and cat is much louder than you think.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:39 PM

Ok so my last step now is figuring out how to keep it monitone around my mom. She hates when I talk about exhaust because she doesnt like loud cars. Your straight pipes are wayyyy to loud for me to stay out of trouble. So now im wondering what im going to need to tell the muffler shop, "I want a 2.5" straight pipe back to a resonator"?? I hope this goes over well
Old 12-25-2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaJeff02
Sounds to me like a high-performance muffler would answer your problems. Deleting your resonator and cat is much louder than you think.
Not really
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIhG...e_gdata_player
Old 12-25-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by maxima.713
You dont mind loud huh? Aite go to a muffler shop get your cat cut off and tell them to put a 2.5 inch straight pipe all the way back. No resonator and no muffler. You will get faster for sure and its loud. Check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RH6...e_gdata_player
I THINK this guy is messing around with you OP. You do not want that kind of noise and that kind of attention.

I'd do some sort of CAI. Despite what most people think, they do change your sound a little, You'll get a few more horses, and it's not too incredibly hard to install on most cars. Your engine will thank you.
1. A true CAI is kind of a pain on this car.
2. Everyone KNOWS that they chang the sound a lot.
3. Unless you go through the pain of a true CAI you will likely not gain a thing.
4. You are right about one thing. They are very easy to install.
5. This guy might be messing with you too OP. Or he is just plain WRONG.

^ and it's entirely legal. Maybe install a electronic cut-out before the cat. Open on the track, closed on the street. Your neighborhood will thank you.
Yup. Just wrong. Just bad advice to give a 16 year old that got $200 from his parents for Christmas.

I wouldnt recomend that. It will sound real nasty if you keep your muffler
Yup this one is DEFINATELY playing jokes. Stop falling for it OP. lol.

OP, Tunermax already said it best. Any exhaust for $200 is going to sound horrible. HORRIBLE. I will say it again. If you want sound go SRI. If you want handling go RSB. For $200 you are not going to get some great engine boosting performance. I'm sorry. A little bit more $$$ and the 3-piece spacer kit (not sure how much it is now) would be fine. And might be a challenging install for you to learn on too.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:41 PM

I race alot, only on the track though.
They allow you to race at a track being 16? You have to be 18 here.

Anyone done this before?

Btw, no codes.
That's exactly the setup I currently have. All stock exhaust minus the resonator. Added a little sound but nothing obnoxious.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:46 PM

@t_behr904 - on your 2000 se aswell? So you understand the first gear take off rasp? I love the sound personally, no problems?
Old 12-25-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2damax
I THINK this guy is messing around with you OP. You do not want that kind of noise and that kind of attention.

3. Unless you go through the pain of a true CAI you will likely not gain a thing.

Yup. Just wrong. Just bad advice to give a 16 year old that got $200 from his parents for Christmas.

OP, Tunermax already said it best. Any exhaust for $200 is going to sound horrible. HORRIBLE. I will say it again. If you want sound go SRI. If you want handling go RSB. For $200 you are not going to get some great engine boosting performance. I'm sorry. A little bit more $$$ and the 3-piece spacer kit (not sure how much it is now) would be fine. And might be a challenging install for you to learn on too.

Your quotes from me, I did say its easy on most cars. I'm going off my install on a Mustang. I'm a noob when it comes to these Maxima's. And as far being bad advice for a 16yo... You're right. LOL. He will probably have it open any time he's not near home, and he will get pulled over. I know I would if I was him.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:51 PM

He told me he didnt mind a loud exhaust so i gave him a loud exhaust lol he will be fine if he doesnt smash on it. I never had problems with the police.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:54 PM

I have been ignoring the noobie with his stupid intake suggestions, and I'm aware that an intake gives little to no gains, just sound. 2damax, I appreciate you catching me in my weak state of mind LOL. I was sold on the eBay catback a few hours ago because it seemed like a good deal and I want the sound + the gains a catback supplies. The other thing is this, I WILL NOT have anywhere near this amount of money in the near future so I kinda want to buy something that I will remember and appreciate (Not a Sway Bar) for a while. So now im down to this:

1) SRI
2) Ebay catback
3) Lowering Springs
4) Just an axleback
Old 12-25-2012, 05:54 PM

On the maxima...a CAI places the filter right behind the radiator. To make it a CAI I have seen threads where people cut a hole in the fender to stick it out more...that part is why I said it is not easy.

I said it was bad advice for the reason you said. Plus, it is just a poor first mod for a new driver. Start small with something he can do himself. He will get much more enjoyment from a mod he did in his driveway with his money.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:56 PM

@t_behr904 - on your 2000 se aswell? So you understand the first gear take off rasp? I love the sound personally, no problems?
Rasp is minimal. No problems.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
They allow you to race at a track being 16? You have to be 18 here.
Yeah! Northstar drag strip. I used to race on the street but I watched an Evo flip over a bridge on my way to work on day and it scared me
Old 12-25-2012, 05:59 PM

I have been ignoring the noobie with his stupid intake suggestions, and I'm aware that an intake gives little to no gains, just sound. 2damax, I appreciate you catching me in my weak state of mind LOL. I was sold on the eBay catback a few hours ago because it seemed like a good deal and I want the sound + the gains a catback supplies. The other thing is this, I WILL NOT have anywhere near this amount of money in the near future so I kinda want to buy something that I will remember and appreciate (Not a Sway Bar) for a while. So now im down to this:

1) SRI
2) Ebay catback
3) Lowering Springs
4) Just an axleback
1. I like this idea. You can do it yourself and it will be quick and cheaper than $200 by a fair amount.
2. I cannot stress enough how bad a $200 (with shipping) catback will sound. Not to mention fitment issues and looks and durability.
3. Good idea. Would look nice. Is a job you can do by yourself and feel great about after. You will always notice it and drive different. However, decent springs may be a little over $200 and you will EVENTUALLY need to do struts. I forget how much my H&R springs were but I changed the struts at the same time for good measure.
4. Why? For sound? Just go SRI.
5. Can I ask why no RSB? It is not that I disagree but I am curious what you do not like about it? From what I read it is a huge difference in ride quality. I think you want people to hear you coming and be like DAMNNN!

Last edited by 2damax; 12-25-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:01 PM

He told me he didnt mind a loud exhaust so i gave him a loud exhaust lol he will be fine if he doesnt smash on it. I never had problems with the police.
You know, that is true. You did give what he asked for lol.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:02 PM

1. I like this idea. You can do it yourself and it will be quick and cheaper than $200 by a fair amount.
2. I cannot stress enough how bad a $200 (with shipping) catback will sound. Not to mention fitment issues and looks and durability.
3. Good idea. Would look nice. Is a job you can do by yourself and feel great about after. You will always notice it and drive different. However, decent springs may be a little over $200 and you will eventually need to struts. I forget how much my h&r springs were but i changed the struts at the same time for good measure.
4. Why? For sound? Just go sri.
5. Can i ask why no rsb? It is not that i disagree but i am curious what you do not like about it? From what i read it is a huge difference in ride quality. I think you want people to hear you coming and be like damnnn!

+1
Old 12-25-2012, 06:06 PM

Can I ask why no RSB? It is not that I disagree but I am curious what you do not like about it? From what I read it is a huge difference in ride quality. I think you want people to hear you coming and be like DAMNNN!
I have nothing against a RSB, but you are EXACTLY right. I just dont like the idea of being stock. With a RSB I can feel it, but I cannot see it or hear it, same with others looking at my car. With springs you can SEE that its dropped flush to the wheel. With an intake you can hear the car coming down the road. I was hoping the catback would provide atleast 10-15hp + it has that deep throaty sound. Which is why I did the GAB mod
Old 12-25-2012, 06:07 PM

3. Good idea. Would look nice. Is a job you can do by yourself and feel great about after. You will always notice it and drive different. However, decent springs may be a little over $200 and you will EVENTUALLY need to do struts. I forget how much my H&R springs were but I changed the struts at the same time for good measure.
4. Why? For sound? Just go SRI.
5. Can I ask why no RSB? It is not that I disagree but I am curious what you do not like about it? From what I read it is a huge difference in ride quality. I think you want people to hear you coming and be like DAMNNN!
They will deff be like damn when they hear him at wot with a straight pipe lol
Old 12-25-2012, 06:08 PM

Yeah! Northstar drag strip. I used to race on the street but I watched an Evo flip over a bridge on my way to work on day and it scared me
Don't get into that bad habit. I used to do that a long time ago and I got lucky and never got in trouble for it (knock on wood)

Let me give you some expert advise from someone who's been there and done that for as long as you have been alive... I'd save your $200 dollars. You never know when your starter or alternator will crap out on you, and it's nice to have that money set aside for things like that. Nothing sucks worse being a young man than having your car break down and not having the money to fix it.

Moral of the story... Keep your car reliable. Maintenance before mods. Always.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:09 PM

Everybody at meets would always ask me what kinda exhaust i had lol
Old 12-25-2012, 06:12 PM

I have nothing against a RSB, but you are EXACTLY right. I just dont like the idea of being stock. With a RSB I can feel it, but I cannot see it or hear it, same with others looking at my car. With springs you can SEE that its dropped flush to the wheel. With an intake you can hear the car coming down the road. I was hoping the catback would provide atleast 10-15hp + it has that deep throaty sound. Which is why I did the GAB mod
The best bang for your buck (in the horsepower department) for your car is a Y pipe. Unless you have a Cali spec car, you'll remove both pre-cats, but still retain the main cat. A Y-pipe will give you that 15+ whp. However, it will put you at the limit of your budget. I still stand behind my previous statement of saving your money for whenever you have an unexpected car repair you need to do.

Springs will not have it flush to the wheel but it will be a nice stance. I like my drop. The catback will not provide 15hp. It will provide sound. The only time I can really see the catback assisting in HP is when you do the Y-pipe or headers .

If $200 is definately your max and you are set on a mod that you can see or hear then I suggest the intake. The crappy part is, you alread did the GAB mod. That is all the intake mod you need. But for the money, I'm not sure what other mods fit your criteria.

Those udp dont do squat! Lol waste of money.
Have you had one....
Old 12-25-2012, 06:13 PM

Don't get into that bad habit. I used to do that a long time ago and I got lucky and never got in trouble for it (knock on wood)

Let me give you some expert advise from someone who's been there and done that for as long as you have been alive... I'd save your $200 dollars. You never know when your starter or alternator will crap out on you, and it's nice to have that money set aside for things like that. Nothing sucks worse being a young man than having your car break down and not having the money to fix it.

I may not be as old but I agree with this wisdom!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:16 PM

I may not be as old but I agree with this wisdom!
I'm only 35 years young
Old 12-25-2012, 06:17 PM

My starter actually died 2 months ago and I changed it myself in the rain in 35 degrees!

So I feel like you guys might think im opposing everything you say, but the truth is those of you saying save save for a rainy day, I already am! Half of every single one of my paychecks goes into savings to justify those repairs that need to be made. Then the other half is for gas and my "fun" money. This is why I have no extra money to do anything to my car. So with that being said, this $200 is for my first real modification. Not for gas, I have that covered, not for maintance i've got that down too.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:17 PM

You've probably had enough from the newbie, but I am "trying" to help. Might I suggest finding a used Megan or Cattman axle-back? I know there's a Megan in the classifieds for 250obo. (Shipping not included) Wait until you get paid and you'll be good.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:22 PM

I have a Megan catback. If I did not have a 6sp, I would get rid of it. The drone drives me nuts. OP, you sound pretty mature for your age and congrats on the starter job. I'm 24 and enjoy working on my car...well sometimes...but I would not have had the determination you had to change my starter in that weather. I applaud you sir. The way you save your money is also much smarter than myself at 16. I think you have narrowed down your ideas pretty well. You have a good head on your shoulders.... O god I sound old
Old 12-25-2012, 06:24 PM

You've probably had enough from the newbie, but I am "trying" to help. Might I suggest finding a used Megan or Cattman axle-back? I know there's a Megan in the classifieds for 250obo. (Shipping not included) Wait until you get paid and you'll be good.
I have nothing against you my friend, we all started somewhere and you are probably older than I, for which I apologize if I insulted you. I saw that earlier today and questioned if I was able to buy it. It might be feasable, but I guess we'll see! Thanks for your input
Old 12-25-2012, 06:32 PM

I have nothing against you my friend, we all started somewhere and you are probably older than I, for which I apologize if I insulted you. I saw that earlier today and questioned if I was able to buy it. It might be feasable, but I guess we'll see! Thanks for your input
Oh, I'm far from insulted. I'm usually the kind of person who's overly motivated to help people. I didn't realize a true CAI was a hassle on the max. I apologize for that bad info. I'll have to agree with everyone else here, You are far more mature and intelligent than any 16yo I know, Or even myself at that age. Good luck finding that perfect first mod.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:32 PM

I have a Megan catback. If I did not have a 6sp, I would get rid of it. The drone drives me nuts. OP, you sound pretty mature for your age and congrats on the starter job. I'm 24 and enjoy working on my car...well sometimes...but I would not have had the determination you had to change my starter in that weather. I applaud you sir. The way you save your money is also much smarter than myself at 16. I think you have narrowed down your ideas pretty well. You have a good head on your shoulders.... O god I sound old
Thanks 2damax, I appreciate your help with my decision. I want you to tell me, after all this, if you were 16, had $200, wanted to make your car sound better/ look better not knowing when you would have $200 again. Would you pick springs, the ebay catback, or a reputable brand of axle-back?
Old 12-25-2012, 06:35 PM

Oh, I'm far from insulted. I'm usually the kind of person who's overly motivated to help people. I didn't realize a true CAI was a hassle on the max. I apologize for that bad info. I'll have to agree with everyone else here, You are far more mature and intelligent than any 16yo I know, Or even myself at that age. Good luck finding that perfect first mod.
Thanks! Something tells me ill end up with that axle back you told me about. I appreciate all of your help and I hope you stay and learn alot on this sight, I know I have
Old 12-25-2012, 06:43 PM

Thanks 2damax, I appreciate your help with my decision. I want you to tell me, after all this, if you were 16, had $200, wanted to make your car sound better/ look better not knowing when you would have $200 again. Would you pick springs, the ebay catback, or a reputable brand of axle-back?
1. You are talking like I am old and cannot relate lol. At 24 years old I mod my car if/when I can. If I had to choose between the three I would pick springs with future plans to do the rest.

2. At 16 I would pick the reputable catback because at 16 I was not smart enough to consider the negative attention I would get for a little noise...like I get now.

3. At my old age, when my daughter sleeps...I sleep. Good night sir.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:51 PM

1. You are talking like I am old and cannot relate lol. At 24 years old I mod my car if/when I can. If I had to choose between the three I would pick springs with future plans to do the rest.

2. At 16 I would pick the reputable catback because at 16 I was not smart enough to consider the negative attention I would get for a little noise...like I get now.

3. At my old age, when my daughter sleeps...I sleep. Good night sir.
Oh god I hope I never reach 24 Just kidding

Merry Christmas, I cant tell you how much I appreciate the info. I think ill be doing the SRI and getting a test pipe inplace of the resonator and leaving the rest stock. It adds the cool custom look in the engine bay with the intake, the tone of exhaust that I want, and still comes in under budget.

Quick Reply: $200 What to do??