5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Transmission and/or ABS sensor???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013 | 12:57 AM

Transmission and/or ABS sensor???

So I have a 2000 Infiniti I30T, and as I was driving it on the freeway I noticed it started to decelerate. I exited off the ramp and had to pull over and see what was going on under the hood. I observed nothing out of the ordinary, but my transmission fluid was a bit low so I poured a little in, since I had some on hand. When I got back in my car and started it up, I put it on drive and noticed the car was making some crazy sounds, metal on metal, AND it was not moving Not moving under 1, 2, or reverse either. But did make sounds under all gears. Instantly im thinking transmission is gone....

I decided to call AAA tow. Here's where it gets interesting. Dude tries to get under the front crossmember with his tow device and lifts it a bit, but my wheel was close to the curb and the metal tow that scoops under my front tires couldn't get under it. So he tries to adjust it and all of a sudden the car comes crashing down on the 2 front wheels. I tell my father, he was with me, this moron better be careful... So while the car is in park, we noticed it moved back and forth like it was in neutral. It confirmed the tranny was blown.

But I get home and turn the car on hoping for a miracle, and noticed the ABS/TC/SLIP is illuminated. I could of swore I did not notice this before the tow.

Question:

1) Did this guy screw up my "wheel sensor" aka abs sensor when the front of my car crashed?

2) Or could the tranny being all blown to bits, have caused the lights to have turned on?

I suspect the tow guy was at fault since both my dad and I did not notice this while we were troubleshooting waiting for him to arrive. Also, it smelled like burnt electronic or burnt rubber when this happened. He claimed it was the tranny being blown, but now that I think about it, he prob said it to cover his ***.

If it is the ABS sensors, the car fell on both front tires. Which sensors could have got damaged? In past posts, I see rear abs sensors fail the most. But I think in my case it would be the front ones right?

So pissed right now, I'm going to be out of $1500 for the tranny (used) and labor. Now I got to worry about something else....

What are the chances the tranny caused the lights to turn on? But all three TCS, SLIP, and ABS??? Feels like a whole seperate problem this guy put on my hands.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 10-02-2013 | 11:39 AM

Bump...

I know that's a lot to read ^^^^^^^^^, so in a nut shell:

If the cars moves while it's in park, meaning I can get out and push it, does that mean the tranny is gone?? Because when I step on the gas peddle while the car is on, rpms go up but no movement in any gear.

My trans mech. told me that it could be the axles??? It does make some sounds when I shift gears from P to R to D and so on....

Please, any help is appreciated. I need to fix this asap.
Old 10-02-2013 | 12:41 PM

yeah axles would explain it not moving and also moving while in park, but ive not heard of that happening in any maxima yet. Its easy to pull the axles and check, plus you would have to do that in order to swap the tranny anyway so might as well check there first.

as for the light, honestly I dont know. You might be getting a light because you had it in gear and revving up the motor but it didnt register any movement on the ABS sensors so it thinks there was an ABS problem. I would sort out the tranny before worrying about the light