5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

to those of you with USA Spec

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:03 PM

to those of you with USA Spec

I am thinking about adding the USA Spec adapter. I noticed the tape sounds better then CD. What I mean is if I crank the CD the volume limited kicks in fairly early cutting Bass and Treble. The Tape lets me get much louder before it limits. What is everyone's experience with the USA Spec?
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 PM

I think the problem is the relatively old antenna technology in the car. I have a USA Spec in my car, but I can't use it with my iPhone.

If anyone has any suggestions to get it to work with my iphone let me know.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:14 PM

threadjack = bad. what does an antenna have to do with USA Spec?
You need to provide more details other than it doesn't work.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by gapboi210
I am thinking about adding the USA Spec adapter. I noticed the tape sounds better then CD. What I mean is if I crank the CD the volume limited kicks in fairly early cutting Bass and Treble. The Tape lets me get much louder before it limits. What is everyone's experience with the USA Spec?
I have the BOSE system and tape deck sucks *** and the CD is pretty decent. I got tired of buring CDs and grabbed one of those tabe deck to headphone adapter for my phone, it was quieter than the CD and lacked some of the quality/detail to the sound. I suppose it could be the adapter but, i'm already looking to see if i can add an auxiliary input to the stock head unit.

EDIT: I'm assuming USA Spec means the US version of the maxima.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
I have the BOSE system and tape deck sucks *** and the CD is pretty decent. I got tired of buring CDs and grabbed one of those tabe deck to headphone adapter for my phone, it was quieter than the CD and lacked some of the quality/detail to the sound. I suppose it could be the adapter but, i'm already looking to see if i can add an auxiliary input to the stock head unit.

EDIT: I'm assuming USA Spec means the US version of the maxima.
No, he's from San Antonio.

http://www.usaspec.com/

The Bose in these Maximas is outdated, over a decade old. . I remember searching not too long ago and finding a member that did the iPhone conversion deal on his 5th gen.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

The Bose in these Maximas is outdated, over a decade old. . I remember searching not too long ago and finding a member that did the iPhone conversion deal on his 5th gen.
I would just replace the whole thing. The cheap clarion I put in blows the Bose away. No highs, no lows, must be Bose..
Old 08-07-2013, 09:14 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
I would just replace the whole thing. The cheap clarion I put in blows the Bose away. No highs, no lows, must be Bose..
Got a PN for that? Been needing to replace mine for way too long. No lights and only the steering controls work.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:38 AM

Clarion has a single din unit CZ102, list $99

This place is $69 shipped -
http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...FY5r7Aodil4AQQ
Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 AM
dot dot dot ...

How does that look in place of the Blows?
Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 PM

....great
Old 08-07-2013, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

but, damn does it sound good, specially compared most of the cars i ride in you can hear so muhc more detail.i may just have to replace the head unit found a thread packed full of the how to info. sorry i'm off topic.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:23 PM

11 posts and no answer....
Old 08-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Bad *** Newb

The solution is to replace that pathetic excuse of a head unit. Clarion really outdid themselves selling that pile-o-crap. And why does nissan keep using blose? WHY WHY WHY?! I could **** a better system.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 PM

Alternative

I am relatively new to my max, but coming from a 99 Altima I thought the Bose sounded great. At first I was using one of those tape -> aux adapters but it was old and squeaky.

I did however do the hardwire aux to tape mod http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...aux-input.html
And I am very happy with it
Old 08-07-2013, 11:24 PM

well what is considered good? i know the speakers aren't complete, i can definitely hear the extra clarity for sure, i can hear sound effects and instruments i can't hear in any of the other cars my family drives.

it seems to me the weakest link would be the clarion head unit specially with it being so update, not having an auxiliary input, mp3 disc support to blue tooth.

are there any popular head units, or just certain features to look for?

EDIT: why is the CD player called a CD changer? as far as i can tell my 01 only holds 1 CD.

Last edited by cdoublejj; 08-07-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:28 AM

You should just get a aftermarket double din dvd/radio. Looks and sounds much better. Paired with a new amplifier, even the factory bose components will sound better.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:25 PM

If you can find it, get the AudioLink PD4....you can get it on ebay sometimes for $30. BEST BOSE ADAPTER, by FAR.

I have it in my system. My aftermarket Clarion double din HU with ipod integration is hooked up to the existing Bose/Amps/speakers. Audiophile sound. Bass thumps AND the PD4 woke up my completely stock tweeters, too. They sizzle. I didnt expect that with the tweeters but was happy for the improvement.

When it was new, the PD4 sold for $200 and no one bought it, except me They went out of business...which is now a good thing for you guys.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:46 PM

at this time I am not looking to replace the head unit. espcially since there does not seem to be a kit that looks good.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by TriniSpeC
You should just get a aftermarket double din dvd/radio. Looks and sounds much better. Paired with a new amplifier, even the factory bose components will sound better.
okat at first i was like what then the guy below mnetioned the audiolink PD4 which when i googled, allows you to hook an amp to the stock BOSE speakers, which for those seeing this post form a Google search that don't know there is an amp hooked to back of each speaker

i'm guessing you it will sound better either way weather you use a simple harness to bypass the new head units amp and lets bose take over or weather you use the PD4.

being poor i'm tempted to solder in my own axillary input via the cassette circuit.

however, http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...aux-input.html

that head unit looks different than mine. i'm thinking it may not work for my 01.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:39 PM

okat at first i was like what then the guy below mnetioned the audiolink PD4 which when i googled, allows you to hook an amp to the stock BOSE speakers......
The beauty of the PD4 is that it takes the clean,LINE-OUT signal from an aftermarket radio, does this thing which I like to call "BOSEFIES" the signal, then finally feeds that signal to the Bose Amps/speakers.

The disadvantage to other Bose adapters is that they take the signal from the power amplifier. In other words they take the signal that was amplified AND distorted, reduce it to line level again, only to then be amplified and distorted again before finally hitting the speakers.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
The beauty of the PD4 is that it takes the clean,LINE-OUT signal from an aftermarket radio, does this thing which I like to call "BOSEFIES" the signal, then finally feeds that signal to the Bose Amps/speakers.

The disadvantage to other Bose adapters is that they take the signal from the power amplifier. In other words they take the signal that was amplified AND distorted, reduce it to line level again, only to then be amplified and distorted again before finally hitting the speakers.

you need go back and look at the BOSe section again, there two kinds of harness the first which does exactly what you said and second one that does the opposite it takes the line out signal before it hits the head unit's amp, by passes the head unit amp and diverts it straight to the bose speaker/amps. it is a simple plug and play harness that costs 24 bucks.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:56 AM

you need go back and look at the BOSE section again, there two kinds of harness the first which does exactly what you said and second one that does the opposite it takes the line out signal before it hits the head unit's amp, by passes the head unit amp and diverts it straight to the bose speaker/amps. it is a simple plug and play harness that costs 24 bucks.
Re-read my statement carefully. Taking a standard line-out signal from an aftermarket HU and feeding it straight to a BOSE amp doesn't sound good at all. That's why that adapter costs "only" $24.00

The PD4 correctly BOSEfies the standard line-out signal from any HU (JVC, Clarion, Alpine, or whatever) and feeds it to the Bose amps. THE PD4 was too expensive for most people before, but is cheap as dirt now, if you can find one. Well worth it IMHO.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Re-read my statement carefully. Taking a standard line-out signal from an aftermarket HU and feeding it straight to a BOSE amp doesn't sound good at all. That's why that adapter costs "only" $24.00

The PD4 correctly BOSEfies the standard line-out signal from any HU (JVC, Clarion, Alpine, or whatever) and feeds it to the Bose amps. THE PD4 was too expensive for most people before, but is cheap as dirt now, if you can find one. Well worth it IMHO.
the only reason it would sound bad if it's out putting from the HU amp and feeding the bose amps.

feeding from the from the HU line out BY passing the built in amp and feeind the audio to the bose is best documented solution and is said to sound good.

because i don't know the technically details behind "boseifing" i have no idea if it's the same exact thing or some special filer or crossover circuit or even just the same thing.

has any one tried both the "Amp integration Harness Metra Part 70-7551" and the "PD4"?
Old 08-10-2013, 06:10 AM

the only reason it would sound bad if it's out putting from the HU amp and feeding the bose amps.

feeding from the from the HU line out BY passing the built in amp and feeind the audio to the bose is best documented solution and is said to sound good.

because i don't know the technically details behind "boseifing" i have no idea if it's the same exact thing or some special filer or crossover circuit or even just the same thing.

has any one tried both the "Amp integration Harness Metra Part 70-7551" and the "PD4"?
Hey man, I tried. The information is all right there for you to digest and interprest as you wish. You will obviously do what you're going to do. More power to you.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:22 PM

in the first post you said it took the amplified signal and then reduce it, which according the BOSE guide says 70-7551 doesn't do then replied back and i missed the importance of the word "correctly" this implies it does something more or differently than the 70-7551. So either way i'll have to take you word for it and try and snag a PD4 off fleabay if i get a chance. It's just that it be cooler to know waht it does when it "bosefies" ie what the AudioLink PD4 doesn't do.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 AM

in the first post you said it took the amplified signal and then reduce it....
You're right. I did say that. It was in the paragraph that started with "The disadvantage to other bose adapters......"
Old 08-17-2013, 08:58 PM

well fleabay brought up zilch. is there a part number for it that i should be searching?