5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

To Ypipe or not.......(sound)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:13 AM

To Ypipe or not.......(sound)

I'll keep this brief since this topic has gotten plenty of attention already. I searched lots for exhaust threads and read that entire exhaust STICKY but most of the clips I wanted her hear were dead links!!

I currently have a 2000 SE auto, and after I recently posted my dyno numbers up, many were saying I should get a Ypipe to go up even higher. Heres my concern....I have everything 2.5inch with no restrictions from the stock Ypipe back right now, going through my stock muffler. I love the sound.....Its a low rumble at idle that almost goes away once the car is fully warm...at WOT sounds great and at midranges sounds awesome. I would NOT mind for it to be a bit louder and more ballsy.....but I would mind it it jumped to being SUPER loud and obnoxious. Id love for it to keep the same tone and bump up a little in volume.

Would the warpspeed Ypipe really make the setup that much louder assuming i keep the stock muffler on? Many people said the test pipe would make it raspy and it didnt at all. So im wondering if the same is true for a y pipe. For the Cali models it actually retains one of the two precats so Im thinking that might break up some bad resonance that would come from both being right off the manifold Anyone?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by 2kMaxim
I'll keep this brief since this topic has gotten plenty of attention already. I searched lots for exhaust threads and read that entire exhaust STICKY but most of the clips I wanted her hear were dead links!!

I currently have a 2000 SE auto, and after I recently posted my dyno numbers up, many were saying I should get a Ypipe to go up even higher. Heres my concern....I have everything 2.5inch with no restrictions from the stock Ypipe back right now, going through my stock muffler. I love the sound.....Its a low rumble at idle that almost goes away once the car is fully warm...at WOT sounds great and at midranges sounds awesome. I would NOT mind for it to be a bit louder and more ballsy.....but I would mind it it jumped to being SUPER loud and obnoxious. Id love for it to keep the same tone and bump up a little in volume.

Would the warpspeed Ypipe really make the setup that much louder assuming i keep the stock muffler on? Many people said the test pipe would make it raspy and it didnt at all. So im wondering if the same is true for a y pipe. For the Cali models it actually retains one of the two precats so Im thinking that might break up some bad resonance that would come from both being right off the manifold Anyone?
Before getting my warpspeed Ypipe put on I had an Injen CAI and a Catback from SRS, the car was deep, loud and pleasing.

After the Ypipe was added, the car sounded deep, REALLY loud, and pleasing (slight rasp between 2500-3500 rpm)

The Ypipe will definitely make it louder. Around normal traffic my car might just sound like its slightly sporty. But man... if I drive down a quiet street at night with the windows down it sounds like Im being tailed by a GT-R.

I should also add that the Ypipe did change the tone of my max, at least in my set up. It went from smooth and deep, which sounded pretty gangster imo, to more rumbly and raw (like a truck)

Last edited by NmexMAX; 02-21-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 AM

Ok... and this was through a SRS catback...so my stock muffler will be a shade quieter than yours I would think.....
Old 02-21-2013, 08:53 AM

I have the warpspeed Y with the stock exhaust and it's not really any louder than stock. it does change the tone a little bit though.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by 01bluemax
I have the warpspeed Y with the stock exhaust and it's not really any louder than stock. it does change the tone a little bit though.
Thats gonna be a little different since you still have a cat and a resonator
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 AM

I have that Y pipe that you posted a picture of in your other thread. Warpspeed makes a nice product, I would definitely get this part, it makes a world of a difference.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by 5aprilc
I have that Y pipe that you posted a picture of in your other thread. Warpspeed makes a nice product, I would definitely get this part, it makes a world of a difference.
Yes, but does it make a crazy sound difference, or a minor one....
Old 02-21-2013, 01:40 PM

Lol it will not sound like an r35 chasin you hahahaha. Through the stock cat back it will not sound much louder out the tail but you will hear a lovely growl in the cabin. I have ws y magnaflow 2.5" cat and ars 2.5" cat back with a vibrant muffler (to get rid of the cannon the ars came with) and the sound is very deep. You can hear my clips just by searching my screen name on YouTube.

What your setup will sound like is this: search YouTube "4th Gen Maxima w/ WarpSpeed Y-Pipe + SRI"

yours maybe slightly quieter since you have the stock resonator on the intake
Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
Lol it will not sound like an r35 chasin you hahahaha. Through the stock cat back it will not sound much louder out the tail but you will hear a lovely growl in the cabin. I have ws y magnaflow 2.5" cat and ars 2.5" cat back with a vibrant muffler (to get rid of the cannon the ars came with) and the sound is very deep. You can hear my clips just by searching my screen name on YouTube.

What your setup will sound like is this: search YouTube "4th Gen Maxima w/ WarpSpeed Y-Pipe + SRI"

Everyone keeps thinking I have stock catback...lol. I have stock axleback only.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

Doesn't matter, nothing really changes unless you do headers, and even then, stock muffler does a good job, but with headers and a test pipe, you'll want a resonator. With only a y-pipe, maybe if using a test pipe.

It's all subjective, and yes I know you have a DEK also.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Doesn't matter, nothing really changes unless you do headers, and even then, stock muffler does a good job, but with headers and a test pipe, you'll want a resonator. With only a y-pipe, maybe if using a test pipe.

It's all subjective, and yes I know you have a DEK also.
Cool.....ill listen to that video when i get home. Right now i have an awesome growl where you can actually hear the cylinders pulsing like a v-8. Id love if that just became louder and deeper...
Old 02-21-2013, 02:27 PM

Cool.....ill listen to that video when i get home. Right now i have an awesome growl where you can actually hear the cylinders pulsing like a v-8. Id love if that just became louder and deeper...
This is probably a horribly stupid question (or idea) i did it im my 3.9 dakota and loved it, and I have tried searching through the exhaust clips in a few threads.. out of curiousity, if I did a straight pipe axle back, would it sound like sheet? A few posts I was reading people mentioned it sounds simular to a 350( which i highly doubt), I wanna change my exhaust tone a bit, but I dont want to buy an exhaust an not be happy with it. And to be honest lots of tye exhaust clips sound like crap, wether its the phone they used to record it or my speakers or what, I dunno. and I dont want a big fart can hanging off of my rear end either. So I was either thinking an axle back straight pipe with cats and resonator in place obv. Or, getting some insight on a decent flowmaster glass pack and piping it with a nice factory-ish looking exhaust tip.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by user name001
This is probably a horribly stupid question (or idea) i did it im my 3.9 dakota and loved it, and I have tried searching through the exhaust clips in a few threads.. out of curiousity, if I did a straight pipe axle back, would it sound like sheet? A few posts I was reading people mentioned it sounds simular to a 350( which i highly doubt), I wanna change my exhaust tone a bit, but I dont want to buy an exhaust an not be happy with it. And to be honest lots of tye exhaust clips sound like crap, wether its the phone they used to record it or my speakers or what, I dunno. and I dont want a big fart can hanging off of my rear end either. So I was either thinking an axle back straight pipe with cats and resonator in place obv. Or, getting some insight on a decent flowmaster glass pack and piping it with a nice factory-ish looking exhaust tip.
I wouldnt recommend a low budget hack job. I havent even gotten a ypipe yet and im over 300$ in playing around with setups. Cheapest would be spring for an SRS catback on ebay..
Old 02-21-2013, 02:39 PM

Cool, thanks. Im not looking for a cheap route, or the cheapest setup, just something that if I didnt like it, I could return it to stock without losing out on $$ .
But thank you for your imput.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:01 PM
dot dot dot ...

The exhaust sound game for a VQ is expensive. I've gone through countless set-ups on both my 95 and 03 because of sound, not even power. Don't get too caught up in it or it will eat you alive, $$$ wise.

Buy a cat back here, add a resonator here, delete a resonator there, find a larger test pipe, HFC, headers,, the list goes on. And then there's the power factor.

Which is actually pretty funny, because the stock cat back can flow really well and support a lot of HP NA. Stock catback with headers, sounds a,azing with the VQ35, just because it was really refined, and had a really good sound to it.

But, then I wanted more power, and am really happy with my current set-up, sound and power wise. I've been through about 5 or 6 iterations in between the stock and the current and that's only on my 03, don't even get me started on my 95.

Then again, we all have different tastes.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:09 PM

Just get the Y-pipe wont get much louder with the stock muffler on there, had Headers, Fastcat, and stock exhaust at one point and you could barely tell just a little louder than stock, so Im sure you will enjoy the sound...GL....
Old 02-21-2013, 03:13 PM

The exhaust sound game for a VQ is expensive. I've gone through countless set-ups on both my 95 and 03 because of sound, not even power. Don't get too caught up in it or it will eat you alive, $$$ wise.

Buy a cat back here, add a resonator here, delete a resonator there, find a larger test pipe, HFC, headers,, the list goes on. And then there's the power factor.

Which is actually pretty funny, because the stock cat back can flow really well and support a lot of HP NA. Stock catback with headers, sounds a,azing with the VQ35, just because it was really refined, and had a really good sound to it.

But, then I wanted more power, and am really happy with my current set-up, sound and power wise. I've been through about 5 or 6 iterations in between the stock and the current and that's only on my 03, don't even get me started on my 95.

Then again, we all have different tastes.
Haha, thanks NmexMAX. Yea im not too concered about power, im happy with the way it is now, just looking for a different exhaust tone.
Ahhhh so many options... :-)
Old 02-21-2013, 03:32 PM

Yeah ive specifically been listening to my exhaust tone...at warmup..at idle...at 1/2 throttle....etc......since I've got the YPipe on the brain. Its the loudest in my garage when i first crank it for the day..and it idles high. Rolling at low-mid rpms sounds fantastic..almost same tone as 350z/G35......WOT almost all exhausts sound fantastic except the really fart can ones. All in all I'd say the stock muffler has an amazing tuned sound to it when you open up all the pipes before it. Almost surprisingly good. On the highway I have zero drone and wind noise is louder than my pipes. SO I guess that means I should clean the sand out of my **gina and just get the ypipe :P I have found the only exhausts that drone are the straight through designs.....the stock mufffler drones at very specific 100rpm area but you almost NEVER are sitting at that exact rpm for more than a millisecond.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:35 PM
dot dot dot ...

My most recent set-up before the Cattman 3" sounded great initially, but wasn't so much after it warmed up.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:48 PM

My most recent set-up before the Cattman 3" sounded great initially, but wasn't so much after it warmed up.
I agree....my car gets noticeably quieter when warm.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 PM

It'll still be quiet but it'll sound a bit weird imo lol Like its trying to force that sound but it just can't... you can look up maximas with headers and stock exhaust, there are a few 5.5 gens on there with that setup

Haha, thanks NmexMAX. Yea im not too concered about power, im happy with the way it is now, just looking for a different exhaust tone.
Ahhhh so many options... :-)
YouTube "1998 nissan maxima straight pipe" that is the closest sound to a 350z without having an equal y pipe or headers with an equal y pipe

Last edited by NmexMAX; 02-25-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:52 PM

I would be cool with that sound....that sounds bad*** Almost sounds like a supercar motor and not a Vq30. I dont think he (or you?) has test pipe and resonator delete though...unless its not listed.

YouTube "1998 nissan maxima straight pipe" that is the closest sound to a 350z without having an equal y pipe or headers with an equal y pipe
To me, that sounds nothing like a G35. I wish I had a better recorder on my camera I'd show you what mine sounds like. Throaty, burbly.......that vid sounds like a fartcan to me.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 02-25-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:30 PM

The beige maxima? With the big fart can?? Lol that sounds nothing like a 350....
Old 02-22-2013, 12:12 AM

The beige maxima? With the big fart can?? Lol that sounds nothing like a 350....
no offence but are you deaf? i'm back on the comp so i'll do video-video comparison... you can pause the first vid at 18 secs and the second and like 26 seconds and play them one after the other and you'll see

here's a 350 with a cat back from nismo, they sound pretty similar, listen to the rev down...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JjGvQq3WCs

straight pipe from the STOCK y to the tip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSG9dfIy0Oo

my setup with the "fart can" and for the record its not what makes an exhaust "farty" or raspy. especially a v6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0y98h5PJbA

this is raspy, there is no fart can... unequal y pipe with a test pipe and stillen cat back which i believe came with no resonator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiAT3QuVLng

To me, that sounds nothing like a G35. I wish I had a better recorder on my camera I'd show you what mine sounds like. Throaty, burbly.......that vid sounds like a fartcan to me.
see my above post and you'll see what is farty. its sounds a tad crackly or raspy because of not havin a cat... you could go with a resonated test pipe though. i know the deepness you talk about but its down 1/2 a liter and its a fwd setup lol just listen to the tone

I would be cool with that sound....that sounds bad*** Almost sounds like a supercar motor and not a Vq30. I dont think he (or you?) has test pipe and resonator delete though...unless its not listed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXsNiy8AiU8

ya thats the one i was talking about

Last edited by NmexMAX; 02-25-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:57 AM

The bottom one is the best by far to me. Btw you posted a 350z with an altered exhaust....lol. I mean a stock 350/G35
Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 AM

Yea thats what I was getting at as well.. a stock exhaust on a 350, or at least thats what I was thinking you were referring to..
Old 02-22-2013, 08:25 AM

this is raspy, there is no fart can... unequal y pipe with a test pipe and stillen cat back which i believe came with no resonator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiAT3QuVLng
Yeah this I would not be happy with. Thankfully the stock muffler tunes out all that revdown drone and a lot of other stuff. I love the tone I have now.....if i can keep that tone approximately, and gain the tone from that bottom video I will be psyched