5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dim headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dim headlights

So, I am new here and I will like to say in advance, thanks to all who might help me with my problem.

I have a 2003 Maxima, which it wasn't until today, I found out i have HID Xenon. I was going to replace the bulbs because, since awhile back, lets say 1-2years my lights, have been extremely dim, meaning, they don't go any further than like 5-8feets in the road. Which is bad, because i have little visibility. As i was trying to replace the bulb, i noticed the connection was different. So i proceed to remove the headlamp and noticed attached ballast to the bottle.

Now do know, i have had the car for 5 years, not once did i change the bulbs yet.

So, if i so have HID Xenon, and they are still working, why are they so dim? I did noticed that one side is a bit blue (driver), while passenger is white.

What can be holding my lights from being extremely bright on the road?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 PM

HID bulbs will degrade over time. It's unusual for them to be as dim as you are describing. I'd suggest changing the bulbs and see what happens. The bulbs you need are D2R HID bulbs. The cheapest place I know to order them is DDM Tuning. I wouldn't reccomend a color over 6000K. Any higher and visibility is actually reduced. Here's my car with 6000K headlights and fog lights. There's a slight blue tint but mostly just pure white.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:43 PM

Hey man how yellow are your headlamp lenses? I haven't had say a real problem in my line if work fit brightness. I mean all bulbs will change over time but not as extreme as you are talking about! Have you tried adjusting them? Also my lights were really yellow until I wet sanded and buffed them last week. I see a ton of cars come threw my body shop with the yellowed up lenses. I would attempt to clean up before replacing things. But different bulbs do generate different lighting. The higher the number the bluer and more purple the bulb will get and loose lighting. I run 6000 in my aftermarket kits. I havent changed these out yet. the lower the number the brighter and closer to natural sun light
Old 01-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

@ rebelhell, thanks for that. I think you might be right, and yea, nothing back 6k, the color starts to change and i love clear white lights.

@quick-e, i will take a picture in a few, to be honest, they are not that bad.

here are some links: sorry, files too big to add here so i am using image shack

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...113151929.jpg/ (this is driver)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...113151922.jpg/ (this is passenger)

and this one is the bulb

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...113153647.jpg/
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM

on the little lever that turns on your lights by the steering wheel, I think there is a little switch that controls how bright your lights are or dim, make sure you didn't accidentally hit that switch and dim them, thats what I did once.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:48 PM

^ hes talking about the dimmer next to the gauge cluster i dont think this affects headlights though. That looks pretty dim to be honest and its like the camera is right in front of it too. Well you gotta start with the cheapest and most reasonable solution first and work your way up. I think its safe to assume your headlights look to dim to be cosidered normal so start by changing both bulbs with brand new ones. You can get a good price on ebay, i think the OEM bulbs are made by philips and those are great quality should be around $30. Next more expensive step i would take if the bulbs dont solve the problem would be to get a set of used OEM ballasts and swap em out. After that im out of ideas, good luck.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

@ Djhackstyle

that is exactly what i was thinking and trust me they are dim. I can barely see at night, literally no longer than 5-8 feet and it has been killing me wondering why. But heck, let me start low and then go up. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:35 PM

So you definitely have hid lamps. How long has this been going on? Have you checked your alternator? They both look a little dim too me. But hard to tell with photos as a lot of times it depends on your level. Again have you tried adjusting them? The only time I have seen two headlamps dim was when the alternator was going bad. Not saying yours is but it is the ultimate power supply. Taking a pic with lights off may help see if they are too faded.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:54 PM

I agree with the other posts, and say go for the bulbs. Don't worry about the alternator being the cause. If the ballasts weren't receiving enough voltage, they wouldn't even ignite the salts in the bulb, or the bulbs would flicker.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:27 AM

Come on newbie pictures would help better than use trying to use our imagination to figure it out.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Come on newbie pictures would help better than use trying to use our imagination to figure it out.
Umm, scroll up?

He already posted links to pics.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:03 PM

Do the 3m lens restoration & get morimoto or philips bulbs.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM

Oh I didn't read the other post, who does.. Use photobucket OP and post your pics that way. But i'd recommend changing both bulbs first and if you don't see any difference give that headlight a nice water sand with a 1500 grid and then buff that baby till she shines like a diamond. Good luck man
Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Oh I didn't read the other post, who does.. Use photobucket OP and post your pics that way. But i'd recommend changing both bulbs first and if you don't see any difference give that headlight a nice water sand with a 1500 grid and then buff that baby till she shines like a diamond. Good luck man
I do 1500 dry and then 3000 wet prior to buffing and they look marvelous. I just did mine last week.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys sorry for the extreme late post, i am sorry i attend an academy, so i live there during the week, no computer or cells. So, anyhow, i just order the light bulbs, and this morning i went and got the alternator tested and its under perfect condition.

I will take some pics today with sun light and no headlight on so all can see if there is any foggy lamp.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:20 PM

Chances are that the reflector are dirty, maybe a little condensation build up overtime that cause permanent spots on your reflector. Aiming makes a huge different, try that first. As far as bulb, if those are the original, then it's time for new ones for sure. Go for OEM bulbs don't get any other brand, trust me it's worth it. While you are at it, restore the lens a little, find a reputable company that can bring the high luster back. Those off the shelf restoration kit does work but nothing like using a good orbital polisher and good compound and polishing agent with combination of multi steps wet sanding. Check the seal also, those are probably rot and cracks, if they do, either open it up and re-seal or just invest in good flowable silicone to fill any voids.

Good luck.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:02 PM

they do appear to be a little dim. you can either go with bulbs to start. i would start with wetsand and buff, just in case you are having a clarity problem. i don't think you are, but you never know in process of elimination.