5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

window tinting

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 03:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

window tinting

looking for info as to what questions to ask to make sure i get a good tinting job. do not want it to look amateur. and also what about the effect to the rear window because of the defroster elements.
thanks in advance
Old 01-11-2002, 03:31 PM

Re: window tinting

Originally posted by sls_2000gxe
looking for info as to what questions to ask to make sure i get a good tinting job. do not want it to look amateur. and also what about the effect to the rear window because of the defroster elements.
thanks in advance
Brand of tint, Type of tint, one piece rear window, lifetime gaurantee. Only issue you may run into is bubbling over the rear antennae element. They have some filler stuff they use. I'm sure someone will chime in with the name/process. Welcome Aboard the Org.
Old 01-11-2002, 03:32 PM

Re: Re: window tinting

Originally posted by DenMax

Brand of tint, Type of tint, one piece rear window, lifetime gaurantee. Only issue you may run into is bubbling over the rear antennae element. They have some filler stuff they use. I'm sure someone will chime in with the name/process. Welcome Aboard the Org.
I actually beat sprite? He must be sleeping.
Old 01-11-2002, 03:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://www.tintdude.com has a good FAQ on window tinting along with all the local state laws on tint.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:30 PM

Re: window tinting

Originally posted by sls_2000gxe
thanks in advance
I'm sure the person that does your tint will tell U this but here are some after care for your tint.

1. Don't roll yor windows down, or use defrost for about 3 days.
2. Don't use windex or anything but soapy water to clean the inside
of your windows (tinted side) to avoid that purple look.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:55 PM

Re: Re: window tinting

Originally posted by perrymaxima
I'm sure the person that does your tint will tell U this but here are some after care for your tint.

1. Don't roll yor windows down, or use defrost for about 3 days.
2. Don't use windex or anything but soapy water to clean the inside
of your windows (tinted side) to avoid that purple look.
You can use window cleaners actually (you are correct in no Windex). Just be sure that you use non-Ammonia-based cleaners. Alcohol-based cleaners will not damage the windows. You can buy Alcohol-based window cleaners at most tint shops (imagine that).
Old 01-11-2002, 05:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: window tinting

Originally posted by MichaelAE

You can use window cleaners actually (you are correct in no Windex). Just be sure that you use non-Ammonia-based cleaners. Alcohol-based cleaners will not damage the windows. You can buy Alcohol-based window cleaners at most tint shops (imagine that).
O didn't know that... warm soapy water is cheap though, so I'll stick w/that.
Old 01-11-2002, 05:42 PM
Mauja He Mauja

i got mine done on the 4th generation 5% all around. but with the
5th generation 25%. i want the babes 2 be able to see me

lifetime is very important. i never use the de-fooger, after tinting the windows
Old 01-11-2002, 05:43 PM

Old 01-11-2002, 06:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: window tinting

Originally posted by DenMax

I actually beat sprite? He must be sleeping.
He never sleeps....
Old 01-11-2002, 08:51 PM

Many people recommend the metallic films. In the past they were better (lasted longer) than the straight dyed films. I've recently switched back to the dyed films because their quality is as good if not better than the metallics (no delamination problems in 6 years as with metallics) and they work better with the new high sensitivity radar detectors like the Valentine One.

Some good questions to ask are how they handle the ceramic dots around the edge of the window and do they wet or dry shrink the rear window piece, also do they remove the doors panels or just poke the rubber trim down (or tape it back). Good answers to the above are: sand and glue fill, dry shrink and remove door panels (only 4 screws on Maxs).
Old 01-11-2002, 10:15 PM

just my .02 because I also have a sunlit sand-colored 5th gen. You may not want to use the illegal tint.

Lighter the car (interior and exterior), easier it is to be spotted by cops. That way you can put 10% on a black car and it'll look "legal". I had 20% platinum and it looked gorgeous, babes were staring at my car and dudes asking questions at gas stations....but I got stopped. Also, I would refrain from anything that is mirror-like, it reflects and cops go nuts over this.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by dba1999us
i got mine done on the 4th generation 5% all around. but with the
5th generation 25%. i want the babes 2 be able to see me
lifetime is very important. i never use the de-fooger, after tinting the windows
can you rephrase that about defroster...I had to take my tint off twice already, and damaged the defroster lines...Do you think it is not important at all? I'd say so if you will be selling your car in the summer
Old 01-12-2002, 09:08 AM

Be sure that the tint man knows about the rear antenna's location. Check Broken Antenna post for rear window tint problems.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:15 AM

Oh, and metallic tint can screw with radio reception. I have no proof for that, but I have it on good authority.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Rich5Spd2K
Be sure that the tint man knows about the rear antenna's location. Check Broken Antenna post for rear window tint problems.
Rich, a little OT, but since you are local. I dont know if you heard of the local chapter of Maxima Enthusiasts club, not enough people to represent the B-more, so all of their meets are in DC area...What do you think?
Old 01-12-2002, 10:47 AM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

can you rephrase that about defroster...I had to take my tint off twice already, and damaged the defroster lines...Do you think it is not important at all? I'd say so if you will be selling your car in the summer
in all the cars i have owned, that i got tinted, i never use the
de-froster. frankly i don't see the reason to use it. i also dont need to use it, cause i park my car in my garage, so there is no frost on the windows. but if they are just fogged, it doesn't bother me. after a few miles of driving, with the rear windows open a little bit, the fog disapears it self. so y ruin the tint. cause when u run the de-froster, it puts lines in the tint, and sometimes thats what causes the air bubbles.

but thats just my thought,,others might just love using the rear de-froster
Old 01-12-2002, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by dba1999us
cause when u run the de-froster, it puts lines in the tint, and sometimes thats what causes the air bubbles.

Although that doesn't quite ring true with me, I have been avoiding my rear defroster ever since tinting. I don't have any credible evidence that it will cause damage to the tint and the, very credible, tint shop which I went to suggested no such evidence...I just keep avoiding it for no reason.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:35 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Although that doesn't quite ring true with me, I have been avoiding my rear defroster ever since tinting. I don't have any credible evidence that it will cause damage to the tint and the, very credible, tint shop which I went to suggested no such evidence...I just keep avoiding it for no reason.
you are right,,but in my 95 prelude se,,,i never used the
de-froster..my little brother was driving it, and decided to use the de-froster....and thats when all the de-froster lines became prominent,,,so i know for a fact that if u use the de-froster,,,the lines will burn into the tint paper
Old 01-12-2002, 01:49 PM

I had tint on my prev. car for 3.5 yrs and used the defroster constantly, and on my Max I used it during the cold season, never had any problems whatsoever.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:52 PM
Mauja He Mauja

I had tint on my prev. car for 3.5 yrs and used the defroster constantly, and on my Max I used it during the cold season, never had any problems whatsoever.

Old 01-12-2002, 02:21 PM

just my .02 because I also have a sunlit sand-colored 5th gen. You may not want to use the illegal tint.

Lighter the car (interior and exterior), easier it is to be spotted by cops. That way you can put 10% on a black car and it'll look "legal". I had 20% platinum and it looked gorgeous, babes were staring at my car and dudes asking questions at gas stations....but I got stopped. Also, I would refrain from anything that is mirror-like, it reflects and cops go nuts over this.
Hmm.. maybe in the south the mettalic tint is better. I've had my platinum timt 15% for a year and a half and have run into no problems. Radio reception is fine , I use the defroster a lot, and I haven't had in run ins with the law. Not that I should though, cause platinum tint is perfectly legal (I live in FL) . By the way, you can tell a difference between platinum tint and mirror. You can seen anything inside with mirror.