5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

window wont budge

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:38 PM

window wont budge

Well my rear driver side window has quit rolling down. I thought It may have something to do with the fact that I converted all the switches to blue. Well ive tried 3 different master control switches and 3 different rear driver side switches.. no luck. The first day it did it... it sounded like it was trying to roll down.. but from there on it doesnt even make a sound.. as if no powers getting to it.
Question I have is how do I diagnose whats going on from here?
Old 04-08-2014, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by King_Ten_Ahead
Well my rear driver side window has quit rolling down. I thought It may have something to do with the fact that I converted all the switches to blue. Well ive tried 3 different master control switches and 3 different rear driver side switches.. no luck. The first day it did it... it sounded like it was trying to roll down.. but from there on it doesnt even make a sound.. as if no powers getting to it.
Question I have is how do I diagnose whats going on from here?
Well it's sounding like your regulator/motor is shot.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83

Well it's sounding like your regulator/motor is shot.
Thats what I was thinking.. but how do I go about testing it before I buy another one!?
Old 04-08-2014, 03:03 PM

The fsm has listed where 12v gets applied directly to the motor, if you apply it and it doesn't work that'd tell you the motor was fried.

I'm not sure which pins they are but if you download the fsm it'll tell you
Old 04-08-2014, 06:27 PM

Will be sure to do next time i open my door panels up to insert my leather panels. With my luck itll work when I hook up the battery and ill be back ar square one-_-
Old 04-08-2014, 10:02 PM

You don't need to pull the door panel off to do a voltage check.

Pop out the window switch from the door panel (pry up on the back end). Locate the solid blue and solid green wires in the wire harness connector. These go to the motor. These are wire numbers 1 & 2.

Leave the wire harness plugged into the window switch.

CAUTION: Those geniuses at Nissan put 2 solid green wires in this connector. They are not the same thing.

The wires you want are in the row of 5 wires. The wires you want are both the second wire from each end.

Code:
 ╔═══╦═══╦═══════╦═══╗
 ║ 6 ║ 7 ║ LOCK  ║   ║
 ╠═══╬═══╬═══╦═══╬═══╣
 ║ 4 ║ 1 ║ 3 ║ 2 ║ 5 ║
 ╚═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╝
If you have a digital volt meter, it will be a little easier.
Put the positive lead on the green wire, pin 2.
Put the negative lead on the blue wire, pin 1.

Press the window switch to make the window go down. If the switches are good, you will read 12 volts.

If you are using a digital volt meter, press the window switch to make the window go up. If the switches are good, you will read negative 12 volts. If you are using an analog volt meter, you will need to reverse the meter lead connections. Analog meters cannot display negative voltages.

In summary:
window up - pin 1 (blue wire) is 12 volts and pin 2 is ground

window down - pin 2 (green wire) is 12 volts and pin 1 is ground

Last edited by DennisMik; 04-08-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
You don't need to pull the door panel off to do a voltage check.

Pop out the window switch from the door panel (pry up on the back end). Locate the solid blue and solid green wires in the wire harness connector. These go to the motor. These are wire numbers 1 & 2.

Leave the wire harness plugged into the window switch.

CAUTION: Those geniuses at Nissan put 2 solid green wires in this connector. They are not the same thing.

The wires you want are in the row of 5 wires. The wires you want are both the second wire from each end.

╔═══╦═══╦═══════╦═══╗
║ 6 ║ 7 ║ LOCK ║ ║
╠═══╬═══╬═══╦═══╬═══╣
║ 4 ║ 1 ║ 3 ║ 2 ║ 5 ║
╚═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╝

If you have a digital volt meter, it will be a little easier.
Put the positive lead on the green wire, pin 2.
Put the negative lead on the blue wire, pin 1.

Press the window switch to make the window go down. If the switches are good, you will read 12 volts.

If you are using a digital volt meter, press the window switch to make the window go up. If the switches are good, you will read negative 12 volts. If you are using an analog volt meter, you will need to reverse the meter lead connections. Analog meters cannot display negative voltages.

In summary:
window up - pin 1 (blue wire) is 12 volts and pin 2 is ground

window down - pin 2 (green wire) is 12 volts and pin 1 is ground
Holy thanksor the amount of work you put in to give that help!!
Old 05-25-2014, 04:05 PM

Well ive replaced evwrything three times over

Master switch
Window switch.
Motor.

Nothing..still wont move.

So I guess theres an issue with the wiring.

Yay
Old 05-26-2014, 08:27 AM

Did you do the voltage test? If so, what did you get?

While you say you don't hear the motor, how certain are you that is is not running? Have you put your hand on it to see if you can feel vibrations?

Since you have replaced motors and switches, it sounds logical that you might have a wiring problem. But if that is true, I don't think the voltage test that I described would have displayed correct results.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:49 PM

Did you do the voltage test? If so, what did you get?

While you say you don't hear the motor, how certain are you that is is not running? Have you put your hand on it to see if you can feel vibrations?

Since you have replaced motors and switches, it sounds logical that you might have a wiring problem. But if that is true, I don't think the voltage test that I described would have displayed correct results.
My voltage meter is MIA unfortunately. . Ive been looking for a while and decided to just pick up a motor at the junkyard when I was there yesterday.. theres no vibrations, movement, sounds, nada. So I do think it has to be a wiring issue, even without the voltage test. Because there's nothing else for me to replace at this point!
Old 05-27-2014, 10:32 PM

Without a volt meter, you will have to carefully inspect the wire harness for some kind of damage. The most vulnerable spot would be where the harness comes out of the door and goes into the pillar that the door bolts on to, the B pillar.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:58 AM

Without a volt meter, you will have to carefully inspect the wire harness for some kind of damage. The most vulnerable spot would be where the harness comes out of the door and goes into the pillar that the door bolts on to, the B pillar.
Thats the first place I checked and it appears there arent any issues. I did go out and buy another volt meter last night. When I have time to tear the door panels apart I will. Thanks again for all of your help!