5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New alternator, now a/c compressor won't fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:31 AM

New alternator, now a/c compressor won't fit?

After going from an aftermarket high output alt to the oem on an 02 maxima, the a/c compressor won't line up. Seems the issue is that the alternator is too low. It's below the 2 top screws the a/c compressor would fit onto. I tried undoing the top screw (that screws into the metal plate) and pushing it up as far as it'll go but it seems to only go up so far.

*Update* I figured out the issue. The aftermarket alt was smaller or just built different. There was an added retrofit plate that doesn't belong on OEM that blocked the alt from reaching the screw. I will upload a picture later. I'm hoping I can remove the whole alternator top screw mount (or hose from the radiator attached to the side of the engine) and remove the screw (or get someone to break the screw as it's long) . I do have the compressor in now though! Nothing like progress!

Picture :

Last edited by baalpeteor; 08-20-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:14 AM

Looks like the rebuilder shipped the alternator with the testing jig still attached.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
Looks like the rebuilder shipped the alternator with the testing jig still attached.

that metal bracket? I still couldn't get it off but I tightened the big bolt until I get a mech to powerdrill it off. there's 2 screws holding that bracket to the engine, and while one came off, the other won't. That's after trying all known sizes that fit , both ratchet and wrench. just seems like the screw is stripping. I moved it out of the way and it runs fine.

it was used to hold the previous high output , small pulley alternator. The alt had a unique piece on it that had about 8 or more screw holes to fit various size engines . It used that metal bracket.