5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Nissan Maxima Manual Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 Nissan Maxima Manual Climate Control

I need some help really bad.

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima with the manual climate control. I live in Denver and it has been really cold but the heater/ac has quit working.

Here is what happened. first the system would only blow on High. Then soon after that it quit blowing at all.

We took the car to Sears for other repairs and asked them to diagnose the heater/ac issue.

They came back and said we needed a new Blower motor resistor. So we bought a new one at parts store and took it to a local repair shop. They put the new resistor in and didnt work so they took it back out and put the old one back in.

A few days later the heater blew only on low and if we changed the setting it would quit working. Then it quit again. I put it on low and hit the dash right below the control unit and it started working again on low only.

Then a few days after that it quit again even smacking it hard.

I should mention that all the function lites are on and change with each selection. And if Im driving down the highway and have the system not set on circulate inside air, I can feel a little hot air blowing. I know this is just from the open air vents.

Here is what I need to know...... Whats the issue. I feel like it is the blower selector switch but dont want to take the dash apart if thats not the issue.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong? If there is a component in the manual control that needs changed can you give me the part name? Does the whole component need to be replaced?
If so can anyone tell me how to remove it from the dash? I pulled a little on the face plate but didnt want to brake anything.

I dont have enough money to have a mechanic do it but I need to get something done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if there is a manual for this you can forward me to online that would be great too.

Thank you for your time.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 PM

Your blower motor and air filter is located behind the glove box. The whole assembly comes off just by removing all the screws, including the ones that hold the lock latch. There are plenty of threads on this form that detail how to do this, and with pictures.

I think you should change your air filter and make sure there isn't anything obstructing it. Otherwise, your blower motor might be worn out.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

your blower motor is gone replace it and you will be happy also hook up a meter to the connector and test for voltage

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 PM

You can try turning on the fan and try hitting the fan motor and see if it starts running, but I don't think it will. The fact that you can hit the control unit and the fan runs sounds like the switch in the dash is bad.