5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

intermittent idle issue.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

intermittent idle issue.

Hey all!
First time poster long time reader. So to start off I have a 2001, AT, Maxima. 141k. I have searched high and low for a solution to my issue and nothing has worked yet.

The issue: So randomly my car will not idle on it's own. I have the motor mounts disconnected and replaced the IAVC with a new factory one and bypassed the coolant while i was there to avoid a possible IAVC/ECM fry. The car will idle fine and be great for months at a time, then at no set distance or mileage decide to not idle. I've tried the "start in neutral" ,"O/D off", "A/C on/off", "MAF cleaning" , and Battery disconnect.
Sometimes it'll have the issue from my house to the store and then be fine when i leave the store..Other times it will last for a month. I can drive it but I have to manually keep my foot on the gas to hold the idle up while stepping on the brake at the same time.

No OBD codes.

Any ideas or suggestions?

*Side note. One of my belts sequel occasionally and I sometimes need to jump the battery. Not sure if an alternator or battery problem could be related.

Thanks ahead of time I'm looking forward to some great advice.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:37 PM

- Has the car ever had its MAF sensor replaced?
- has the car ever had an idle relearn procedure performed POST IACV install?
- Has the car thrown any CEL codes recently? If so, what?
- Does it only happen when the car is started COLD?
- Can you elaborate on the conditions that exist around the issue when it happens?
Old 02-04-2013, 03:53 PM

I have same problem on my 2000 i30t. It is frustrating because it drives great most of the time but sometimes does just what you described. The first time I ran into the problem I tightened the throttle cables so the car thought I had my foot on the gas. I have been told on here that THAT is a NO NO. Since this first happened I have had to change my starter and then about a month or so later my alternator. I don't think these caused the problem but I know replacing them didn't fix it. Maybe the problem caused those to go out. I don't know. I have been told to check the EGR but my car had a code reader hooked up to it when it was off and came back with a P0403 code. When the car is running I never have the check engine light on, even when having trouble with the idle. I have also gotten rid of the electric motor mounts. I have not tried an idle relearn yet but will. I am interested to see how you get this problem resolved with your car.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by noahrexion
- Has the car ever had its MAF sensor replaced?
- has the car ever had an idle relearn procedure performed POST IACV install?
- Has the car thrown any CEL codes recently? If so, what?
- Does it only happen when the car is started COLD?
- Can you elaborate on the conditions that exist around the issue when it happens?

- As far as I know the MAF has never been replaced.
- I did the Idle relearn WITHOUT the consult II after the IAVC install.
- No recent codes.
- No it happens randomly. Warmed up after driving for a hour or just starting up for the first time. I can't figure out a pattern.
- I use to think it would only happened after I'd have to take a turn because the first 10 times it had happened to me was right after I had taken a turn and came to a stoplight. It's done it a couple times while driving straight but it's after I get on it. ( so I will get on it or take a turn then as soon as I let off the gas instead of going back to normal idle it'll just die. Once it dies i'll have to keep the idle up on my own from there on until it decides to fix itself.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Check this link, but if you have an FSM you're better off following ALL the procedures in checking them.

I would first test your cam/crank sensors (all 3). You did replace IACV with OEM unit?

After those have been checked I would (this is just me) seriously consider buying a new OEM maf sensor if it hasn't been changed.

Report back!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Awesome. Thanks Noah. I'll check them tomorrow morning when I get off my shift. Yes the IAVC was from the Nissan dealer. I've pulled the IAVC a couple times too just to make sure the plunger is still moving.(even though there's no coolant going through it)

Yes I have the FSM too.