5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Paint question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 10:12 AM

Paint question

If Nissan does decide to repaint our cars. Will it lower the value of our cars since it's being repainted ?
Old 01-14-2002, 10:16 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Paint question

Nope

Originally posted by awsker
If Nissan does decide to repaint our cars. Will it lower the value of our cars since it's being repainted ?
Old 01-14-2002, 10:20 AM

yes

Yes, A repainted car is never as good, or worth as much, as one painted at the factory.

They will just paint over everything and not disassemble. Cars painted new are painted before assembly. They will most likelt sand down the hood and roof, etc and repaint.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:24 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: yes

So a max w/ crappy factory failing paint is worth more than one that's been repainted though a factory program?

Originally posted by theMax
Yes, A repainted car is never as good, or worth as much, as one painted at the factory.

They will just paint over everything and not disassemble. Cars painted new are painted before assembly. They will most likelt sand down the hood and roof, etc and repaint.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:32 AM

Re: Re: yes

Originally posted by Jeff92se
So a max w/ crappy factory failing paint is worth more than one that's been repainted though a factory program?

A car that has factory paint is worth more than one thats been repainted.

I agree, if the car's paint is in poor condition, repainting will add value, but still be below a car that still has good factory paint.

Also, factory re-paints are done at a body shop and vary greatly in quality. Some dealers have body shops but most contract the work out (to the lowest bidder).
Old 01-14-2002, 10:36 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: yes

It depends on the paint job. If you get it done by professionals, it will increase the value of the car. But it will cost you about $4000-$5000 to do it(and you won't get it back)

In this case, we assume it's either leave the crappy paint alone or have it repaited. In this case, the car will be worth more repainted.

In general I agree with you but in this case, he would have a more valubla car in the end.

A car that has factory paint is worth more than one thats been repainted.

I agree, if the car's paint is in poor condition, repainting will add value, but still be below a car that still has good factory paint.

Also, factory re-paints are done at a body shop and vary greatly in quality. Some dealers have body shops but most contract the work out (to the lowest bidder).
Old 01-14-2002, 10:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: yes

It depends on the paint job. If you get it done by professionals, it will increase the value of the car. But it will cost you about $4000-$5000 to do it(and you won't get it back)

In this case, we assume it's either leave the crappy paint alone or have it repaited. In this case, the car will be worth more repainted.

In general I agree with you but in this case, he would have a more valubla car in the end.

Do you think if nissan mass paints a bunch of cars they will do a really good ($4k) job? Will they sand down and retreat the metal? Will they do inside the door jams? I've had some paint work done at different dealers and none of them was done right the first time. Granted I am very picky and noticed things like drips and dimples.

As for me, If nissan asked to repaint my car I would take a credit becuse my paint is not that bad.

...but if my paint was bad, I'd let them repaint it and not accept the work until it was done right.

Bottom line is it is a risk. But then again, if you sell your repainted car and don't tell anyone. who's to know????
Old 01-14-2002, 10:53 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: yes

A quality paint job does NOT require taking paint down to the metal. Usually the offending paint does not really affect the door jambs as they are not nearly as exposed to the elements. so in general they do not need to be repainted.

$4k? Of course not. But then again, this was a reference to your point about "cars that are repainted decrease in value". That general statement is not really true all the time.

But I agree in general about Nissan just going to whoever is cheapest. I would have to negotiate who is doing the work and say something "I paid xxx amount to have the paint to a certain quality level. I expect the repaint to be at or above that quality level".

Do you think if nissan mass paints a bunch of cars they will do a really good ($4k) job? Will they sand down and retreat the metal? Will they do inside the door jams? I've had some paint work done at different dealers and none of them was done right the first time. Granted I am very picky and noticed things like drips and dimples.

As for me, If nissan asked to repaint my car I would take a credit becuse my paint is not that bad.

...but if my paint was bad, I'd let them repaint it and not accept the work until it was done right.

Bottom line is it is a risk. But then again, if you sell your repainted car and don't tell anyone. who's to know????
Old 01-14-2002, 04:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: yes

A quality paint job does NOT require taking paint down to the metal. Usually the offending paint does not really affect the door jambs as they are not nearly as exposed to the elements. so in general they do not need to be repainted.

$4k? Of course not. But then again, this was a reference to your point about "cars that are repainted decrease in value". That general statement is not really true all the time.

But I agree in general about Nissan just going to whoever is cheapest. I would have to negotiate who is doing the work and say something "I paid xxx amount to have the paint to a certain quality level. I expect the repaint to be at or above that quality level".

You don't have to take it down to the metal unless the primer is whats defective. This is what happened to my ford.

Let me caviat my orginal statement...a car that is repainted is worth less than one that has not been repainted with an average paint job. If there is damage, repairing by repainting will help the car's worth.

Maybe a repainted car is better, but I think public perception is that repainting is bad. I've noticed that cars with their orginal paint go for much more that repainted cars. My friend got a good deal on a 93 rx7 because it was repainted.

If you had a choice to buy a car that had paint work or one without which one would you buy?
Old 01-14-2002, 05:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Where did you guys hear that they might be repainting our cars? My grey lustre literally has hundreds of deep scratches, chips, etc.. I was going to bring it to a body shop but if Nissan wants to pay for it, that would save me a lot of money.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:34 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: yes

If the repaint looked like crap, I would laugh at the guy. If the repaint was done at a shop that serves BMW/Mercedes/Porsche cars, then I would be more willing.

You don't have to take it down to the metal unless the primer is whats defective. This is what happened to my ford.

Let me caviat my orginal statement...a car that is repainted is worth less than one that has not been repainted with an average paint job. If there is damage, repairing by repainting will help the car's worth.

Maybe a repainted car is better, but I think public perception is that repainting is bad. I've noticed that cars with their orginal paint go for much more that repainted cars. My friend got a good deal on a 93 rx7 because it was repainted.

If you had a choice to buy a car that had paint work or one without which one would you buy?
Old 01-15-2002, 03:12 PM

Nissan (actually Imperial Collision) is in the process of repainting half of my black 2k2 SE. Nissan will warranty the work just like the factory warranty and Imperial warranties the work for the life of the car (better coverage than Nissan's).

In most places they do not have to go down to the metal, only the base coat. Only the doors, hood and bumpers will be original paint (which is quite good, no chips - surprise, surprise!)

IMHO the BASF R-M paint being used is better than the water based factory paint. As long as I can not tell which panels were repainted, then I consider myself ahead of the game and wouldn't even mention it to prospective buyers down the road.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: yes

If the repaint looked like crap, I would laugh at the guy. If the repaint was done at a shop that serves BMW/Mercedes/Porsche cars, then I would be more willing.

Aww, but at those kind of shops you still have to be careful. Had a 95 BMW painted last year at a shop that only does BMW's and Mercedes and the paint on the passenger door is already chipping of not to mention what the hood/grill area looks like already. Just be sure you investigate first as with all other things. Wish I had