5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Many things needing fixed, many questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 AM

Many things needing fixed, many questions...

I just had my car inspected and I have a laundry list of things that need to be done and none are really cheap.

First I have a 2003 Maxima SE with about 130k miles on it. I have a few things that need to be fixed but I'm wondering if there are things I should replace while I'm doing a certain job.

1) My power steering pump is leaking. They said the pump itself they didn't say anything about the hoses. If I'm replacing the power steering pump should I also replace the hoses at the same time? I know the hoses aren't cheap, neither is the pump. Does anyone know approx how much a re-manufactured pump will cost?

2) My rack and pinion is leaking, that's very expensive, but it's just barely weeping so that may go to the end of my priority list. I was told to replace the outer tie rod ends at the same time. Anything else I should be doing when I get this job done?

3) My passenger's side axle needs replacing the boot is torn and not much grease left they said. Anything else I should be doing when I get this job done?

4) Rear valve cover gasket is leaking. I was thinking about going with the 6th gen VCs and gaskets. Also, even though I'm not having any problems with them at the moment, should I replace the coil packs in the rear or both rear and front, I know it's expensive but considering the amount of miles I have on my car, should I do it? Does anyone know the part number for the plenum gasket for the intake manifold?

That's about it at the moment. I'm a relative noob at all of this and I wish I could do the work myself, but I live in an apartment and don't have very many tools or expertise. I would be a little intimidated to do the valve covers out of fear of making something worse.

Any suggestions of things I should do while getting some of these jobs done would be great.

Also, if anyone knows a good trust-worthy, reasonably priced mechanic in the Burbank, CA area or know a good .org member that does this kind of work please let me know.

Thanks again .org. This place has been a wealth of information in keeping my max running smoothly.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:14 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by lapdog12
1) My power steering pump is leaking. They said the pump itself they didn't say anything about the hoses. If I'm replacing the power steering pump should I also replace the hoses at the same time? I know the hoses aren't cheap, neither is the pump. Does anyone know approx how much a re-manufactured pump will cost?
So, they verified this? I would double check, since the hose is a lot more common. And I am of the opinion, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Of course that's said with common sense, and the PS hose isn't a huge PITA, but I'd verify the pump is leaking first. My 95's pump is the same one I bought it with 13 years ago, and it's fine. Replaced the hose a time or 2, pump is fine.

2) My rack and pinion is leaking, that's very expensive, but it's just barely weeping so that may go to the end of my priority list. I was told to replace the outer tie rod ends at the same time. Anything else I should be doing when I get this job done?
Again, are you sure about this? Might be just the or a random hose. Reman'd steering racks are relatively cheap and aren't too difficult. With that said, I'd look into inner and outer tie rods for the time being. Oftentimes a PS hos leak will deteriorate the bushings on the LCA and other suspension components and fixing that will net a lot of positives.

3) My passenger's side axle needs replacing the boot is torn and not much grease left they said. Anything else I should be doing when I get this job done?
Straightforward, should be fine.

4) Rear valve cover gasket is leaking. I was thinking about going with the 6th gen VCs and gaskets. Also, even though I'm not having any problems with them at the moment, should I replace the coil packs in the rear or both rear and front, I know it's expensive but considering the amount of miles I have on my car, should I do it? Does anyone know the part number for the plenum gasket for the intake manifold?
I'd replace the plugs before I did the coils. Might as well do all 6 while you're doing that job, and 6tgh gen VC's are the way to go.

That's about it at the moment. I'm a relative noob at all of this and I wish I could do the work myself, but I live in an apartment and don't have very many tools or expertise. I would be a little intimidated to do the valve covers out of fear of making something worse.
Be sure to read the How To's on here and the most important thing to remember is do not over torque the bolts.

Also, if anyone knows a good trust-worthy, reasonably priced mechanic in the Burbank, CA area or know a good .org member that does this kind of work please let me know. .
Lots of members in SoCal. Might want to check the local forum.

Glad my car at 131k has been this nice to me.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 AM

Thanks for your help NmexMAX. They brought me under the car to show me the different leaks. I only saw fluid on the power steering pump, not a lot, but some, and it was only on the pump.

As for the rack and pinion, again I only saw fluid on the silver box (sorry I'm a noob) and it was just a little bit, not much.

I've already replaced the spark plugs at 100,000 miles just like it said to do. So you are saying NOT to do the coil packs or DO the coil packs while you have it open? I think you said, if it ain't broke don't fix it and I get that, just being preventative. Would like to keep this max running as long as I can.

I will certainly go with the 6th gen VCs.

Thanks again for your time.

I don't have a jack or jack stands but this is the best I could do to get pics of my power steering pump. I didn't notice any oil along the power steering hoses but they are wrapped up pretty well.

It's just hard to tell if its the pump or the hoses going to the pump.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/nh7p.jpg/

Last edited by NmexMAX; 06-19-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:07 PM

Maybe time for a new car
Old 06-19-2013, 01:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by george__
Maybe time for a new car
Come on man, really? For a PS hose, steering rack, and new VC's? I could see if he had an oil burning rust bucket, but the maintenance stated is very cheap and easy, and in some cases, might not even be necessary.

I say do the VC's, and leave the coil packs alone. And also leave the plugs alone if you've already done them 30k ago.

I've got 131k, and still going strong. Only replaced 1 MAF with a used 55$ unit I bought off here at 90k.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:51 PM

^
OP would be paying someone to do the work though, still cheaper than finding another Maxima?
Old 06-19-2013, 03:55 PM

^
Yes, I will more than likely have to pay someone to do some of the jobs unless I find a person on the ORG willing to help me out. I'm not afraid to get dirty just worry about messing something up.

This car is mint inside and mostly mint outside. I also keep it very well maintained. I know what's ahead of me with this car, getting something else I'm back to the unknown.

That's why I would rather do the work, when I can afford it and keep my current car.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:14 PM

Do it yourself
Old 06-19-2013, 04:16 PM

trust me george, i would love to. i don't have all the tools and/or the know how. wish you lived in Socal so you could help me.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 PM

If you have basic hand tools you should be able to change the passenger side axle no problem. I changed mine about 2 months ago, only tools I needed (aside from basics) were the axle nut and a breaker bar. I purchased both for abou $30 I think, not bad considering most shops will charge 1.5 or 2 hours at $90+ per. Changed it in about 2 hours in my apartment parking lot.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Claybob86
If you have basic hand tools you should be able to change the passenger side axle no problem. I changed mine about 2 months ago, only tools I needed (aside from basics) were the axle nut and a breaker bar. I purchased both for abou $30 I think, not bad considering most shops will charge 1.5 or 2 hours at $90+ per. Changed it in about 2 hours in my apartment parking lot.
This...

I did a clutch on the side of the street one time (I didn't have a driveway), a drive shaft should be nothing. Hit up Harbor Freight for some cheap tools. You should be able to do your own valve covers for that matter. Removing the intake looks A LOT worse than it actually is.