5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Possible Axle replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 06:14 PM

Possible Axle replacement?

Been getting a clunking/clicking sound when turning right, was told this is most likely a axle issue. noise is coming from driver side when turning, no noise when turning left. Does this sound like a axle issue?

If it is the axle I have a few question about the replacement, car is a 03 max AT.

Will transmission fluid leak when axle is pulled on the driver side, I have search and some say yes and other no. I would like to get the correct answer from some1 who has either changed it or know for sure.

Second will a wheel alignment be needed after the change?

Also will I need any of parts beside the axle?

will be getting it from advance anyone have experience with these?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...one_15870386-p
Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM

I just replaced my pass. side axle due to clunking when turning . If i made a U turn, it would clunk, crunch and squeak, the driver side is actually easier than the pass. side to replace, and if they have a lifetime warranty on the axles i would replace it . My napa pass. axle only lasted 3 years and since it only had a one year warranty , i went with one from AZ because it has a lifetime warranty on it .

Alignment isn't needed since you won't be adjusting or removing the outer tie rod lock nut,BUT if you never had one done, this is a good excuse to get one , to reset the toe back to factory specs
Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 PM

Haha! I have bought one of these (well, the MT equivalent) and had to send it back twice before I asked for my money back. All three were **** out of the box. I'd check those joints before you get it home. Just rotate it a couple times. On all three that I tried the outer joints were extremely stiff and had a popping feel when rotated. Ended up with a reman from O'reilly (also lifetime warranty). Haven't had any problems since.

Aside from that it's a fairly straight forward job.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 PM

If your Auto, I would suggest Cardone select, brand new for $55 shipped @ 123autoparts.com
Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Amave
I just replaced my pass. side axle due to clunking when turning . If i made a U turn, it would clunk, crunch and squeak, the driver side is actually easier than the pass. side to replace, and if they have a lifetime warranty on the axles i would replace it . My napa pass. axle only lasted 3 years and since it only had a one year warranty , i went with one from AZ because it has a lifetime warranty on it .

Alignment isn't needed since you won't be adjusting or removing the outer tie rod lock nut,BUT if you never had one done, this is a good excuse to get one , to reset the toe back to factory specs
I just did my out tie rod and alignment so I don't want to have to do it again. thanks.

Did tranny fluid leak during replacement?

Originally Posted by rebelhell
Haha! I have bought one of these (well, the MT equivalent) and had to send it back twice before I asked for my money back. All three were **** out of the box. I'd check those joints before you get it home. Just rotate it a couple times. On all three that I tried the outer joints were extremely stiff and had a popping feel when rotated. Ended up with a reman from O'reilly (also lifetime warranty). Haven't had any problems since.

Aside from that it's a fairly straight forward job.
Dam that bad. Did you ever get them on the car? or you just didn't like the feel of them.

Originally Posted by 03VQMAX
If your Auto, I would suggest Cardone select, brand new for $55 shipped @ 123autoparts.com
Thanks for sugeestion I will check it out.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:04 PM

anyone know if transmission fluid will leak when replacing the driver side axle. I want to do this weekend.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by gotendbz1
anyone know if transmission fluid will leak when replacing the driver side axle. I want to do this weekend.
Definitely will on the MT, not sure about your AT.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:03 PM

Yes. And it wont stop leaking until you put the new axle in. I laid the new axle across my chest when I pulled the old one out. Makes it a little quicker to put in. Also, I recommend putting the tranny in neutral before putting the new axle in. This way you can rotate it so it slides in nice and easy. If it doesn't slide in, turn the axle and try again.

Also, the FSM says you 'have' to remove the passenger side axle before you put in the driver side axle. I didn't, nothing's broke yet.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by BlackThornDemon
Also, the FSM says you 'have' to remove the passenger side axle before you put in the driver side axle. I didn't, nothing's broke yet.
It only says this because there is no place to pry the axle out on the AT. They expect you to pound it through from the passenger side. I had more problems getting the passenger side out with that damn bearing support seized.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:39 PM

Dam that bad. Did you ever get them on the car? or you just didn't like the feel of them.
Here's what happened...
I bought a NEW axle from AutoZone. I didn't like the way the outer joint felt so I took it back. They couldn't get me another for several days but Advance was happy to overnight one. Got the NEW axle from Advance and it felt the same. I thought maybe I was wrong and it was supposed to feel like scraping forks across a cheese grater. I put this one on the car and pop pop pop around every corner. I went to Advance and bought a second one (I didn't want to take the one off of the car yet because Red Line MT-85 is expensive ****). When it came in it had the exact same feel. I just told them to send it back and got my money back. Went across the street to O'reilly's and ordered a REMAN axle. Worked great, slapped it in and haven't had a problem since.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 PM

I replaced both axles & seals on my 97 auto last Oct and only had a few drips. I just replaced the left axle on my 2000 auto Monday and didn't have any oil until I popped the oil seal out. Then I had oil dribbling out until I got the new seal in place.