5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clicking when stepping on brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 05:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Clicking when stepping on brake

Whenever I step on the brake (in drive), I get a clicking noise. This is a different click than you normally get when you are in park. I've looked under the dash and it sounds like it's coming from one of the switches. I've been to the dealer four times already for this problem and the say it's normal, that it's the switch for the brake light or the cruise control and there's nothing they can do. What a bunch of BS. Can I just lubricate the switches? Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Clicking when stepping on brake

Originally posted by steelymatt
Whenever I step on the brake (in drive), I get a clicking noise. This is a different click than you normally get when you are in park. I've looked under the dash and it sounds like it's coming from one of the switches. I've been to the dealer four times already for this problem and the say it's normal, that it's the switch for the brake light or the cruise control and there's nothing they can do. What a bunch of BS. Can I just lubricate the switches? Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks.
try different dealers and listen to what they have to say.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:33 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You probably have a loud brake light switch or brake light relay.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:56 PM

Thanks.
If you're still under warranty, make them replace the switches. Complain, B!tch and Moan constantly until they give in. Call Nissan too. Maybe the switch will "mysteriously fail" before you go to the dealer.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:58 PM

Thanks.
If its coming from under the dash most likely it is the click coming from the relay, in which case u can't do much. You could track down the relay involved and wrap it with some dynamatting material to minimze the click.

Try putting the car in neutral and observe if the same time u hear the click the brake lights come on, if so it is the relay click. If this is a different click try the same while in drive just remember to keep ur eyes on the road.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:48 PM

If you have an auto, it could just be the shift-lock unlocking.
Old 01-16-2002, 07:27 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

You know now that you mention it....

I have noticed the other day that pressing on the brake I have the same noise. Sounds like something is loose, not so much a specific click. I have a 5spd so it cant be the shift lock. It (the noise) was not there last week so I wonder what...?

Hmmmmm
Old 01-16-2002, 03:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for your help guys. I was able to fix it myself. It turned out to be an extra/loose metal piece in the switch for the shift lock. I put some vaseline in there and it's quiet now.