5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Courtesy Lights not turning on when I shut off engine.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Courtesy Lights not turning on when I shut off engine.

Hello,

I'm a newbie but a long time lurker of this forum and I want to start off by saying thank you to everyone for the great information that I have read through out the years, cheers to that! I have been able to successfully replace a few parts (camshaft sensors, belts, blower motor, voltage regulator, and tuneup) and saved myself a bit of money. There are some really smart individuals here and I'm hoping someone could provide me a solution or perhaps some insight on a rather small, but annoying issue I been facing with my courtesy (door) lights.

So far, I haven't been able to google any information with success that resembles my problem. I'm hoping someone here could help me out. Disclaimer: I am not a very smart car guy.

For starters, I'll start off by saying that I own a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE model and I am the original owner (Non BOSE addition).
The only mods that have been done in it's existence is a Viper Alarm 5900 series along with JL audio speakers for the doors installed back in 2006. I also installed a double din JVC radio back in 2012, and a few days ago I replaced my license plate and interior lights with white LED's.

Now onto the problem....

About a week ago I had the Viper alarm removed because the auto starter became defective. I have a lifetime warranty so I returned it to the local shop that originally installed it. They uninstalled it and mailed out the defective model back to the manufacturer and told me I had to wait a few weeks for the replacement. Since then, I have been using the factory alarm (that was never uninstalled) and I've noticed my courtesy lights no longer turn on after I turn off the engine. They do however work if I open the doors, but I remember that they use to also turn on by default after I turned off the engine.....

Now, my question is. Does everyone's courtesy lights turn on when they shut off their engine, or is that just a Viper feature? I've had the viper alarm so long now that I honestly don't remember what it was like when I first bought the car. I'm also wondering if maybe I shorted something out when I installed the white LED's? Or perhaps the technicians shorted something out when they uninstalled the viper system? So far I checked the fuse for the cabin lights and it's fine. I also removed the white led's and put back the halogen bulbs. Still doing the same thing..... Also, I read somewhere to check the dimmer for the cluster gauges? I guess they mentioned it if it's turned all the way up that might be the culprit? I tried it anyways with no success.

In the meantime I have turned the switch on my dome light to door. I originally had it on off because the courtesy lights would turn on and that was enough for me. I'm baffled here. Any help would be appreciated......

Spectre77
Old 06-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I also wanted to add that I just discovered yet another problem. In the past my locks would automatically unlock when I would turn off the car. Now it's not doing that anymore. Has anybody come across this before and do you know how to fix this?

Thanks again

Spectre77