5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Still Having Big Problems....

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 07:57 PM
maxgle01

Still Having Big Problems....

I WROTE A COUPLE WEEKS AGO ABOUT MY COLD STARTING PROBLEMS. 2-3 TIMES PER WEEK MY CAR WILL CRANK AND CRANK AND FINALLY TURN OVER, NOT STARTING NORMALLY. THIS IS THE FOURTH TIME A BROUGHT IT BACK TO THE DEALER. MY CAR IS 4 MONTHS OLD AND HAS 1800 MILES. THE DEALER SAYS THAT THEY HAVE STARTED IT NUMEROUS TIMES BUT, OF COURSE, "CAN'T REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM". THEY HAVE TRIED REPROGRAMMING CPU BUT IT HASN'T HELPED. I AM SICK OF HAVING A BRAND NEW CAR THAT GIVES ME SUCH HEADACHES. I AM STILL DISCUSSING THE ISSUE WITH NATIONAL NISSAN, BUT DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? MY CURRENT IMPRESSION IS THAT NISSAN PRODUCTS ARE VERY POOR AND THAT THE NISSAN COMPANY IS COMPLETELY CLUELESS ABOUT THEIR PRODUCTS.

MAXGLE01

Old 01-16-2002, 06:06 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Someone please tell him where the caps lock button is located on his keyboard.

Clee you had a nice picture of it with circles and arrows, can you put that up for him please?

Oh and sorry your having so many issues with you car. Next time it acts up, don't start it, leave it in your driveway and have a tech come to your house so you can demo the problem for them.
Old 01-16-2002, 07:26 AM

I think it tends to go away after 6000 miles or so... I was concerned about my car having a similar problem and it hardly ever does it anymore. Perhaps you could arrange to let your car sit overnight at the dealer and then let them try and start it in the morning and see if the problem occurs.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:22 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Cold Starting Proceedures

When my Accord had low mileage on it I had a couple of starting problems. On each occasion I had trouble, there were a few things I flagged that occured each time.

1) It was raining
2) Air pressure was quite low (because of storms).
3) It was quite cold out.

I went to my trusty owner's manual and read the starting proceedures section. It said that in cold weather and/or at high altitude you may have trouble starting. To help get it started it told me to open the throttle about halfway while starting. Viola. Problem solved. I'm not at high altitude, but the low pressure from storms has the same effect as high altitude.

I'm sure the Maxima is similar in this respect and might have something almost identical in the owner's manual.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by djmaxski
I think it tends to go away after 6000 miles or so... I was concerned about my car having a similar problem and it hardly ever does it anymore. Perhaps you could arrange to let your car sit overnight at the dealer and then let them try and start it in the morning and see if the problem occurs.

not always true.. i still experience this and i have 22,000 miles on my car.. someone in another thread mentioned turning the key to the on position for a few seconds before starting the car. i've been trying that and it's worked fine every time i've done it, so maybe you could try that method.. although i agree this shouldn't even be an issue to begin with
Old 01-16-2002, 09:05 AM

Same problem - haven't brought it back to the dealer..

Yeah, it happened a couple of times to me. The first time it happened I almost couldn't get it started, and when it caught, it coughed and sputtered for about 15 seconds. Once it warmed up it was fine. Its happed a couple time since, but not as bad. I have about 15K on it. Next time - I'll take it to the dealer - and ***** about my rotors at the same time.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:33 AM
maxgle01

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Someone please tell him where the caps lock button is located on his keyboard.

Clee you had a nice picture of it with circles and arrows, can you put that up for him please?

Oh and sorry your having so many issues with you car. Next time it acts up, don't start it, leave it in your driveway and have a tech come to your house so you can demo the problem for them.

My frustration with my maxima required the use of all capital letters. Thanks to all who responded seriously.

Old 01-16-2002, 10:56 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Bad gas maybe? Fuel pump problem? Let the dealer keep the car for a day or two. If that doesn't help take it to another Nissan dealer.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:33 PM
maxgle01

Originally posted by maximadave
Bad gas maybe? Fuel pump problem? Let the dealer keep the car for a day or two. If that doesn't help take it to another Nissan dealer.
The clueless dealer just gave me my car back after an entire week and still can't figure it out.

Old 01-16-2002, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by maxgle01

The clueless dealer just gave me my car back after an entire week and still can't figure it out.

WTF....a whole week and they still didnt' solve the problem...damn...them dealers are stupid
Old 01-16-2002, 05:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i feel you pain also although not as often. i had
that same situation happened to me after a rainy
night although i had a full tank and car was inside
the garage. Please keep me posted on how the
situation was solved as i know i will face it
again. Good luck
Old 01-16-2002, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Jeff2k1GLE
not always true.. i still experience this and i have 22,000 miles on my car.. someone in another thread mentioned turning the key to the on position for a few seconds before starting the car. i've been trying that and it's worked fine every time i've done it, so maybe you could try that method.. although i agree this shouldn't even be an issue to begin with
I'm just guessing, but I think turning the key to the "ON" position for a few seconds will give the fuel pump some time to raise the fuel pressure in the line, thereby promoting adequate fuel delivery. Not allowing that to happen could be part of the reason why some have experienced starting problems.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My max used to have trouble starting but since I got my remote starter I haven't had one problem. When the car starts off the remote, I can hear something going on, I'm guessing with the fuel pump or fuel pressure. It sounds like it's sending plenty of gas down there. Makes me think that the starting problem is related to the fuel pump.

Matt