5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Air Intakes Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 10:29 PM

Air Intakes Revisited

guys, there's so much stuff on intakes, I have a headache. I just read the Super Street magazine, there're ads for short ram, long intake, short intake, cold air intake, and they start as low as $60.

All I could understand from posts is that there're ones that suck in the air from under the hood and ones that get air from the hole cut in the front fender. Using one kind makes you loose your low-RPM torque and another kind give you 8hp gain at the wheels throughout the rev band. Most of your posts are arguments over the benefits, but no conclusions, no hard evidence.

Could someone sum it up, please? Are intakes interchangeable, or each of them is made for specific application? pros/cons of each. I'd like to buy an intake within 100 sometime before the summer.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

Old 01-11-2002, 11:13 PM
Telus.net

Old 01-12-2002, 10:31 AM

bump. Anyone who had dynoed his car after installin an intake.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
bump. Anyone who had dynoed his car after installin an intake.
ok...the heaviest factor is your preference..they're all about the same and do the exact same thing. for CAI, u have to drill a hole, for short ram, you don't. CAI gives u little bit better intake growl under WOT, but it seems like they top out little early(i'm speculating this is due to longer intake runner..the air needs to travel far more distance than a short-ram..IMO..so don't quote me on this). oh, and if you live in an area where alot of rain and puddles are a definite possibility, then stay away from CAI(especailly from puddles), cuz ur car might end up sucking up water..and 'boom' goes ur engine..

i've had my Stillen intake/Premier intake plenum for about 2 years. i haven't had any problems with it and it's been great. i haven't dynoed my car before my intake, so i can't really give u an exact hp gains from the intake alone. but the gains are there, especially after 3,500rpm and when combined with the y-pipe, the gains are even more noticable in the same rpm range. as far as low end power, well, sometimes u have to sacrifice one thing to gain another. and if higher top end is what ur shooting for, then ur in the good hands.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

and here are a couple pics of my short-ram intake w/ Stillen cone filter..

Old 01-12-2002, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by irvine78
and here are a couple pics of my short-ram intake w/ Stillen cone filter..

Where did you get that pipe that goes form the throttle body to the filter? Where is your MAS?
Old 01-12-2002, 01:47 PM

thanks guys for your help. Whats WOT and MAS (in GregGLE's post)?
What is RAM? Comparing the factory unit and your short tube, how can you get more HP if your Stillen unit is mounted almost behind the battery?

I agree that there're many choices, but my criteria is 1) price, 2) no drilling holes, 3) gain. I dont care about the sound it makes or appearance. Something under 100 bucks.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:48 PM

What is RAM? Comparing the factory unit and your short tube, how can you get more HP if your Stillen unit is mounted almost behind the battery?

I agree that there're many choices, but my criteria is 1) price, 2) no drilling holes, 3) gain. I dont care about the sound it makes or appearance. Something under 100 bucks.
WOT=Wide open throttle
MAS=Mass Air Sensor (I think its a temp. sensor)
Old 01-12-2002, 01:50 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Re: Air Intakes Revisited

guys, there's so much stuff on intakes, I have a headache. I just read the Super Street magazine, there're ads for short ram, long intake, short intake, cold air intake, and they start as low as $60.

All I could understand from posts is that there're ones that suck in the air from under the hood and ones that get air from the hole cut in the front fender. Using one kind makes you loose your low-RPM torque and another kind give you 8hp gain at the wheels throughout the rev band. Most of your posts are arguments over the benefits, but no conclusions, no hard evidence.

Could someone sum it up, please? Are intakes interchangeable, or each of them is made for specific application? pros/cons of each. I'd like to buy an intake within 100 sometime before the summer.

check this out5th generation intake
Old 01-12-2002, 03:36 PM

well you have already eliminated the PRCAI (cold air intake) since you don't want to drill holes. Something under $100 means you just cut stillen (unless you buy one used). That leaves possibly the frankencar (sp) ... saw a link about it a couple of days ago, but don't know much about it. You also have the JWT. It is essentially identical to the stillen except a generic filter.

So it boils down to if you want the frankencar (assuming it's under $100) or the JWT. You pick which you'd rather have.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:55 PM

I was watching Horsepower TV today on TNN. They are doing a budget project on a used Honda. They added a new header, cat, free-flow exhaust and a CAI that fits in the valence area. Their total HP gain with all this was 10hp! The price for all that stuff was almost $1000. That hardly seems worth it. Hopefully, the CAI or short pipe produces more horses in a Max.
Old 01-12-2002, 04:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Intakes will give you 5-8 hp. You really need a y-pipe to really open it up and give you about 15 hp.

Originally posted by Rich5Spd2K
I was watching Horsepower TV today on TNN. They are doing a budget project on a used Honda. They added a new header, cat, free-flow exhaust and a CAI that fits in the valence area. Their total HP gain with all this was 10hp! The price for all that stuff was almost $1000. That hardly seems worth it. Hopefully, the CAI or short pipe produces more horses in a Max.
Old 01-12-2002, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by ispeed

well you have already eliminated the PRCAI (cold air intake) since you don't want to drill holes. Something under $100 means you just cut stillen (unless you buy one used). That leaves possibly the frankencar (sp) ... saw a link about it a couple of days ago, but don't know much about it. You also have the JWT. It is essentially identical to the stillen except a generic filter.

So it boils down to if you want the frankencar (assuming it's under $100) or the JWT. You pick which you'd rather have.
I was quoted $140 for the Frankencar intake, which is a short ram style. It replaces everything up to the Throttle Body. Which means now intake resenator and a better cone filter. $140 seems like a good price for everything. The Stillen intake costs around $150 I think, and that isn't even the short ram style.
Old 01-12-2002, 06:12 PM

Does having one void your warranty?
Old 01-12-2002, 06:17 PM

now I am getting somewhere. btw I just spoke to my friend who knows someone who knows where to order intakes for 40 bucks. I can't believe this, and will look into this. Will post info if it is available to me.

Is it true that the longer the intake pipe, bigger HP gain you get?
Behind the concept of a custom air intake, more air flows in, right, but your gas mileage should suffer then, too. And yes, it voids your factory wtty..only if you're fool enough to leave it on during the visit to the dealership.