5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 SE Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 02:08 PM
swallac2

2K2 SE Hesitation

I have a new 2k2 6 Speed SE with about 700 miles on it now. I have had it since Jan 1 and have noticed something from the beginning. I'm hoping it's just the computer holding back until the car is broken in, but hell I'll ask anyway. It happens when I am moving steady in one gear (I notice it most in 3rd) and then give it a little more gas. The car hesitates for a split seconds and you can even feel it buck just a bit. The best way I can describe it is that pause in an A/T car when you step down just a bit and the torque converter unlocks. Is this normal? I have to take the car back for a mark in teh paint that was there when I bought the car, I was going to ask then. It's been my experience though that the dealer doesn't know squat when you ask, they have to see it to believe it.

I saw a TSB for the 2k/2k1 manuals but I wouldn't think that would apply to the new engine and throttle by wire.

Thanks
Steve

Old 01-13-2002, 05:51 PM

Re: 2K2 SE Hesitation

i think someone brought this up before. supposedly its normal. im curious if there is some kind of modification one car do to the throttle (at all, cheap or expensive) to try to fix that 'problem'
Old 01-13-2002, 06:07 PM
swallac2

Re: Re: 2K2 SE Hesitation

Originally posted by Newman96SE
i think someone brought this up before. supposedly its normal. im curious if there is some kind of modification one car do to the throttle (at all, cheap or expensive) to try to fix that 'problem'
God I hope this isn't normal it feels like crap!!

Old 01-13-2002, 06:27 PM
ABS

I have noticed this too. The "problem" seems to be very predictable which lead me to believe it was normal. I think there is a delay in the time it takes the computer to adjust the butterfly valve, by using a step motor, in the throttle body after you step on the gas . . . if you are told by the dealer that this is a "problem", let me know and I'll bring mine in for repair too . . .
Old 01-13-2002, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by swallac2
I have a new 2k2 6 Speed SE with about 700 miles on it now. I have had it since Jan 1 and have noticed something from the beginning. I'm hoping it's just the computer holding back until the car is broken in, but hell I'll ask anyway. It happens when I am moving steady in one gear (I notice it most in 3rd) and then give it a little more gas. The car hesitates for a split seconds and you can even feel it buck just a bit. The best way I can describe it is that pause in an A/T car when you step down just a bit and the torque converter unlocks. Is this normal? I have to take the car back for a mark in teh paint that was there when I bought the car, I was going to ask then. It's been my experience though that the dealer doesn't know squat when you ask, they have to see it to believe it.

I saw a TSB for the 2k/2k1 manuals but I wouldn't think that would apply to the new engine and throttle by wire.

Thanks
Steve
I think it might just be because its not calbed linked, but raither electronicly.
Old 01-13-2002, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by ABS
I have noticed this too. The "problem" seems to be very predictable which lead me to believe it was normal. I think there is a delay in the time it takes the computer to adjust the butterfly valve, by using a step motor, in the throttle body after you step on the gas . . . if you are told by the dealer that this is a "problem", let me know and I'll bring mine in for repair too . . .
I experience the same thing in my 6 spd. It is almost hard to detect; I attribute it to the new "drive by wire" throttle, but heck what do I know. With 1500 miles though, either I'm getting use to it, or it has minimized.

I want to know, too, if there is a "problem". srm
Old 01-13-2002, 06:39 PM
swallac2

Originally posted by Maxmann

I experience the same thing in my 6 spd. It is almost hard to detect; I attribute it to the new "drive by wire" throttle, but heck what do I know. With 1500 miles though, either I'm getting use to it, or it has minimized.

I want to know, too, if there is a "problem". srm
I would think the throttle by wire would be more precise then a cable linkage. It doesn't happen all of the time, but I would say it happens greater then 50% of the time.

Old 01-14-2002, 08:19 AM

I’m seeing the future….

It’s the 2K2’s First TSB!!!

Sounds like a simple ECU reprogram. Y’all make sure to complain nice and loudly so they do it sooner than later.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:27 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The "wifes" 330I has a similar feel. It's also drive by wire. You have to get used to that. Keep in mind that when you step on the pedal, your not opening the throttle. A signal goes to the ECU and then a stepper motor opens it up. Yes there is a very slight delay, but you do get used to it.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:19 PM

Yeah, I noticed this for the first time today with my 2k2 6spd. There hopefully will be a recall on this. Im going to call the dealer tommorow and find out the scoop, although they probably wont know based on previous experiences. I agree with the throttle by wire hypothesis though. Hey this screws up our 0-60 times dammit!
Old 01-14-2002, 06:22 PM
swallac2

Re: Re: 2K2 SE Hesitation

Originally posted by samiam5345
Yeah, I noticed this for the first time today with my 2k2 6spd. There hopefully will be a recall on this. Im going to call the dealer tommorow and find out the scoop, although they probably wont know based on previous experiences. I agree with the throttle by wire hypothesis though. Hey this screws up our 0-60 times dammit!
Please post again and let me know what they say. I would think throttle by wire would have less delay then cable actuated. It's not really a delay either, it's more like backing off the throttle and jumping back on, ever so slightly.