5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Exhaust Bpipe question, is it necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 11:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Exhaust Bpipe question, is it necessary?

Alright this question is for all you Exhaust Techies. I know I dont know a rack about how much effect it does on the engine. But I do know that backpressure caused by bottlenecks is a major HP loss.

Now, in my 2001 Maxima immediately after the Resonator there is a nice crimp in the crimp in the pipe that Nissan thought was perfect to put there to hold their hanger to. There is also another crimp before the resonator (after the cat) and then a huge bottleneck where the Bpipe takes the nice 90degree turn to proceed into the muffler pipe.

Now I am going to get a estimate on a custom mandrel bent Bpipe. I will have a Ypipe soon, in 2weeks, I already got a custom muffler and a straight pipe.

Now by me getting a custom Mandreal Bent Bpipe, is that really going to make much of a difference on the HP to the wheels? Only reason I am asking is because of how it is near the end of the exhaust already, and most things that far back dont affect the HP too much.

Any information or comments would be appreciated since I really want to do this, but only if I am going to see a gain worth spending the money on.

Dixit

ALSO, Where can I get a 36" Resonator from, I want to drone out as much as sound as possible, once I get the Ypipe, my muffler is going to be obnoxiously loud.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:14 PM

Aight, no one got info on this? Where Hogan, Kev, MY4DSC, and all the other Exhaust Technical people when you need them?

Dixit
Old 01-17-2002, 04:41 PM

b-pipe set up

I read your thread and I may have a much cheaper alternitive. See this recent partial post by Dallas on the 4th Gen forum. We are addressing this issue and we know we can do it cheaper than what a shop will charge you to get it custom mandrel bent.

"We also are doing a little thing with the front section of the B pipe where we eliminate or replace the resonator and the "s" looking section on the 97-2001 where the o2 sensor plugs in right ahead of the resonator. It will also eliminate that crushed area all the gen 4 and 5 cars have right behind the resonator. So far tests have shown we can pickup at least 2-3 mpg when cruising and I know it will help exhaust flow as the crushed section behind the resonator is crushed to about 1" thick from its original 2" diameter.

We simply detach the B pipe from cat and then cut the old B pipe off in the lateral straight section about 14" after the front hanger (the one behind the resonator)and slip the new mandrel bent section over the end and clamp in place. We will have a specially designed o2 insert which will allow plenty of clearance (for the 1997-2001) and will offer the pipe with or without a resonator. It will eliminate the ground clearance issues for the stock resonator, I have never seen one yet that was not dented. Under $100 with resonator.

We are also making an adapter for the gen 4 mufflers to enable the installation of a 2000-2002 muffler.
Busy week ahead, we have several people coming in for sfc installs and we are trying to get about 40 sets complete. The Gen 4 sfc's will be the first available as our other 2 gen 3 and gen 5 cars will be in a little later this or next week." Dallas WSP

Peyton will be getting his 5th Gen car fitted with SFCs, we plan to do the fitting and bending to add this piece to our ever growing list of Maxima mods. If you are interested call us 1-866-801-9338 or visit our web page WarpSpeedPerformance.

Dan WSP
Old 01-17-2002, 04:42 PM
Got Bent?

a b-pipe alone won't do much unless you have a y-pipe. I know you already know this though But, if you are going to finish off your exhaust, you might as well get a b-pipe also. You most likely won't see any big gains, however.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:57 PM

Re: b-pipe set up

Originally posted by Dan 93 SE
"We also are doing a little thing with the front section of the B pipe where we eliminate or replace the resonator and the "s" looking section on the 97-2001 where the o2 sensor plugs in right ahead of the resonator. It will also eliminate that crushed area all the gen 4 and 5 cars have right behind the resonator. So far tests have shown we can pickup at least 2-3 mpg when cruising and I know it will help exhaust flow as the crushed section behind the resonator is crushed to about 1" thick from its original 2" diameter.

We simply detach the B pipe from cat and then cut the old B pipe off in the lateral straight section about 14" after the front hanger (the one behind the resonator)and slip the new mandrel bent section over the end and clamp in place. We will have a specially designed o2 insert which will allow plenty of clearance (for the 1997-2001) and will offer the pipe with or without a resonator. It will eliminate the ground clearance issues for the stock resonator, I have never seen one yet that was not dented. Under $100 with resonator.

Dan WSP
Dan, thanks for the reply, question I have is that I have NO O2 sensors after the Ypipe, there are two on there, and that is it. The rest are earlier than the Ypipe. I just installed a Testpipe, and Needed no O2 sensor for that. Also looked at the rest of the exhaust from Cat back, no O2 needed there.

Now what my problem still is that the stock resonator seems like it is using 2" piping, You can see in my pic here where the testpipe ends and the header clamp for the bpipe starts, see how much thinner that pipe is compared to the 2.5" testpipe? So still running into bottleneck there. Only way I see possible is making a new Bpipe from there, need new header clamp to attach to back of cat (or testpipe), new 2.5" straight through resonator about 24" in length, and one more header clamp for the end of the Bpipe to attach to the header clamp of the muffler pipe. That is where the cost might get up there. But if you can do it for $100, Shiet, I am in. Make me one, I will test the crap out of it. I wanted a 36" resonator to drone out the sound as much as possible due to the fact I am getting a Ypipe soon.

Dixit
Old 01-17-2002, 05:07 PM

B-pipe ?

I am unsure of where your PICs are that you are referring to? This likely is not a huge issue. If you have PICs you can always send me an e-mail and I will forward them to Dallas.

Dan WSP
Old 01-17-2002, 05:24 PM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Re: B-pipe ?

I am unsure of where your PICs are that you are referring to? This likely is not a huge issue. If you have PICs you can always send me an e-mail and I will forward them to Dallas.

Dan WSP
I emailed you about a week and a half ago about the availability of your 5th gen Y and B pipes.

Anyway, the 2000 models were the last that had two emissions systems, CA & Fed. The Fed version has the O2 sensor after the cat whereas the CA version does not. In the 2001 model all are CA emissions. So if you're going to make b pipes for the 5th gen you may have to accommodate both versions.

I think what BigDog is saying is that he has the CA version (no aft O2 sensor) b pipe and that your b pipe should bolt directly onto the cat (or test pipe in his case) with a flange. The other end of the b pipe should also have a flange to bolt up directly to the muffler.

So from the looks of it, it looks like you might offer 4 versions in all

1) CA/NLEV B pipe no resonator
2) CA/NLEV B pipe w/resonator
3) Fed B pipe no resonator
4) Fed B pipe w/resonator

Looking forward to the pipes man. Definitely inform us when ready.

Peace....
Old 01-17-2002, 05:43 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: b-pipe set up

You know, my 5th gen actually does not have that piece right after the cat that goes down. That might be a 2000 fed only issue. I have a calif emissions one and the bpipe goes right into the cat with no o2's.

I read your thread and I may have a much cheaper alternitive. See this recent partial post by Dallas on the 4th Gen forum. We are addressing this issue and we know we can do it cheaper than what a shop will charge you to get it custom mandrel bent.

We are also making an adapter for the gen 4 mufflers to enable the installation of a 2000-2002 muffler.
Busy week ahead, we have several people coming in for sfc installs and we are trying to get about 40 sets complete. The Gen 4 sfc's will be the first available as our other 2 gen 3 and gen 5 cars will be in a little later this or next week." Dallas WSP

Peyton will be getting his 5th Gen car fitted with SFCs, we plan to do the fitting and bending to add this piece to our ever growing list of Maxima mods. If you are interested call us 1-866-801-9338 or visit our web page WarpSpeedPerformance.

Dan WSP

Old 01-17-2002, 05:46 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: B-pipe ?

Actually 2 versions would work with a bolt for the o2 to seal it if it's not used so it makes it available for both models....

Originally posted by 2K2DEMAX

I emailed you about a week and a half ago about the availability of your 5th gen Y and B pipes.

Anyway, the 2000 models were the last that had two emissions systems, CA & Fed. The Fed version has the O2 sensor after the cat whereas the CA version does not. In the 2001 model all are CA emissions. So if you're going to make b pipes for the 5th gen you may have to accommodate both versions.

I think what BigDog is saying is that he has the CA version (no aft O2 sensor) b pipe and that your b pipe should bolt directly onto the cat (or test pipe in his case) with a flange. The other end of the b pipe should also have a flange to bolt up directly to the muffler.

So from the looks of it, it looks like you might offer 4 versions in all

1) CA/NLEV B pipe no resonator
2) CA/NLEV B pipe w/resonator
3) Fed B pipe no resonator
4) Fed B pipe w/resonator

Looking forward to the pipes man. Definitely inform us when ready.

Peace....

Old 01-17-2002, 05:53 PM

b-pipe

Russ, I e-mailed Dallas regarding this thread. We can look at Peytons car in a few days. Getting cars to work on can be a pain. He seems to think it's not going to be that difficult. A under car PIC would help me understand if anyone has one.
OH Russ, I will be flying through Houston in early March on way to some warm weather.I have a 3 hour lay over. If you don't live too far from airport we might be able to hook up for lunch. I'll buy.

Dan WSP
Old 01-17-2002, 05:57 PM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Re: Re: Re: B-pipe ?

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Actually 2 versions would work with a bolt for the o2 to seal it if it's not used so it makes it available for both models....

...That's even better. As long as he's aware of the differences.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:03 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: b-pipe

Russ, I e-mailed Dallas regarding this thread. We can look at Peytons car in a few days. Getting cars to work on can be a pain. He seems to think it's not going to be that difficult. A under car PIC would help me understand if anyone has one.
OH Russ, I will be flying through Houston in early March on way to some warm weather.I have a 3 hour lay over. If you don't live too far from airport we might be able to hook up for lunch. I'll buy.

Dan WSP
Houston?! I live 200 miles WEST! San Antonio!

Come to SA!

Old 01-17-2002, 06:24 PM

In all the excitement, I just COMPLETELY forgot to attach the picture.

http://bigdogjonx.gixxer.com/exhaust...einstalled.jpg

You can see on the right side how the Bpipe Header clamp and the pipe coming right off it begins to shrivel down to about a 2" diameter. You can clearly see it compared to the 2.5" testpipe.

The other question I had, I know people must Bug you day in and out about this, but I know the whole 5thgen World is waiting and wanting to know when your release date on our Ypipes are going to be? I am DYYYYYYYYYYYING for one, I need a CaliSpec. I would love to test one out. I will pay for it and everything. But man I want one. Help us 5th genners out with a 3rd choice of Ypipes.

Dixit