5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

$200 What to do??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by maxima.713
Good gains. Cars that were neck and neck i was beating them by like 2 cars maybe more.
Trololololol. Well trolled, though, unless you're serious, in which case, OP, ignore all of this advice

Originally Posted by 2damax
On the maxima...a CAI places the filter right behind the radiator. To make it a CAI I have seen threads where people cut a hole in the fender to stick it out more...that part is why I said it is not easy.
This. Though, the "CAI" behind the radiator is B/S, that's a lie. It's a "WAI" Warm Air Intake.

The only CAI for this car is the custom one you make yourself, by cutting into the fender.
That's also the ONLY one worth putting on your car.

The only thing you will get from other intakes is noise.

Advice, Advice, Advice
^^Everything this guy has said
Old 12-25-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rcrootbeer
I have nothing against a RSB, but you are EXACTLY right. I just dont like the idea of being stock. With a RSB I can feel it, but I cannot see it or hear it, same with others looking at my car. With springs you can SEE that its dropped flush to the wheel. With an intake you can hear the car coming down the road. I was hoping the catback would provide atleast 10-15hp + it has that deep throaty sound. Which is why I did the GAB mod
So. I know what you want now.

Drill a 3/8" Hole in the middle of your muffler. Noise wanted, done. FREE.

THIS IS NOT A JOKE. It will also sound better than ANY other option you have listed.

Couple this with what I already mentioned:

Originally Posted by tunermaxima3000
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...9QEwBA&dur=291

That and a MAF adapter will be all you need for what you want.
You'll have $100 left over that you can put in a jar under your bed. Insert $10 every week in that jar, you won't even notice it missing. Once it's got enough money, post another thread for the next mod
The next thing you will save for is Lowering springs, I'd say, based on your goals. And you'll be $100 closer to a drastic change in appearance!

You can also skip the intake and just put the money in springs, but you need $100 more. $200 is NOT enough for lowering springs.

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
The best bang for your buck (in the horsepower department) for your car is a Y pipe. Unless you have a Cali spec car, you'll remove both pre-cats, but still retain the main cat. A Y-pipe will give you that 15+ whp. However, it will put you at the limit of your budget.
THIS. Doesn't matter if it's Cali or Fed spec, the Y pipe on that car is the best bang for your buck, no question.
When you start caring about actual performance and get the 'aesthetic' mods out of the way, this is what you should spend your money on first.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
So. I know what you want now.

Drill a 3/8" Hole in the middle of your muffler. Noise wanted, done. FREE.

THIS IS NOT A JOKE. It will also sound better than ANY other option you have listed.
I hope you aren't BSing me. Please give me some evidence that drilling a hole in my muffler will give me the sound I want. I've been reading your posts for 6 months and I trust you, but i've never heard anyone suggest taking a drill to their muffler.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:10 PM

[QUOTE=TunerMaxima3000;8692962]Trololololol. Well trolled, though, unless you're serious, in which case, OP, ignore all of this advice

if i could post street racing vids i would. I went from a 14.9 bone stock to a 14.6 with the straight pipe in the 1/4 mile too

Last edited by maxima.713; 12-25-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:22 PM

You'll lose power, but putting a cone filter on the end of the MAF will set you back around $70-100, the sound will be awesome.

This is the best bet for sound under $200. There's really nothing you're going to buy for exhaust that will not sound obnoxious for under $200.

Of course, that's a matter of opinion, some people like silly, loud exhausts that don't rumble.
I have a stainless cat-back eBay special on my '02 and it's far from being loud. If anythings, it's damn near stock. Just putting my humble opinion in where it's worth...

...unfortunately, no outside video, but here is me crusing down the hwy.

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...504_210103.mp4

And here is a shot of it from the rear.

Name:  max.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  51.2 KB
Old 12-25-2012, 08:31 PM

2. I cannot stress enough how bad a $200 (with shipping) catback will sound. Not to mention fitment issues and looks and durability.
5 years later and I am still happy with my investment, the fitment, and the durability.

Not sure who all you guys have talked to or experiences with these cat-backs from eBay, but they are not as bad as one would expect and are not loud. At least the one I purchased is not.

I had to purchase one longer rubber muffler hanger to bring the exhaust away from the rear bumper, but other than that, no other issues whatsoever.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:40 PM

THANK YOU MY FRIEND. I just couldn't bring myself to agree with the guys. Im going to order it tomorrow. Can you remember any specifics like which ebay seller it was, any special tips on installation (other than the hanger) etc.?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:52 PM

THANK YOU MY FRIEND. I just couldn't bring myself to agree with the guys. Im going to order it tomorrow. Can you remember any specifics like which ebay seller it was, any special tips on installation (other than the hanger) etc.?
one thing I neglected to state... Mine did NOT come with a baffle, so I ordered one. The baffle is crucial if you want to prevent/reduce in cabin resonance.

It's been almost 5 years, but let me see what I can gather on the one I bought.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:27 PM

Er meh gerd don't do it. Put it towards the megan racing catback or wait until one pops up in the classifieds. That and the cattman are the only two catbacks anyone should put on their maxima..imo

Single tip exhausts on a maxima...why the cutout is designed for two tips.
Would you rather:

Name:  max.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  51.2 KB

or

Don't let the idea of the SRI not giving real gains lead you astray! Its still fun.

Last edited by luvlexus101; 12-25-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:01 PM

If I was doing a Exhaust all over, would go ebay piping with OEM Muffler.....
Old 12-25-2012, 10:09 PM

Mmm, not to sound like a **** but. I've had my Maxima for three months. In those three months I've obtained Ksport coilovers,short ram intake,magnaflow exhaust,Warpspeed Y-Pipe,NWP BOP,test pipe, and a Pioneer P3400 head unit and a car payment monthly. Oooh yeah! I'm 16 as well... Crazy how working hard gets you fun toys to play with! Turbo Xs Utec In near future with NWP 5pc Spacers and RSB and lastly stage 2 ITB by spring time! But for 200 dollars you could get a 3inch or 2.5inch maf adapter and a filter, BOP, a test pipe,and a muffler! I have a headunit I can sell you for cheap BNIB! PM if interested.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:20 PM

I'm guessing you just want the attention judging from you other "kid thinks his passat can beat me" thread or whatever... Honestly, your car is slow....you can make decent power out of it but lets be realistic, you have $200 to spend on a mod.....Why not catch the attention of people by dramatically improving your handling with a RSB. All bark no bite is a no no..And I'd be willing to bet you're going to mash the gas just to hear that exhaust ALL the time so save yourself and some gas money get the sway bar..

Last edited by tseng1023; 12-25-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:37 AM

If you are going for looks and sound, get the SRI. You might have some money left for FSTB.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:39 AM

Ok, im not "just looking for attention" and that thread was deleted for a reason. Im not your average 16 yo. When I do get the exhaust my OEM muffler will be put on instead of that 4" cannon. Im looking for a grumble, I know my cars not fast. Lay off and give me advice w/o trying to make me sound stupid. Thanks
Old 12-26-2012, 06:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rcrootbeer since your in Dallas, you should come to our nissan meets and hear different setups before you make your choice.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/70139905184/

BTW a resonator can not be replaced with a testpipe. You mean take the stock main cat out and replace it with a test pipe.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by nishfish871
BTW a resonator can not be replaced with a testpipe. You mean take the stock main cat out and replace it with a test pipe.
See post #43 and #52

An yes im down for any meet y'all have, where is it usually held?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by tseng1023
I'm guessing you just want the attention judging from you other "kid thinks his passat can beat me" thread or whatever... Honestly, your car is slow....you can make decent power out of it but lets be realistic, you have $200 to spend on a mod.....Why not catch the attention of people by dramatically improving your handling with a RSB. All bark no bite is a no no..And I'd be willing to bet you're going to mash the gas just to hear that exhaust ALL the time so save yourself and some gas money get the sway bar..
OP has not done anything to indcate he is just craving attention. He is clearly willing to learn and get advice from others. I recall a thread you had got deleted because you were not as willing. You live and you learn though. I also disagree with the car is slow statement. While the maxima is no sports car, it is far from slow. Lastly, OP has already explained his reasoning for not wanting the RSB. It is a good mod but not for him right now.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 AM

You said you dont want the RSB because you want something noticable? the RSB is the MOST noticable performance/suspension gain you will get from $200, period.
He's right, you know.

I have nothing against a RSB, but you are EXACTLY right. I just dont like the idea of being stock. With a RSB I can feel it, but I cannot see it or hear it, same with others looking at my car. With springs you can SEE that its dropped flush to the wheel. With an intake you can hear the car coming down the road. I was hoping the catback would provide atleast 10-15hp + it has that deep throaty sound. Which is why I did the GAB mod
Your expectations out of a catback are disproportionate to the mod. However, it will be louder, where your ears and your butt will tell you that you're car is faster than it was before, reality be damned. That's the fun of it, I suppose.

Scanning through these posts, it sure does read like your priorities are image over experience. In other words, you're more interested in how you and other people perceive the car, more so than you are in the satisfaction of performance tuning. And Rootbeer, that's not a insult. It's pretty normal, particularly with the younger car enthusiast. So while the RSB is hands-down the best performance mod for your car within this budget of yours, what you really want is a loud exhaust with shiny new exhaust tips.

So do it. Go get what you really want. Even if it costs you a little more than $200.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
He's right, you know.

Your expectations out of a catback are disproportionate to the mod. However, it will be louder, where your ears and your butt will tell you that you're car is faster than it was before, reality be damned. That's the fun of it, I suppose.

Scanning through these posts, it sure does read like your priorities are image over experience. In other words, you're more interested in how you and other people perceive the car, more so than you are in the satisfaction of performance tuning. And Rootbeer, that's not a insult. It's pretty normal, particularly with the younger car enthusiast. So while the RSB is hands-down the best performance mod for your car within this budget of yours, what you really want is a loud exhaust with shiny new exhaust tips.

So do it. Go get what you really want. Even if it costs you a little more than $200.
I was waiting for your opinion Rochester! I figured you ought to come around sometime after my stupid thread is at 100 posts Thanks again to everyone, especially 2damax, I think Rochester has made my decision for me. Maybe some kid like me will join in a year and search what he can do with $200. Hes got 100 posts of pure advice ahead of him.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:21 AM

I was waiting for your opinion Rochester! I figured you ought to come around sometime after my stupid thread is at 100 posts Thanks again to everyone, especially 2damax, I think Rochester has made my decision for me. Maybe some kid like me will join in a year and search what he can do with $200. Hes got 100 posts of pure advice ahead of him.
Hmm, OK. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:35 AM

I hope you don't think im creepy lol. I just have a lot of respect for people like you, irish, t_behr, etc. Its nice to have the "seniors", for lack of a better word, contribute.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 AM

Irish knows cars. I'm nobody, just a suburban dad who got a little carried away with his family sedan. But thanks for the kind words, Rootbeer. Bump the thread some day with whatever you spent this $200 on.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:56 AM

I didn't read everything so not sure if someone said it: Don't go with springs.

It will cost you far more than $200 to do them properly.

To do springs correctly, you are going to need to upgrade your struts, get an alignment and likely camber bolts or a kit to get the alignment correct.

The reason you will need those things is that the springs are shorter and stiffer than stock.

You will need an alignment after changing springs ($60-$80 unless you already have a lifetime somewhere). If you don't do that, you are asking for quick tire wear and the cost of purchasing new tires sooner.

More than likely, camber won't be able to be set properly because of the different geometry, you will need to buy camber bolts or a kit and have it installed ($60-$80) to get it aligned properly.

And, the stiffness of the springs needs to be compensated with better struts. So, you either need to buy new struts or the stiffer springs will kill your current struts. Especially if they have a bunch of miles on them. Are you currently driving on the original struts? If so, they will die a quick death.

In other words, your $200 mod will end up costing you lots more money.

Since you don't like the RSB, I would suggest a true cold air intake like the place racing version. You do have to cut a hole in the fender but really, it is no big deal. It will give you a power boost, sound a little better, and look very cool to your friends when you show them under the hood! You will also be able to say "my intake is better than yours" because it is a cold air intake. I'm just not sure that it is less than $200. Probably can find a used one.

Last edited by Max_Gator; 12-26-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator

To do springs correctly, you are going to need to upgrade your struts, get an alignment and likely camber bolts or a kit to get the alignment correct.

The reason you will need those things is that the springs are shorter and stiffer than stock.

You will need an alignment after changing springs ($60-$80 unless you already have a lifetime somewhere). If you don't do that, you are asking for quick tire wear and the cost of purchasing new tires sooner.

More than likely, camber won't be able to be set properly because of the different geometry, you will need to buy camber bolts or a kit and have it installed ($60-$80) to get it aligned properly.

And, the stiffness of the springs needs to be compensated with better struts. So, you either need to buy new struts or the stiffer springs will kill your current struts. Especially if they have a bunch of miles on them. Are you currently driving on the original struts? If so, they will die a quick death.

Since you don't like the RSB, I would suggest a true cold air intake like the place racing version. You do have to cut a hole in the fender but really, it is no big deal. It will give you a power boost, sound a little better, and look very cool to your friends when you show them under the hood! You will also be able to say "my intake is better than yours" because it is a cold air intake. I'm just not sure that it is less than $200. Probably can find a used one.
Atleast one person on this understand the purpose of doing it right. $200 will get you very little because with the mod will come labour
Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks I'll keep the CAI in mind
Old 12-26-2012, 09:51 AM

how about getting some tints on the car if you don't have them yet?

noticeable upgrade and functional.

maybe a roof spoiler if you're ito that or a lip kit.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Ok so, my parents gave me $200 for Christmas and I would love some input on what to do w/ it. My ideas are Megan Racing Springs or an axle-back exhaust. Most of you know much better than I what is best to use the $200 for. And DO NOT say "save it until you can afford a catback or coilovers." That's not an option. Let the discussion begin!
Maybe just save the money in general?

IMO the springs are no good with stock struts/shocks and the axle-back exhaust is good only for sound...you may not enjoy that sound after a while.

Ahhh...but what do I know.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 AM

Ypipe!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARPSPEED-MA...fe1a49&vxp=mtr
Old 12-26-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator

Do people really have problems getting a alignment after just springs? I bought some boo boo drop zone springs that lowered my car 2 inches front and back and i didnt have to get an alignment or camber bolts. I didnt notice any extra wear on my tires either. I just slapped those springs on my self.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Do people really have problems getting a alignment after just springs? I bought some boo boo drop zone springs that lowered my car 2 inches front and back and i didnt have to get an alignment or camber bolts. I didnt notice any extra wear on my tires either. I just slapped those springs on my self.
Generally you do need an alignment and depending on how much drop camber bolts. You may not notice the tire wear now, but you will over time.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:09 PM

I hope you aren't BSing me. Please give me some evidence that drilling a hole in my muffler will give me the sound I want. I've been reading your posts for 6 months and I trust you, but i've never heard anyone suggest taking a drill to their muffler.
No I'm not. You're wasting your money buying an exhaust just for noise. If you want it to sound decent just drill a hole in it. No cost.

if i could post street racing vids i would. I went from a 14.9 bone stock to a 14.6 with the straight pipe in the 1/4 mile too
Dude, I'm sure you're trolling. Anyone with a brain knows that deleting the exhaust, or straight piping it, will make more power.
But it will sound obnoxiously loud, raspy, and all around aweful. Not to mention being very illegal.

And lets face it, a 16 year old male doesn't need help to get the cops on him and his car.

Originally Posted by nismopc

Not sure who all you guys have talked to or experiences with these cat-backs from eBay, but they are not as bad as one would expect and are not loud. At least the one I purchased is not.
I almost bought one too. I wouldn't ever buy the ugly single tip one though, that's hideous. At least get the 2 tip one.

Either way, the drone is bad on those exhausts. "loud" is a matter of opinion. The drone is brutal in those exhausts, especially in an automatic.

If you're ok with that, sweet! I'm not. That's one of those exhaust that sounds ok INSIDE THE CAR but OUTSIDE people look at you like you're a moron and trying to be a hopped up civic.

IMO: A PROPER EXHAUST ONLY MAKES NOISE WHEN YOU TROMP ON IT. If it makes noise at other times, or part throttle, it's poorly designed.

When I do get the exhaust my OEM muffler will be put on instead of that 4" cannon. Im looking for a grumble, I know my cars not fast. Lay off and give me advice w/o trying to make me sound stupid. Thanks
Let me slap you just a little up the side of the head
Your point is noise. If you remove the muffler and put the stock muffler back on, you will have NO NOISE INCREASE OVER STOCK at all.

You will have made your purchase completely pointless.
If the purpose is noise AND performance, Drill a hole and save up some more for a Y pipe.

Listen to the guys that have done this stuff before dude, we've been in your exact shoes. Most of us, anyways.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 12-26-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:38 PM

Old 12-26-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
I'm nobody, just a suburban dad who got a little carried away with his family sedan.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:27 PM

Old 12-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nsnrider
how about getting some tints on the car if you don't have them yet?

noticeable upgrade and functional.

maybe a roof spoiler if you're ito that or a lip kit.
WTF is this "tints"stuff you talk about how many HP's does it produce and is it stainless steel?
Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by nismopc
I have a stainless cat-back eBay special on my '02 and it's far from being loud. If anythings, it's damn near stock. Just putting my humble opinion in where it's worth...

...unfortunately, no outside video, but here is me crusing down the hwy.

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...504_210103.mp4

And here is a shot of it from the rear.

bet you don't have headers lol
Old 12-26-2012, 05:57 PM

Ok so, my parents gave me $200 for Christmas and I would love some input on what to do w/ it. My ideas are Megan Racing Springs or an axle-back exhaust. Most of you know much better than I what is best to use the $200 for. And DO NOT say "save it until you can afford a catback or coilovers." That's not an option. Let the discussion begin!
Ebay Catback- $100+
Cosmo lightweight crank pulley- $81 shipped

$200...... spent /Thread lol
Old 12-26-2012, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
WTF is this "tints"stuff you talk about how many HP's does it produce and is it stainless steel?
Old 12-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Banned

Um Rochester dont lie to the newbs you was all out modder you spent more on Ti hardware and fancy clamps then most owners spend on lifetime car maintance
Old 12-26-2012, 06:06 PM

That was funny.

Rootbeer, don't get too caught up in the whole lightweight crank pulley mod. It's valid, but so minimal that mostly it's about bragging rights. If I had to do it all over again, that money could have gone into a savings for a set of coilovers, or had the car tinted, or maybe pay for a few more titanium bolts... anything really, and I would have been more happy than otherwise.

Quick Reply: $200 What to do??