5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A real Tune-Up!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:47 AM

A real Tune-Up!

I was given a 01' GLE..202693 miles..no real issues , I'm thinkn about doing a full Tune Up
Should I go to the dealer or D.I.Y..if DIY..what do you guys recommend as far as ..coils
...gas line filters
..Mobile1 with lucas Oil
Royal Purple with lucas Oil...
I put KYB's so far ,but is there something better
And if I missed anything else or if you recommend something..please let me know
Thanks
Old 05-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Don't waste time with the Lucas treatment. Not bad manufacturer, but its not going to help you. I do use Lucas fuel treatment and have consistently noted improved mpg when used. I go through one large bottle over the summer, use a little each fill up through the summer.

Use the oil brand you trust, just don't cheap out and get the autozone or Walmart branded stuff. Valveline, Castrol, Mobil....all good stuff, IMO. I just go with whichever has the best deal. With the mileage you reported, your car will not benefit from the most expensive oil, nor full synthetic (assuming the car has not been maintained on full synthetic). Unless someone has a built engine in top shape, running Redline or Royal Purple, or Amsoil each change is ignorant from a cost a cost benifit stance. Though, I do suggest upgrading to a better filter....Fram is crap. Wix filters top rated. But, Mobil and K&N highly rated as well. I just can't justify the cost of the K&N.

Do you know for a fact you need coils? If so, then do get oem parts. But, installing takes little skill and may be on your level, but I don't know you.

In line fuel filter? If I'm not mistaken the filter is in the tank like on the 5.5gen. Can be replaced, but not necessary and will take some skill due to the dangerousness of the job and fragility of the system. I've heard guys easily mess up their assembly doing this job.

Although I did not use to think this way, a great maintenance item overlooked are the brakes. I suggest green stuff or Hawk HPS pads. Make sure they are HPS and not HPS plus. Stopping power is well improved.

Last edited by Chris Gregg; 05-19-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:46 PM

You can do the tune up yourself depending on how skillful you are. As far as oil, I would do the same as the other person has said. Get some good name branded oil and a good filter not fram. I personally use castrol syntec and a wix filter or mobil 1 in my 5.5 gen. Check and change your fluids check you spark plugs. How do you know you need to change your coils? Also clean your throttlebody too, youll definatley notice a difference if it hasnt been changed. Check your front end as well as far as suspension components wearing out. All depends on how much you want to spend for a tune up.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Don't waste time with the Lucas treatment. Not bad manufacturer, but its not going to help you. I do use Lucas fuel treatment and have consistently noted improved mpg when used. I go through one large bottle over the summer, use a little each fill up through the summer.

Use the oil brand you trust, just don't cheap out and get the autozone or Walmart branded stuff. Valveline, Castrol, Mobil....all good stuff, IMO. I just go with whichever has the best deal. With the mileage you reported, your car will not benefit from the most expensive oil, nor full synthetic (assuming the car has not been maintained on full synthetic). Unless someone has a built engine in top shape, running Redline or Royal Purple, or Amsoil each change is ignorant from a cost a cost benifit stance. Though, I do suggest upgrading to a better filter....Fram is crap. Wix filters top rated. But, Mobil and K&N highly rated as well. I just can't justify the cost of the K&N.

Do you know for a fact you need coils? If so, then do get oem parts. But, installing takes little skill and may be on your level, but I don't know you.

In line fuel filter? If I'm not mistaken the filter is in the tank like on the 5.5gen. Can be replaced, but not necessary and will take some skill due to the dangerousness of the job and fragility of the system. I've heard guys easily mess up their assembly doing this job.

Although I did not use to think this way, a great maintenance item overlooked are the brakes. I suggest green stuff or Hawk HPS pads. Make sure they are HPS and not HPS plus. Stopping power is well improved.
Walmart oil is made by Quaker State. Oreilly's is Castrol... Just saying.

OP get a quality WIX or equivalent oil filter and a 5 quart jug of whatver oil you want. Walmart usually is the cheapest for these things. If you do happen to attempt to do a spark plug change, get NGK Iridiums are our cars use these from the factory. You shouldn't need coils unless you are having problems such as a misfire or dead cylinder. Rule of thumb, if it ain't broke, DON'T TOUCH IT. I have a 2000 SE with 160k on the clock and regularly use the original Castrol (white bottle) 10w-30 Dino oil and a wix filter. Never had a problem and my oil is never black when I change it (every 3k miles). These engines are a bit of schedule skanks, so keep up on routine maintenance.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by requiem4488

Walmart oil is made by Quaker State. Oreilly's is Castrol... Just saying.

OP get a quality WIX or equivalent oil filter and a 5 quart jug of whatver oil you want. Walmart usually is the cheapest for these things. If you do happen to attempt to do a spark plug change, get NGK Iridiums are our cars use these from the factory. You shouldn't need coils unless you are having problems such as a misfire or dead cylinder. Rule of thumb, if it ain't broke, DON'T TOUCH IT. I have a 2000 SE with 160k on the clock and regularly use the original Castrol (white bottle) 10w-30 Dino oil and a wix filter. Never had a problem and my oil is never black when I change it (every 3k miles). These engines are a bit of schedule skanks, so keep up on routine maintenance.
correction NGK DOUBLE PLATINUM

Last edited by DjHackStyle; 05-20-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DjHackStyle
correction NGK DOUBLE PLATINUM
+1

Also check you power steering belt and serpentine belt, nothing worse that snapping a belt in the middle of no where especially since it is a fairly cheap maintenance item.

check all your levels and top them of (brakes, coolant, transmission fluid, engine fluid)

also check you battery.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:17 PM

Brake fluid should be changed every 3 years.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:03 AM

A real tune up

Thank you for the info..
I had a feeling that Lucas wasnt really gonna make a difference now, but all the other info well noted...especailly the gas additive ...Thank you Chris

Requiem..your right, I was just thinkn of getting ahead with changing the coils..the car is not misfiring (knock on wood)!

Maxx.....I'm about to change the lower control arms and front bar bushings (which ones do you recommend)..I put a sway bar is the back already and should I clean the throtlle body or just buy a new one and the Mass Air Flow sensor clean it or buy a new as well?

NsnRider.... Thanks alot abt the Coolant....I'm going to flush it

Thanks everybody

Last edited by Kevin Ellis; 05-22-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:21 AM

the fuel filter should be replaced, easy 1-3 MPG. It's not that hard at all. and I respectfully dissagree with ChrisGregg as I dont' see it being that dangerous/sketchy of a job.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:06 AM

Change as many fluids as you can.

Brakes, DOT3
Tranny...DO NOT Flush, just drop and replace with same amount. If u dropped 3.5 Qts, put in 3.5 Qts of fresh tranny fluid.
Power steering....drain and fill. I use a turkey baster for my car and sucked most of the fluid out of the reservoir.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Its not dangerous as long as you know what you doing
Old 05-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lucas wont make that much of a different
Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 AM

a real tune up

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Change as many fluids as you can.

Brakes, DOT3
Tranny...DO NOT Flush, just drop and replace with same amount. If u dropped 3.5 Qts, put in 3.5 Qts of fresh tranny fluid.
Power steering....drain and fill. I use a turkey baster for my car and sucked most of the fluid out of the reservoir.
Thanks Dwapenyi...
I wasnt gonna mess with the tranny oil..I figure what oil in there has built up enough minerals to keep it together and running strong..car shifts when it suppose to..but, but (holdn up 1 finger) lol..if I do change..how do you change it and what tranny oil would you recommend?

Another question...I reading some post that a grounding kit is benefical as well (better lighting..radio...idling/starting.. do any of you guys have one in your vehicle ?

Last edited by Kevin Ellis; 05-22-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:41 AM

yes a grounding kit yet subtle is awesome ! I definately recommend it on an aged car!! go for it. I have it and it was one of my fav mods when considering its cost to value
Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 AM

a real tune up

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
yes a grounding kit yet subtle is awesome ! I definately recommend it on an aged car!! go for it. I have it and it was one of my fav mods when considering its cost to value

Prophecy, Thanks
Your set up is off the chain, I'm going to look up Blehmco Grounding Kit or Stillen's..and try to keep up with you....when it grows up, I want it to be like yours!

I see the stillen is $95 , but tell me this...how thick should the wires be..(gauge) 10MM or thicker?
Have you ever heard of : VISION GROUND WIRE KIT BLUE

Last edited by Kevin Ellis; 05-22-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Ellis
Prophecy, Thanks
Your set up is off the chain, I'm going to look up Blehmco Grounding Kit or Stillen's..and try to keep up with you....when it grows up, I want it to be like yours!

I see the stillen is $95 , but tell me this...how thick should the wires be..(gauge) 10MM or thicker?
Have you ever heard of : VISION GROUND WIRE KIT BLUE
Thanks!
i am not sure if blehmco makes anything any more , but contact a member named Shinjiduo around here who makes them

stillen's grounding kit is over priced I don't recommend it for this mod , haven't heard of vision ground wire kit either. I am guessing it is universal. I would get one made for our cars, or make your own based on what others do. There should be some DIY grounding kit somewhere on the org.

Good Luck and post ur impressions! Don't forget to try to do the fuel filter replacement.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:23 PM

Thanks Dwapenyi...
I wasnt gonna mess with the tranny oil..I figure what oil in there has built up enough minerals to keep it together and running strong..car shifts when it suppose to..but, but (holdn up 1 finger) lol..if I do change..how do you change it and what tranny oil would you recommend?

Another question...I reading some post that a grounding kit is benefical as well (better lighting..radio...idling/starting.. do any of you guys have one in your vehicle ?
For tranny I just use Dexron III or equivalent.....as recommended in the manual. Now this is for the 4th gen and I imagine that the 5th gen is the same, but doublecheck. Also, the most visible symptom that your fluid is tired is how the car downshifts. With tired tranny fluid, you get the sense that you have to push the accelerator pedal just a bit more than normal to get the car to downshift.
When I did my buddy's automatic I30 he noticed that the tranny was much happier downshifting after the fluid change. He just push the pedal lightly, the car would more quickly and smoothly go down from 4 to 3, then off to the races

As for grounding kit, just build your own. I did. I bought a few battery cables and hooked everything up. Follow the guidelines from one of the kits, like this one;

http://www.vqpower.com/v3/content/hy...ounding-system
Old 05-24-2013, 09:33 AM

^^ Dextron III is correct for 5th gens too,
Old 05-24-2013, 10:31 AM

Thanks!
i am not sure if blehmco makes anything any more , but contact a member named Shinjiduo around here who makes them

stillen's grounding kit is over priced I don't recommend it for this mod , haven't heard of vision ground wire kit either. I am guessing it is universal. I would get one made for our cars, or make your own based on what others do. There should be some DIY grounding kit somewhere on the org.

Good Luck and post ur impressions! Don't forget to try to do the fuel filter replacement.
Thanks Prophecy for the info again....I put some Lucas fuel treatment last night ( I use Exxon 89...93 octane waste of money, just burns faster..Mobil makes it feel sluggish...same company but for some odd reason Exxon is better....Shell..she coughs..lol I Mean if the car was able to look at me..she would have a look like the hell is this mud you putting in me..Hess is water..I mean straight Poland Springs,lol

Last edited by Kevin Ellis; 05-24-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:44 AM

^^ Dextron III is correct for 5th gens too,
Dwapenyi..thanks for the info..would you recommend that I use Lucas Transmission Conditioner or any other additive with the Dextron or just by itself

Last edited by Kevin Ellis; 05-24-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:29 PM

Thanks Prophecy for the info again....I put some Lucas fuel treatment last night ( I use Exxon 89...93 octane waste of money, just burns faster..Mobil makes it feel sluggish...same company but for some odd reason Exxon is better....Shell..she coughs..lol I Mean if the car was able to look at me..she would have a look like the hell is this mud you putting in me..Hess is water..I mean straight Poland Springs,lol
I use 93 from Shell
Old 05-24-2013, 05:05 PM

Forget the Lucas y'all. TC-W3!!!

It's the God particle of fuel additives LOL!

I use it in the form of Walmart SuperTech 2 cycle oil, here;

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech...allon/16795065

Here's the thread on the org about it:
http://forums.maxima.org/fluids-lubr...itive-new.html