5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine Ping need help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:17 PM

Engine Ping need help...

I've about had it with this POS. I've been dealing with ping for a long time now. Premium gas helps, but it still pings a bit around 1900RPMs. I put colder plugs in and tried to run regular gas, pings like a mad c***. I also did the rear valve cover gasket recently. There is a small amount of oil in some of the cylinders. I stupidly didn't realize I should've done both gaskets and covers to replace the seals around the spark plug chambers. Can oil on the plugs cause the pinging? Keep in mind, Premium REALLY helps with the pinging, but doesn't completely eliminate it. Also, I get O2 codes from time to time. I have them right now and will pull them tomorrow and post. I've heard that a clogged cat can cause the pinging and I'm thinking about doing a test pipe anyway so that may be killing two birds with one stone. Is there any truth to that? What else should I be checking? Thanks and forgive my information spew. Just getting a little frustrated. Edit: I have a 2002 3.5 six speed
Edit:
The code I have right now is P0430

Edit:
After a quick search, I'm going have my cat cut out and a pipe welded in tomorrow. We will see how that goes. It is worth noting to that sometimes I feel like I'm loosing power when I step on the gas at lower RPMs. Almost feels like a clutch slip (and I guess it could be that too).

Last edited by Outatime28; 04-08-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 PM

I would be surprised if the test pipe does anything for the pinging. Have you had the timing checked? Maybe that is off.

The P0430 is for the bank 2 pre-cat.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I would be surprised if the test pipe does anything for the pinging. Have you had the timing checked? Maybe that is off.

The P0430 is for the bank 2 pre-cat.
I have read that some people have luck with eliminating the cat and it's cheap so I'm going to try it. Bank two is the right (back) side of the engine, right?
Old 04-09-2014, 04:51 AM

Yeah bank2 is right side of engine (that is in FRONT not back of engine). Bank1 can be removed without any codes IIRC, but with bank2 you might need a plug fouler if you get a CEL. And I doubt this will fix your problem.

BTW, colder plugs are for FI applications and using them can and will cause your N/A car problems. Very likely that can be the source of your ping right there. Put the correct plugs in and make sure there is no oil in there.

EDIT: Oh and you should use premium fuel. Maximas don't do well on regular, esp. if you already have ping

Last edited by D.Stillwell; 04-09-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
Yeah bank2 is right side of engine (that is in FRONT not back of engine). Bank1 can be removed without any codes IIRC, but with bank2 you might need a plug fouler if you get a CEL. And I doubt this will fix your problem.

BTW, colder plugs are for FI applications and using them can and will cause your N/A car problems. Very likely that can be the source of your ping right there. Put the correct plugs in and make sure there is no oil in there.

EDIT: Oh and you should use premium fuel. Maximas don't do well on regular, esp. if you already have ping

Thanks for the info on the precats. What a stupid *** design. Let me clarify. The pinging is just as bad as it was before I switched to colder plugs. It's exactly the same. I've read several places that cold plugs can help but don't always and shouldn't affect anything else. Time will tell. Car runs generally smoother with the new plugs.

Moving on, could oil on the plugs cause ping? I just don't see why that would. Also, has anybody tried adjusting engine timing? If I were to adjust it I would retard it right?
Old 04-09-2014, 07:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Replace your primary O2s if you've never replaced them before and try TCW3 to clean up your injectors;

http://forums.maxima.org/fluids-lubr...itive-new.html
Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 AM

I'm running tcw3. Forgot in my last tank but shouldn't make a huge difference. My car burns oil too and I think the precats or cat is clogged. I'm going to eliminate them and figure something out for the o2 sensors. That's another issue though. Back to the pinging....
Old 04-09-2014, 06:20 PM

I think I've solved the problem (for my purposes). My research has concluded that using anything less than Premium is verbotten even if your car is brand new. I thought that heavy pinging on 87 octane was abnormal, but I guess that isn't true. My car still pings just a bit on 93, but it's barely noticeable and only happens if conditions are perfect. I guess I just need to keep running 93.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell

No, they're not, completely. Colder plugs will reduce pinging, too.

Better call my 3.5 with colder plugs (NGK Iridiums) and tell it stop running so damn good. Over 200k and you'd think it's brand new.

If they're not NGKs, I'd throw them away.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 04-09-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn

Better call my 3.5 with colder plugs (NGK Iridiums) and tell it stop running so damn good. Over 200k and you'd think it's brand new.

Lol I'm not planning on taking out my new NGKs either :P
Old 04-09-2014, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn

So NGK Iridium is one step colder plugs? Mine pings (rattles) a bit only when I shift into 2nd gear only at around 2k rpm.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:41 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by svillegas2253
So NGK Iridium is one step colder plugs? Mine pings (rattles) a bit only when I shift into 2nd gear only at around 2k rpm.
If you get colder ones. The quickest way to find the part is searching for 350Z 1 step colder.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Outatime28
I think I've solved the problem (for my purposes). My research has concluded that using anything less than Premium is verbotten even if your car is brand new. I thought that heavy pinging on 87 octane was abnormal, but I guess that isn't true. My car still pings just a bit on 93, but it's barely noticeable and only happens if conditions are perfect. I guess I just need to keep running 93.
I think "alleviated" the problem is more of what happened here. Your knock sensor, when working properly should adjust timing when it detects ping/knocks. So any pings you hear should be momentary then silenced, more severely so with 87 octane than with 93 octane.

Anyway, IMO there's something else. You use TCW3 so that could have, over time, cleared out carbon deposits. So either a partially plugged cat or primary O2s are tired. If you've never changed the primary O2s before then they're probably sluggish and tired....and they wont throw a check engine light.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
I think "alleviated" the problem is more of what happened here. Your knock sensor, when working properly should adjust timing when it detects ping/knocks. So any pings you hear should be momentary then silenced, more severely so with 87 octane than with 93 octane.

Anyway, IMO there's something else. You use TCW3 so that could have, over time, cleared out carbon deposits. So either a partially plugged cat or primary O2s are tired. If you've never changed the primary O2s before then they're probably sluggish and tired....and they wont throw a check engine light.

GREAT post, thanks! When I run 93, the ping only lasts a split second at any given time, so I guess that's just the way it is supposed to be. I've been running TCW3 for maybe ten or so tanks now. I'm gonna keep running it and hopefully get my precats gutted (hopefully because I haven't found a shop that will do it yet) and put anti foulers on the o2 sensors.