5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AM/FM Tuner Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 01:20 PM

AM/FM Tuner Not Working

I posted this in the Audio Section, but I thought I would try here also. I have a 2000 Maxima (non Bose) with an aftermarket radio. The tuner stopped working but the CD and aux still work. I don't know if it's the tuner that has gone bad or if there's anything about the antenna that can go bad. I read somewhere on the forum where the antenna window wires go to an antenna amplifier that's located in the pillar on the passenger side between the window and door. Does my car have this amplifier even if it's a non Bose system? Is there any other way I can test the tuner other than taking the radio out and attaching a different antenna?
Thanks.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:44 AM

have you checked to make sure the cable from the antenna to the radio isnt disconnected.?
Old 05-27-2014, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by e.esco
have you checked to make sure the cable from the antenna to the radio isnt disconnected.?

I'm going to check that tomorrow. I guess sometimes the simplest thing can be the problem. I called my Nissan Dealership and I was told that they can't get the antenna amplifier anymore if that's the problem. I'm not familiar with the amplifier but to me if the antenna cable is plugged into the radio, and the amplifier is bad, it seems like I should be able to receive a local station if only a tiny bit. If it is plugged in do you know if there's a way to test the amplifier to find out for sure if it's bad or not?
Old 05-27-2014, 01:41 PM

Since Nissan did away with the rod type antenna and rely on the window antenna, all the Maximas have the amplifier.

Without fancy test equipment to check the voltage output, about all you can do is
A) first make sure all connections are OK at both ends
B) swap it into a working car.
and if money is not an issue,
C) get an amplifier from a junk yard and try it.
D) get a cheap antenna and plug it into the radio

But according to Courtesy Nissan, the amplifier is still available:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_sear...utton=Go&cat=1
Old 05-27-2014, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Since Nissan did away with the rod type antenna and rely on the window antenna, all the Maximas have the amplifier.

Without fancy test equipment to check the voltage output, about all you can do is
A) first make sure all connections are OK at both ends
B) swap it into a working car.
and if money is not an issue,
C) get an amplifier from a junk yard and try it.
D) get a cheap antenna and plug it into the radio

But according to Courtesy Nissan, the amplifier is still available:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_sear...utton=Go&cat=1

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably have trouble finding one in a junkyard but if I do will 2000-2003 be the only years that will work? My car is also a non Bose system.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:12 PM

The amplifier was used in all cars, regardless of which radio was installed.

When looking in a junkyard, look for a 5th gen Maxima. The amplifier part number changes for the 2004, probably because of the wire harness that is attached to it.

But you can also use the 2000/01 Infiniti i30 and the 2002/04 Infiniti i35 amplifier because that is the same body as the 5th gen Maxima.

FYI, the Nissan/Infiniti part number is 28230-2Y910
Old 05-27-2014, 10:19 PM

I forgot to mention in my first post that as a test, most of the time you can slide a small piece of metal into the antenna jack on the back of the radio. The diameter of the metal has to be the size of the tip of the plug on the antenna cable or slightly smaller. I have a small screwdriver that works but it could be a nail or anything about 1/8 or 3/16 inch. Then you touch the metal without touching any other metal parts of the car and you should be able to receive most radio stations. Try both AM and FM just in case you are not in an area with strong radio signals.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:02 PM

I took the radio out today and bought a cheat antenna to try to see if that would work. When I removed the antenna cable that was plugged into the radio the power went off to the radio. Of course without power I couldn't test it. When you mentioned to check connections on both ends I guess you meant the antenna amplifier. I'll call around and see if any of our junkyards have any 5th gen Maxima's and the Infiniti's you mentioned. Is there a diagram somewhere on the forum that shows the location of the amplifier and how to get to it as far what to remove? I believe I read that it was located on the passenger side in the pillar between the rear door and rear glass.

Last edited by Donnie; 05-30-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:14 PM

Unplugging the antenna cable should not have caused the power to cut off. Maybe you also pulled the wire harness out of the radio at the same time.

The antenna amplifier is located in the right side C pillar. The C pillar is the section of roof side between the rear door and the rear window. It's been a while since I've removed the C pillar trim, but I think you have to take the rear seat back off and maybe loosen the parcel shelf.

You seem to have convinced yourself that the antenna amplifier is your problem. Maybe you are right, but personally, I wouldn't go buy one yet until you test the radio with that "cheat" antenna.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Unplugging the antenna cable should not have caused the power to cut off. Maybe you also pulled the wire harness out of the radio at the same time.

The antenna amplifier is located in the right side C pillar. The C pillar is the section of roof side between the rear door and the rear window. It's been a while since I've removed the C pillar trim, but I think you have to take the rear seat back off and maybe loosen the parcel shelf.

You seem to have convinced yourself that the antenna amplifier is your problem. Maybe you are right, but personally, I wouldn't go buy one yet until you test the radio with that "cheat" antenna.

I don't know if it's the way the guy installed the aftermarket Sony radio or not, but all I did was unplug the antenna cable only and the power went off. I plugged it back in and the power came back on. I'm going to take the car to the guy that installed the radio and show him what it's doing and maybe he can test some things out to determine the problem. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks for all your help!