5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Steering fluid leaking from big NUT on steering rack. Alternative to replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 12:06 PM

Steering fluid leaking from big NUT on steering rack. Alternative to replacement?

My 2003 Maxima has 89,xxx miles on it.

It had 42k when I bought it about 3.5 years ago.

Ever since I first bought it, I had noticed a small accumulation of power steering fluid, appearing to be almost enough to 'drip'. It appears to be coming from a large nut on the underside of the steering rack.

This small accumulation has grown into a small leak. I am just starting to notice small amounts of steering fluid on the ground where I park.

I have asked at the garages where I get my oil changed, and at a parts store or two, and I have been told that the only thing to do would be to replace the steering rack.

The next time I get my oil changed, I plan on getting some good pictures, and I will post them here.

I have a difficult time accepting that there is not a better, easier, cheaper solution. The nut is leaking. Can it be tightened? Replaced? Is there a seal around the nut that can be replaced?

Has anyone out there experienced this?
Old 03-12-2014, 11:49 AM

I have noticed this on my 03 GXE (49,xxx miles). Mine is more of a weep, or seepage. For the past year, every time I get under the car I notice a big drop of p/s fluid on the large nut on the rack. It must be accumulating very slowly, as the level of fluid is still full, and I have never had to top it off. It does concern me, though...more so after reading about yours turning from a small accumulation to a leak. I have searched the forum but did not find any info pertaining to this particular issue. I would be curious to know what path you end up taking to correct this.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:46 PM

It could be the high pressure power steering hose leaking which happens at about that mileage on our cars. It could be a leak someplace in the insulated part and its just running down to the bolt, its known as a banjo bolt. Pull back the insulated part of that hose and see if you see fluid, if so thats your issue. BTW yes it can be tightened.

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 03-12-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Another option may be to add some stop leak stuff like eagle one products. I have two PS leaks and decided to try the stop leak from eagle one to see if it works. Only 8 bucks so it's a cheap fox if it works for now.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:06 PM

big nut on steering rack ? The only big nut I can think of is the one behind the passenger front wheel ....in relation to power steering fluid
Old 03-13-2014, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
It could be the high pressure power steering hose leaking which happens at about that mileage on our cars. It could be a leak someplace in the insulated part and its just running down to the bolt, its known as a banjo bolt. Pull back the insulated part of that hose and see if you see fluid, if so thats your issue. BTW yes it can be tightened.
This was my first thought as well, since this is a known issue on our cars. However, the nut is on the driver's side of the car, while the high pressure power steering hose is on the passenger's side (goes from around the strut tower down to the power steering pump, right?). I peeled back the insulation on the high pressure hose and mine is dry as a bone...for now anyway.

Foodmanry- I might try the stop leak route. Did you have success with it?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Mad__Max
This was my first thought as well, since this is a known issue on our cars. However, the nut is on the driver's side of the car, while the high pressure power steering hose is on the passenger's side (goes from around the strut tower down to the power steering pump, right?). I peeled back the insulation on the high pressure hose and mine is dry as a bone...for now anyway. Foodmanry- I might try the stop leak route. Did you have success with it?
Too early to tell...I need to get my engine bay and underside steam cleaned to really see. May do that in a couple weeks.